Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34728 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Design Phase 2209
« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2017, 04:57:31 am »

Armour will soon useless without redundancy as weaponry becomes overpowered. Unless we do energy shields... But the mechanical master-race is the only option!

we only have one ITC.
I only saw one get blowed up, did we lose another somewhere?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 20, 2017, 05:02:46 am »

We only lost the one transport. Though how the shit do they have bolters? We got a bloody six on the effectiveness of our rifle and I'm pretty sure that had a -1 to the roll.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2017, 05:25:31 am »

"Bolters" are micro missile launchers. I am sort of amazed that they can shrink them so much, and stupefied that they have practical levels of ammunition, and sort of shocked that they fly straight and attain respectible velocities inside of an atmosphere, given how much that would mess with their trajectory and how low their empty mass would be, but the technology is very simple given that one of the two fields in which our technology is superior to Earth is in our rockets. Also there is sci-fi physics which helps. But don't think that these are remotely equal to what one would expect from popular fictions that feature noteably explosive bullets.

Do not that the rifles are more accurate, even though rifling ought not to matter without an atmosphere. We also ought to have much more ammunition and rate of fire. We do beat them at long range.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2017, 05:31:03 am »

A simple heavy machine gun would work against them.

The bigger problem is that they can just add these bullets to anything they make.

What if we made a shuttle that has an automatic weapon of some sort to just shoot their damn missiles before they hit?

2 points of transport could be "used up" on the big gun and a tracking/sensor suite.  We are defend against missiles and have 2 transport capacity left.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2017, 05:34:52 am »

Right, well first off we do need more efficient carriers and we do need better fighters, or better missiles, to go with them. On the flip side we can make the carrier also have it's own missile launchers as well.

Venture-Class Combat Transport
An up-sized and optimised transport, the Venture-Class is designed from the ground up to be capable of launching fighters quickly. With a larger cargo hold and dedicated small craft launch bays (Fighters and shuttles), the Venture is designed to be a tough, hardy ship. Structurally strengthened, the Venture has approximately 30 missile tubes derived from the ASF-8's launchers, while boasting a large cargo hold and dedicated hangars for two flights worth of fighters. an integrated comm suite means the vessel can potentially pick up the radio transmissions from enemy spacecraft and use those to find the enemy.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2017, 05:38:17 am »

"Storm Warden" Defence Turret
An automated turret that automatically targets and shoots enemy missles in space, using RaaaayDaaaar... Works good in space because there is very little gravity or friction to mess with your aiming calculations. It is pretty much just a stupid CronyLimb dumb missile that goes in one direction and a bullet that moves in a straight line at an almost fixed velocity. For bonus points, put the turret right next to its radar system to draw the missiles right into it. make these magnetic so they can be stuck onto any surface of any ship you care to, so long as someone can walk out there and replace the batteries and refil the ammunition...

Ehh, imma vote for the metallic hydrogen so we can get a payday out of our first design.
Read the First Post!

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2017, 06:40:37 am »

We should probably develop lasers using plasma containment used in our fusion plant. But yeah, kinda surprising that mini rockets just developed can apparently match bullets without apparently suffering from accuracy issues.

I would vote for the venture, just concerned about its offensive capability
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2017, 07:17:07 am »

Well, we fix our radar guided missiles we'll have more luck in destroying their ships.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2017, 09:10:27 am »

Okay I'll vote for the Venture. We should add an active sensor system that can spot enemy ships and hopefully direct missiles to it, and then I'll be happy with it.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2017, 03:08:55 pm »

The more I think of it, the more I think we could do superconductors as a revision. We already know how to make the stuff, it's just a matter of scaling production to useable amounts.
I'll make you an offer RAM. I'll vote for your turrets here, if you vote for my superconductors in revision.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:45:52 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2017, 04:25:05 pm »

Just FYI:
Their bolters are still pretty comparable to the ABR-1. Most of your losses this turn was because your fighting Units didn't have ABR-1s.

Moerh attacked B2, C2, and A2. B2 was the only place where you had ABR-1s, and you were outnumbered in B2.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2017, 04:35:01 pm »

Venture-Class Combat Transport
An up-sized and optimised transport, the Venture-Class is designed from the ground up to be capable of launching fighters quickly. With a larger cargo hold and dedicated small craft launch bays (Fighters and shuttles), the Venture is designed to be a tough, hardy ship. Structurally strengthened, the Venture has approximately 30 missile tubes derived from the ASF-8's launchers, while boasting a large cargo hold and dedicated hangars for two flights worth of fighters. an integrated comm suite means the vessel can potentially pick up the radio transmissions from enemy spacecraft and use those to find the enemy.
+1 to the Venture. It seems like it would be useful for intercepting cargo transports, and for being able to deploy more of our fighters.

Avanti!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2017, 07:36:14 pm »

Please keep track of your votes; it makes my life a bit easier.
Design: Venture-Class Combat Transport
3, 4-2, 6-1

The Venture-Class Combat Transport is a... different ship than what we first intended.
We've never designed something this large before. The A-ASF-8 may have been a spacecraft, but it was tiny and designed solely for combat. The Venture is an entirely different beast.

The Venture-Class Combat Transport had to sacrifice the intended missiles and larger cargo hold. At first, the design was planned to be larger than the ITC to fit an improved cargo hold and small craft launch bays, but we couldn't seem to build something that big. In simulations, the ship would collapse under the load of its thrust, be generally unstable, or we couldn't construct such a project. So ultimately, we made something smaller than the ITC. But this isn't doom for the project, it just means we can't fulfill every design specification.

Two launch bays are placed on both starboard and port sides of the ship. These aren't hangars, but rather, a launch bay is a relatively small "tube" extending from a portion of the cargo bay to the outside of the ship. Compatible small craft are attached to rails and rapidly accelerated through the launch bay and emerge out of the ship quickly and with speed. The interior ends of the launch bays are connected to the cargo bay and automated railing can quickly "load" the launch bay.
However, this as well as the smaller hull means that the Venture can only hold 2 CU.

The Venture-class uses a single large chemical thruster on the back of its hull, along with the obligatory reaction thrusters. A small chemical reactor is fit in the rear of the ship (we would use the center, but that's the location of the cargo bay) and provides power to the rest of the ship. The ship has a notably poor speed roughly matching an ITC.

Armor-wise, the Venture-class is still quite lacking. A reinforced skeleton means the ship may not blow up due to one missile hit, but even small-arms fire can still pierce the armor.

An integrated radio provides contact with planetary forces, but isn't anywhere near enough to reach planets other than the one the Venture-class is orbiting. Unfortunately, it can't locate enemies based on radio transmissions. Problems with the complexity and weight of such a radio suite required us to strip that feature in order to get the radio in at all.

The ship is currently built in orbit by hand, which really limits our construction capabilities. As such, we can only field 1x Venture-class Combat Transport at a time. Each part has to be built, shipped to Amaok's orbit, then be put into place by workers in X112 suits.

Venture-Class Combat Transport: A somewhat small vessel fitted with two launch bays capable of quickly launching stored small craft. Has a basic radio suite allowing for communication with local radio-equipped ships or planetary ground forces, but not interplanetary communication. The Venture-class uses one large chemical thruster to obtain relatively poor speeds, and a reinforced skeleton can possibly keep the ship intact with some damage.
Cargo: 2 CU
Expense: 1x
Resources: Metal, Exotics

It is now the Revision Phase of 2209.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Revision Phase 2209
« Reply #223 on: May 20, 2017, 07:50:02 pm »

Worse all around compared to even our normal shuttles.  Great.  Doesn't even have missile tubes.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Revision Phase 2209
« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2017, 07:55:18 pm »

Quote from:  revision vote
1- Metallic hydrogen Superconductors: helmacon

Useless at a 3. Damn. Imaging if we had rolled a 2 or 1. At least it gives us a radio.

We need superconductors. Without sone new groundwork we are stuck making useless variations of our basic space tech, crawling forward at a snail's pace as we only advance by the experience of failed designs.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31