Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Outside/aboveground  (Read 998 times)

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Question about Outside/aboveground
« on: May 20, 2017, 01:56:23 pm »

I'm thinking about a aboveground frotress, but i don't know all the mechanics of Outside and aboveground tiles, the wiki don't have all the information in the Tile Atributtes.

Cave adaptation: Outside reduce cave adaptation, Inside/Light don't change cave adaptation, Inside/Dark increase cave adaptation
Farming: XXXX/Light for outdoors crops, XXXX/Dark cave crops
Tree farming: Same as farming crops. But... Can aboveground tree grows in muddied rock? or only natural soil layers?
Vermin: Cave vermin in XXXX/Dark, and biome vermin in .... Outside or only Light tiles?
Miasma: Only in XXXX/Dark

Anymore changes i missed?
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Outside/aboveground
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:58:52 pm »

The only one I am not certain about is trees.  You should clear-cut the entire forest and build segmented tree farms, for !SCIENCE!.  The rest is accurate.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:12:43 pm »

I'm thinking about a aboveground frotress, but i don't know all the mechanics of Outside and aboveground tiles, the wiki don't have all the information in the Tile Atributtes.

Cave adaptation: Outside reduce cave adaptation, Inside/Light don't change cave adaptation, Inside/Dark increase cave adaptation
Farming: XXXX/Light for outdoors crops, XXXX/Dark cave crops
Tree farming: Same as farming crops. But... Can aboveground tree grows in muddied rock? or only natural soil layers?
Vermin: Cave vermin in XXXX/Dark, and biome vermin in .... Outside or only Light tiles?
Miasma: Only in XXXX/Dark

Anymore changes i missed?
Mud! Muddied rock will not grow surface trees, only subterranean and only if never exposed to the light. If you do not have much soil above your rock or aquifer layer, you'll need to build the tower (for your tree farm) upwards.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 04:06:18 pm »

As mentioned, surface trees require a layer of soil beneath to allow for their roots. Saplings will not appear if you've dug out the layer beneath, but existing saplings can mature (resulting in unexpected holes in your roof when they are cut). Saplings that have stuff on them (such as logs) do not mature until the things on top of them have been removed, but do so virtually immediately (probably within 10 ticks), and the logs on top hides the presence of saplings beneath.
I believe surface saplings->trees can appear on muddied rock if there is soil beneath (there are frequently patches of rock on the surface, but with soil below), but I haven't tested that out, so it's a quess about an unusual case.

Another difference is that dorfs will not clean where the stains can be seen...

Given that you can't plant saplings, you're probably better off selectively sparing surface trees of desirable species in as desirable location as possible (I've got a script that orders cutting of all surface trees except one for each species that produces brewable fruit [and threshable fruit as well, but there are none of those]. The spared tree is the one closest to the center of the embark).

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 09:02:43 pm »

Thanks for the answers.

I am thinking about dig a big hole except a magma.pump stack/mini fortress, make all tiles aboveground, and obsidianizing all levels, making a pure obsidian fortress, but tiles with light dont grow tres. A problem in my no miasma/cave adaptation and efficient aboveground fortress.

I think about a cave-in before obsidian, making a floor of the lowest soil layer, make obsidian, and remove 2 obsidian layers for tree farm.
Or i can make roads above muddied cavern, and remove the construction, generating the lowest soil layer in the biome (even in mountains without soil, they have soil in the data).
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 12:34:30 am »

In my current fort, I've noticed that digging out rooms in an aboveground cast obsidian block produced soil floors, rather than obsidian ones. Said floors then proceed to grow grass, though not saplings. Kind of messed with the aesthetic I was going for, though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 03:09:33 am »

Floor transmutation into soil does not allow surface tree growth, because the rock beneath remains rock, so there's still no room for roots.

Caving in soil might works, although transmutation may cause it to fail. Trying to cave-in soil down into the aquifer caused the soil to transmute into the type of soil of the aquifer layer, but it did not take up the aquifer property.
Caving in a piece of aquifer soil down to the circus failed to retain the aquifer property, and I believe (hazy memory) it transmuted into rock as well.
I don't know if caving in several Z levels of soil has been tested to see if only some of them are transmuted.

I believe there is a DFHack tools that allows you to transmute tiles. If so, you could cave-in soil and then correct any transmutation by reverting the soil back.

Rather than casting obsidian on top of the caved-in soil, only to shave it away, I'd rather build a floor at a suitable level above the soil and cast obsidian on top of that.

Yes, digging out cast obsidian above ground leaves soil floors. If you do that on the surface level (I've done it on top of my surface level courtyard roof), sparse shrubs can grow on it, but not saplings. Tiles in the air have a no-growth flag set, I believe which disallows the natural growth of anything but grass (farm plots can still support crops, provided the air biome [= biome of the world tile to the NW, unless the particular air block has a biome shear in it {which is a bug}] allows it). You can recover some of the aesthetics by making a floor of obsidian blocks (but those can't be engraved).

Edit: I tried caving in a soil plug one step down into rock. This retained the lowest soil (fire clay) as it landed onto rock, while the soil layers above transmuted to match the soil layer present on that level. Caving it in one level further (5 levels further down), caused two levels of fire clay to protrude into rock, again with the soil layers further up transmuting to match the soil type of their respective levels.

Edit 2: I removed another layer at the bottom and replace the layer above that with built walls. As expected, the built walls were completely smashed away when dropped, and I now have 4 layers of fire clay down in the rock. I'm not completely sure, but the top of those ought to have been ordinary clay, as I dropped everything two levels, so the top levels of the dropped stack should have been clay with fire clay underneath, so it's possible just the act of passing the last soil level transmuted the soil to the last type.

Edit 3: Yes, I caved in all 4 soil levels a bit down into the rock in one go, and all 4 of them ended up as fire clay, so I assume they transmute to the last soil type reached on the way downwards.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:12:07 am by PatrikLundell »

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 10:57:54 am »

Great Science.

Cave-in after the Dig increase Cave adaptation in the miner squad.
If i use the last cavern for a nethercap farm, the "Light" fortress have a lower limit.

I think its better to build a ceiling above the map to prevent cave adaptation, using migrants without nauseas.
I will search in the Dwarven Academy of Science, the Dwarven Power Mining is a great guide about dig great holes in the map.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝