Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 41260 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:10 am »

Templeton Peck

Now, obviously it's a Twitter alias (unless it's the result of some '80s parents with a sadistic fanboi/gurl streak to them), but hard to tell whether it' s.Poe's Law account.  Most of the tweets are political in nature, anti-Labour and even agreeing with Paul Nuttall, so I can't resolve the message and tone of that 'revalation' as having the correct tone for the platform except as a set-up/fiction of some kind. (But the dialogue encouraging me to register with Twitter keeps popping over, inhibiting my analysis.)

(Seriously some of the retweets I see behind the popover are in "I'm not gonna drink your godda Kool-Aid!" camp.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:45:27 am by Starver »

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 07:07:51 am »

The guy who posted the Tweet is this one: https://twitter.com/MerryMichaelW

He's since deleted it though.

Ealing Council has responded on it.

I'm ahead of the news!

Spoiler: Bigger Image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:23:34 am by Necrothurge »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 01:05:32 pm »

I don't think some guy claiming second or third hand information on postal votes in a blurry screenshot is really news. I saw someone on another forum claim the Conservatives were ahead on postal votes, I think these rumours just spread around.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 04:25:42 pm »

Mrs. May wants to toughen Human Rights' laws 'cause terrorists.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 05:20:18 pm »

That sounds like the opposite of 'toughen', she wants to bend human rights laws (that is, loosen them) to make it easier to go after terrorists.

Gitmo anybody? Kind of sounds similar to what the Bush admin did, and didn't the British cry out over it?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 05:27:53 pm »

What's amusing is that it isn't the traditional "Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200" and more just forced to go down the snake to the bottom row of the board, to just annoy them but not really stopping the determined ones from coming back.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2017, 10:25:02 am »

Also, telling younger people that "older people are right because they are older/anything you think is wrong unless you defer to old people" is a great way to make them collectively stop voting for you.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2017, 11:58:54 am »

The Conservatives have really fucked over young people in particular in a myriad of ways and Labour is offering a lot of policies that will help them (eg tuition fee removal/forgiveness, minimum wage increases, investment to create jobs).

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2017, 10:00:13 pm »

Theresa May admits to being an edge lord in her youth.

Some of those tweets are highly entertaining.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2017, 10:09:17 pm »

I think I'm gonna be sick. How can a person do that and live with herself afterwards? What the fuck, are some people just born without the part of their brain that tells them what, not even morality, what basic anything is?

She's fucking sunk to reveal this right before the election though, I'll tell you that much. Even Tory loyalty isn't gonna keep that together. I wonder if any of them will actually denounce her, I know I would.

Laor majority here we come.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2017, 10:16:09 pm »

Lolwut sarcasm MSH. But yeah, it's like she pulled a Hillary Clinton by picking something boring like running through a wheat field.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2017, 11:39:53 am »

Falklands is an expensive White Elephant however, it's entirely symbolic. 60+ million pounds per year to protect a symbol of the glory days of the Empire.
Yeah, let Argentina have at it, then use that 60 million quid for something actually in the UK. People will forget about Falklands within an election or two, but the money saved is forever.
Falklands is a symbol but does it have so much value that's it's worth the money? Brits don't get some daily boost by remembering the Falklands, they only remember about it when it's in the papers.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/falkland-islands-cost-2012-2?r=US&IR=T
61 million pounds, with an annual increase of about 3 million pounds.
And when you count that as per-Falklander then it's about 25000 pound per person. You could hand that to Argentina, then offer all Falklanders an ongoing cash payment if they want to relocate, and still save money. After all they'll be spending that money in the UK.
I disagree; the Falklands are not a symbol of the glory days of Empire, whatever that is. The Empire's been dead for a long time, not a lot of people remember it, thus to maintain a symbol of something dead would not make sense - but you must be mistaken in believing that this most obscure of Atlantic islands is a symbol of the prestige of Empire.
What these islands symbolize is simple: They symbolize the Falkland Islands.

You talk of the Falkland Islands as if they are as you say, a white elephant, as if they were a statue in Trafalgar square or a social media campaign. I stress that they are not.
They are a self-sufficient country under the protection of the United Kingdom, who under international law have the right to exist and govern themselves. In all areas they stand by their own feet, under the protection of the United Kingdom. So by what right then can any merchant come along and tell a people they will be sold, their lands sold, their country sold to a foreign invader against their will? For some rather obvious reasons, I doubt that would go down any well in the United Kingdom. Britons do not live in a world where might makes right, where everything has a price and everything can be sold.

But of course, might does not make right, but it does make. Should we then be planning for war with Argentina, if we are expected to surrender without a fight? Is the drastic cost of these islands such a white elephant that our armed forces are to crumble and die? That would be a compelling argument, if it were true.
The issue therein is that the cost of defending the islands is 0.034% of our defence budget.
And you would say we should surrender our country and countrymen over pennies that poor? Dare I say, Argentina should better learn international law.

Is May becoming unpopular? or is this like... Trump where he was "unpopular"
Wouldn't say May was ever popular, so much as people had confidence in her because all of her opposition imploded. All in all I wish the Tories were less retarded and hypocritical in ways. Difficult election all around, personally I had to pick between choosing an MP who is spectacularly competent but would provide a strong voice against Brexit, which obviously I would rather not see occur. My alternative then would be to choose a middlingly competent MP from labour who would provide a weak voice against Brexit, or else vote for the Conservative MP who doesn't even live in my area and reeks of "doing this for the money".
It's not the most enjoyable of situations to be true, which is what I'm getting at in that a great deal of May's support can probably be attributed to her being an inoffensive and competent statesman. A situation is comparable to Hillary Clinton versus Bernie Sanders, wherein their respective parties chose the candidate who had the most experience running the security apparatus of the state - which while a positive, came with the baggage of running the security of the state, especially in such a time as mass surveillance and data retention has erked the public. I imagine upon any possible victory, her popularity stands to decrease further - especially given current attitudes towards cutting public spending in social services to redirect towards investment, which will cause significant angst in the years to come as people die from terrorism, obesity and hospital waiting lines. On the bright side, it does at least demonstrate long term commitment towards further developing a high-tech economy in emulation of Japan or the USA, which is a positive. Just "ignore the dying people" will no doubt be the party slogan 2020

*EDIT
wtf someone got the old thread banned and killed :<
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:41:27 am by Loud Whispers »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2017, 11:50:05 am »

Yay, lagslayer started advocating genocide to keep the white race safe, which surprisingly caused Toady to intervene.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2017, 11:59:01 am »

it is terrifying

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2017, 11:59:25 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34