Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which part of the faction did you join?

Generals.
- 7 (36.8%)
Engineers.
- 7 (36.8%)
Nobility. (ie. Neither, just observing.)
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Engineers and Generals (The Georgian Empire)(Turn 1: 1860)  (Read 7741 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Generals Thread

Design Corps Thread

The Georgian Empire

The Georgian Empire is the final remnant of the ancient Roman Empire to survive into the modern world.  While not an immediate descendant of the Empire, it is a descendant of the Trebizond-Georgian Commonwealth established between the Byzantine successor state of the Empire of Trebizond, created as a result of the Fourth Crusade, and the Kingdom of Georgia.  The slow loss of much of the de jure land of Trebizond to the Ottomans eventually reduced the power and importance of the former aspect of the Commonwealth that the nation slowly began to be referred to as the Georgian-Trebizond Commonwealth.  As further time passed and Georgia grew in strength, the Commonwealth was officially reorganized into the Georgian Empire in the late fifteenth century.  To secure its borders against the Ottomans, many alliances were sought out and established over the years, the most important of which by the nineteenth century being with the Russian Empire.  It is noted that relations were recently damaged through the Georgian Empire remaining neutral in a few of their recent wars out of fear of the Ottomans.

Noting the effectiveness of the militaries during the war and the damages caused to their relations with Russia by sitting out multiple wars, the Empire recognized that they would need to advance their military technology in order to maintain their sovereignty.  To this end, they began laying the groundwork for the Weapons Design Corps within their military under the direct command of the military's commanding generals.  In 1860, the establishment of the Corps was completed and the first weapons were to be designed.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:47:31 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Engineers and Generals (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:13:11 pm »

Sounds interesting, though engineers sound more interesting to play than generals.

I vote we start in 1860.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:05:29 pm »

The generals sound as though they have no authority. I think that they should be able to choose designs. Like, maybe the engineers have to submit at least three designs, and the generals can punish them in some way, like just not using any of the designs and they get a bonus to production of an existing design instead?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:39:18 pm »

Sounds interesting, though engineers sound more interesting to play than generals.

I vote we start in 1860.

Well, the generals do decide which route is being taken to equip the military and get to mess with how the military applies equipment in battles.

The generals sound as though they have no authority. I think that they should be able to choose designs. Like, maybe the engineers have to submit at least three designs, and the generals can punish them in some way, like just not using any of the designs and they get a bonus to production of an existing design instead?

During the composition phase, the Generals are setting up all the conditions that the engineers need to fulfill with a design.  The engineers have to satisfy all of the criteria listed (unless they literally cannot find a way to put something on it), or it won't be rolled for at all (Hey, the in-universe engineers don't want to get shot for disobeying orders).  Then in the meeting, both sides are arguing whether it fulfilled the criteria/why certain parts could not be included.  While the engineers can argue against the additional and for removing criteria, the final say on whether or not to add/remove them is in the hands of the generals.

As such, while the lists do need to leave a bit of wiggle room for the engineers to work upon, the generals are able to have a very high level of authority if they include a large amount of criteria (ex. We need a river going boat for troop and supply transport that may defend itself if necessary).  Conversely, they can also have a low level of authority if only a few criteria are specified (ex. We need a better gun).
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »

How about having 2 different engineer teams? They can be two seperate arms company competing with each other for military contracts this way we still have some of the competitive aspect common with arms races.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 05:24:32 pm »

How about having 2 different engineer teams? They can be two seperate arms company competing with each other for military contracts this way we still have some of the competitive aspect common with arms races.
The problem with that is that it would be a different idea, one which I believe has already been done around here somewhere. The point of this thread is the generals and engineers idea.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:57 pm »

I'm quite interested, and believe that 1790 would be a bit of a slog, and that 1910 would be too similar to the original arms race. Therefore, I vote 1860

Avanti!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 06:31:01 pm »

Because I am aiming to model the internal struggles of a single faction rather than working with two competing factions.  I may switch over to the traditional Arms Race style in civil wars from time to time, but keep it focused around doctrine in those times with new tech only brought out through the rare design credits.  Wars against NPC nations would keep the style of using engineers and generals as two factions, I should note.

The actual goal for this game would be simply keeping the nation sovereign until a certain future date (exact year depends on starting year).

Oh, should mention the setting.  I'm thinking of making it a small nation in the Baltic or Black Sea/Caspian Sea area.  Maybe have it descended from exiles and refugees of the Byzantine Empire, making it the final remnant of Rome.  Most wars would probably be against Antegria (if I don't just make that nation be who you are), and I could make a couple 'oh shit' moments if the Ottomans, Russians, or (if on the Baltic side) the Austro-Hungarians invade.

I'm quite interested, and believe that 1790 would be a bit of a slog, and that 1910 would be too similar to the original arms race. Therefore, I vote 1860

Well, not too much, actually.  While wars will reduce the years per turn speed, here's the amount of turns between each date:

1790-1860: 14 Turns
1860-1909: 16 Turns

Might actually speed up the 1910 date to be 2 years at a time when at peace until 1940 (where things ratchet down to 1), to make 15 turns, keeping pace with the prior brackets.

Anyway, this means that the 1790 start wouldn't be too much of a slog.  As a side note, in that start date, the Napoleanic Wars are a mere 3 turns off.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »

I like plan of 1860 start and, well, this in general.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 01:58:33 pm »

I just keep getting in these things...Ah well. PTW for now. I'll grab a spot when/if this gets going, after I see how many people join each side.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 02:37:09 pm »

I'd like to be a general so I can send completely unreasonable/impossible demands to the engineers.

1860 sounds good, too.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 03:35:24 pm »

I'd like to be a general so I can send completely unreasonable/impossible demands to the engineers.

1860 sounds good, too.

"This is what we're building?"
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »

That about sums up arms race games anyways.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 07:30:00 am »

1860s sound nice; getting away from the standard "let's design a tank" part.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 07:32:01 am »

Players will always find a way to make a tank.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7