Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62

Author Topic: SPAMDRAGON: Swamp Baron  (Read 36716 times)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMDRAGON: Mummy Wrecker
« Reply #495 on: June 21, 2017, 11:50:11 pm »

A) Describe the surroundings. Villages, sources of food, wealth, danger.
+1

Afterwards we should impress her into service. Would be great having an agent on the inside.
+1 to the whole "A then Z" thing, Maybe find out her name too.
+1 Describe surroundings and then impress the kobold into our services.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 22, 2017, 01:29:11 am »

A - describe the surroundings
eat the kobold. Lizardfolk are proper servants Not kobolds

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 22, 2017, 02:03:45 am »

Kobolds are lizard people? Well, dog/lizard people, but still.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 22, 2017, 04:48:42 am »

Depends on the myth...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 22, 2017, 05:17:05 am »

Unfortunately, this kobold is not as well travelled as others; in particular her friend Greegjil, who was obliterated in your first blast.  Oh well.  She does tell you what she does know, though.  The swamps, which seem to stretch for many miles before they cross into jungle to the south, sea to the east, plains to the west and mountains to the north, are inhabited primarily by kobolds as the main sapient species.  Kobolds don't really live in towns, but they have many hundreds of homesteads concealed amidst the swamps; by keeping their steads small and population thinly spread, they reduce the chance of being found and killed.  The creatures of the swamp don't seem to be their main worry, although plenty enough of them eat kobolds.  The big problem is that when large numbers of kobolds gather together, expeditions are sent either by the humans of the eastern plains or the dwarves of the northern mountains to kill them all.  Your informant doesn't know how many kobolds there are overall in the swamps, nor how many villages or anything about the lands beyond the swamp beyond the details thus gleaned.

She does know that villages tend to have thirty to fifty homesteads attached to them over a wide area, and that kobolds support themselves through a mixture of subsistence farming and hunting/gathering and trapping - lots of animal trapping.  There are many poisonous fruits and plants in the swamp, but some are good for eating and they gather those, as well as planting and harvesting fields of rice which have the benefit of high yields and low footprints, as well as surviving nicely in the flooded terrain.  With regards to wealth, she knows that kobolds sometimes make nice statuettes and pretty beads, but her people are pretty poor.  Occasionally armed bands of humans will trek through the swamp on their way to the sea, with horses laden down with all kinds of nice things, but generally even a large kobold raiding party would have trouble taking down such a caravan if they don't fall for traps.

The biggest danger, apart from the raptors and the acid lizards, this kobold considers to come from either ophidians (who don't leave their tombs, it seems) and something she calls the Swamp Wraith.  You ask her what the Swamp Wraith is; she doesn't know, it's apparently very fast, comes at night and likes to steal away and devour livestock, children and solitary adult kobolds.  It has been known to devour raptors and spitter lizards on occasion as well.  The good news is, there only seems to be one and it roams all around the swamps, so usually kobold homesteads are fine for most of the year and suffer about a week of nightmarish terror before it carries on.

This seems to be about all the kobold can tell you.  On a whim, you ask it its name.  "Gugujib," she replies.

"Now here's the thing, Gugujib.  I have two uses for you.  One is an immediate use, because I'm still hungry.  The other is longer term, requires your unquestioning loyalty, and means I have to go looking for more breakfast.  The main problem for you in this decision is the fact that I am ravenous and you woke me up before I was ready, so I'm pissed as well.  Now, are you a dependable sort of kobold, or are you brunch?"

7!

Gugujib immediately begins a torrent of begging and pleading and pledging herself to your service eternal that is both deeply flattering and probably sincere.  You let the supernatural fear of your draconic gaze bed itself into her eyes for a few moments, then withdraw your claw.  She scrambles to her feet, looks once at the exit, then awkwardly picks up her bow and sets it before you, prostrating herself in obedience.

Hmm.  Minion.  But what to do with her?

A) Use Gugujib as a spy; send her back to her own people with instructions to gather information on defences, locations and likely targets as well as figures of interest and importance.
B) Use Gugujib as a servant; she is a capable archer and huntress and can gather a bit of extra food for you while you sleep, not to mention tidy the lair up a bit and act as a lookout.
C) Use Gugujib as a warrior; she isn't the strongest of her people, but she is good with a bow and a spear and could be taught.  If she remained with you and devoted herself entirely to training at your behest she could improve.
D) Something else?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 22, 2017, 05:20:24 am »

B
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 22, 2017, 05:35:29 am »

A. I don't like using this kobold as a guard while we sleep, she's just gonna end up betraying us or failing to make any difference in actually protecting our dragon. Better to use her status as a kobold in a more aggressive manner.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 22, 2017, 07:07:47 am »

C! It's a lot like being a servant but less degrading and with a lot more relationship building involved. I feel like we would need a lookout for a place this large, preferably several in fact.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 22, 2017, 07:32:56 am »

A
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 22, 2017, 08:12:40 am »

B, Leaves us with less work to do when it comes to food finding.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 22, 2017, 08:59:11 am »

B
We rolled a 7, I doubt her loyalty is in question. She made a pledge after all.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 22, 2017, 10:20:02 am »

A
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 22, 2017, 10:21:20 am »

A. We have one kobold.
One.
Perfect for spying and very loyal, but later we should get actual masses for servitude. Who knows, maybe this one will become a skilled agent one day?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 22, 2017, 10:31:10 am »

A

Keeping her close is for when we are questioning her loyalty, not when we can trust in it.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 22, 2017, 11:00:35 am »

D: DINNER
A
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62