Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with bones?  (Read 2278 times)

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with bones?
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:18:39 am »

Me again!

So this newbie seems to be going v well in his first ever proper attempt at the game, even if i say so myself! :)

I just got lucky with my first Forbidden Beast, a feathered spider that terrified me when he first appeared in the massive cavern complex that i broke into recently.  Fortunately i sealed it back up and left him down there killing all the other inhabitants! (i hope that was a good idea)

Long story short, i re-opened the cavern thinking i was prepared and after thinking he wasnt still around, probably dead.  He reappeared and chased me back into my fortress complex, breaking down 3 doors he cornered 3 worker dwarves, a miner, a cheesemaker and a craftsdwarf.  The beast was HEAVILY wounded with all his legs and body showing as red, checking his details showed a full page of injuries!!!

During the very quick skirmish my miner was rinsed, his head being thrown across the room but then the fighting stopped... the beast was dead!!!

Reading the logs showed that he was killed by a single punch to the abdomen which somehow bruised his brain... by the cheesemaker LOL

Anyway my question is... whats the best/coolest thing to do with his bones?

ANy way of mounting this awesome (lucky) kill?

Merlota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with bones?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:40:30 am »

You could dump the carcass or chitin in the tomb at the foot of the miner's coffin and leave it forbidden as a trophy.
You could butcher it and decorate all the items in the miner's tomb with bone.  Bonus for making the decorative images depict the battle.
You could make roasts out of it and seal the barrel off in the tomb  Egyptian style.
You could make bone toy hammers for your children and decorate them with images of the battle.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:14:58 am »

Mostly I use bones for decoration, occasionally choosing details manually.

Had too much dralthas, now everything has images of them.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:55:43 am »

I make helms from them and give them to the citizenry. Some protection without too much encumbrance.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Godar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 10:37:40 am »

I make helms from them and give them to the citizenry.

"The Skull-Heads Fortress"
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:06:27 pm »

You could dump the carcass or chitin in the tomb at the foot of the miner's coffin and leave it forbidden as a trophy.
You could butcher it and decorate all the items in the miner's tomb with bone.  Bonus for making the decorative images depict the battle.
You could make roasts out of it and seal the barrel off in the tomb  Egyptian style.
You could make bone toy hammers for your children and decorate them with images of the battle.

Thanks, some good ideas here :)

Is there any way to make a specific Totem or Sceptre with the beasts skull?

I think i shall also build a statue of the HERO Cheesemaker who one-punched the beast to death :D

I just realised.... "Blessed are the Cheesemakers!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLUEMj6cwA

LOLS

Merlota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:00:03 pm »

Hitting 'd'etails on the workshop job should let you select the bone type and image.  It's likely just forgotten beast bone, not named.  Personally I make totems from every skull so would just have to find it in the pile.

I like the statue.   The cheesemaker is punching the forgotten beast.  The beast is cowering in terror, the cheesemaker is laughing.    Stories need a little embellishment.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 09:32:54 am »

Something else to note, totems don't retain the name of the forgotten beast when made. That is, when you make a totem out of the skull of Ufsmat the Moist Secretions or whatever, you just get a Forgotten Beast Skull Totem. I personally prefer to keep the actual skulls, suitably installed in a display case (simple minor mod, you can check the wiki for details) somewhere.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:31:36 am »

Decorating furniture, instruments (only some), wearable bone crafts (now that dwarves actually equip bling and enjoy getting some nice items, that's semi-important), training bolts, crossbows, etc...

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 04:54:23 pm »

If your fortress has a designated leader or high ranking noblemen, that dwarf will demand a throne.  I recommend you sync up a craftdwarfs workshop to a stockpile with just the bones of the forgotten beast in it, then use them to decorate the throne.  Then put the throne in some kind of nice audience chamber to look all suitably menacing and impress visiting dignitaries (as well as boosting the room's value considerably.) 

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 11:20:23 pm »

I like using them in bolts, then hunting relatively harmless stuff like crundles with them, then turning the crundle bones into more bolts, ad infinitum.  Decent training for both the archer and the craftsdwarf.

Minus:  you will sometimes find yourself with relatively weak bolts facing relatively strong enemies.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 05:07:45 am »

I use them for bolts before I've got the forges running.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 02:21:46 pm »

I just realised.... "Blessed are the Cheesemakers!"

Well, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 07:18:10 pm »

Thanks for all your replies guys... some good ideas here :)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 08:11:14 am »

Bone armor sets are still around, right?

If so, you can make them in the craftsdwarf's workshop under "bones", use details to specify which bones you want to use. Equip a squadron to your liking with it, have them fight epic battles whilst wearing it.
Pages: [1] 2