Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 468995 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Mission 2: Economy Class
« Reply #510 on: July 08, 2017, 10:50:23 pm »

Smith [4][4] Pass Pass
Joan [4][4] Fail Fail

WTF?
Do recall Piecewise's way of counting things :3
There are modifiers to the DEGREE of judging the roll by one's STATS [not usually mentioned] and skills [moreso mentioned] and both are equally as important.

That said, 'pass' and 'fail' do not necessarily mean their literal counterparts, but moreso other things that can imply or imagine a situation better. You could...edit your surprise to ask a question than a reaction :P Questions are better to respond and answer than an emoticon or expression.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 08, 2017, 10:53:36 pm »

A simple +X by the rolled number would add a lot of clarity. And questions to the GM often go unanswered it seems.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 08, 2017, 11:01:28 pm »

((A +1 or +0 wouldn't really help, as people would get confused when PW says a 1+3 is still a critfail, or that a 4+0 is a normal fail.  Joan has +0 in all physical stats, so she fails on anything aside from a 5 or 6 Nope, I got that wrong, thanks Egan.  It's standard RTD, with skill just improving rolls of 2-4.  Also, don't get too annoyed with PW, he's running a bunch of very large games while attending college and taking care of family--sometimes you just need to ask a couple times, and that's quite reasonable.))

...Yeah, get out of the damn plane now.  Grab someone and either drag them out with me or throw them out if I can't make it in time.

Spoiler: Simon Smith, Sniper (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 08, 2017, 11:04:15 pm »

A simple +X by the rolled number would add a lot of clarity. And questions to the GM often go unanswered it seems.
Not when I did it :P
But seriously, EVEN IN SPITE of those impressions--do it. The GM is a person like us too, and busybusy with his life and many other factors in the way. And we're all here to have fun \o/ so...just ask him. He'll respond. :)

Or ask for a GM's note spoiler somewhere to better clarify what rolls and what had happened, if it helps. :O It goes in tandem with his 'once/twice per week posting'.

((A +1 or +0 wouldn't really help, as people would get confused when PW says a 1+3 is still a critfail, or that a 4+0 is a normal fail.  Joan has +0 in all physical stats, so she fails on anything aside from a 5 or 6.  Also, don't get too annoyed with PW, he's running a bunch of very large games while attending college and taking care of family--sometimes you just need to ask a couple times, and that's quite reasonable.))
Yep, as in, why I say the stats are important because I've been having a very consistent indicator with HOW things are written--like say, I'm a sniper, and my shots are pretty much in turn with someone with those levels of generalized numerical stats (back in the D-Day mission)
But I only perform ordinarily in comparison, when pertaining to anything physical. :O

And yeah, just ask :) COLLEGE IS A BIG THING [as I've graduated it and by bias of experience--it does take up your time even if you think you WILL have time due to freedom of picking your class schedules >_>]
Patience! \o/

P.S. Look at Smith (syvarris') character as a good stat example--it seems either strength or dexterity was used, so his 4 was passed and I...barely passed more, as we're still using the ol' 1d6 dice interpretation method, but a bit more modernized thanks to Piece's and other GM's modifications.

Meaning: Every +1 is relevant. :3
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:09:58 pm by Tiruin »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 08, 2017, 11:25:15 pm »

((Actually Tir, I screwed up and misremembered the rules.  Egan pointed out that the OP says we're doing standard RTD for everything except combat.  So a 4 really should be an average success.  Also, my char is called Simon, since Smith is just his last name and we have a "Smith" with no other name--Simon rolled a 2, and is still on the plane.  If it was indeed dex that was rolled, he should be in the same boat as Joan, since his 2 should count as a 4 if I understand the OP correctly.  Perhaps it was an unmodified fate roll.  Or perhaps the Piece screwed up. :P))

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 08, 2017, 11:28:04 pm »

((So skill indicators for rolls that used a skill would help catch errors. That alone would be reason enough.))
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 08, 2017, 11:43:06 pm »

If I'm not dead due to one bad roll dispite my good desterity get the hell out of the plane

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #517 on: July 09, 2017, 12:16:54 am »

Smith [4][4] Pass Pass
Joan [4][4] Fail Fail

WTF?

Edit:

((Guys, anyone know how my helmet applies to crashing through trees? Does that count as a life bonus for things that don't actually hit the helmet?))

((are our pistols M1911s or FN1910s? Because M1911 pistols make 100% more sense, but the inventory lists say 1910))

Can we get answers to our questions rather than comments on the map scale?

1. The pass and fail were just my way of denoting a 5 style success due to player level, or a lesser roll. Joan got out because she rolled alright despite not having the set skills to ensure a 4  was a total success.

2. IN this case it counts.

3. M1911, its a typo. Or rather, the book I got the info from seems to have a typo in it calling the gun a 1910.

Questions to me go unanswered sometimes because I run 4 games while taking care of my father who is dying of pancreatic cancer and working a medical internship at the same time. I'm a little busy and sometimes I miss people's posts. If you want something answered and you feel it is very important, PM me or bold it.

((Actually Tir, I screwed up and misremembered the rules.  Egan pointed out that the OP says we're doing standard RTD for everything except combat.  So a 4 really should be an average success.  Also, my char is called Simon, since Smith is just his last name and we have a "Smith" with no other name--Simon rolled a 2, and is still on the plane.  If it was indeed dex that was rolled, he should be in the same boat as Joan, since his 2 should count as a 4 if I understand the OP correctly.  Perhaps it was an unmodified fate roll.  Or perhaps the Piece screwed up. :P))
The roll to get out of the plane (the first one) was a speed roll. The roll to land right was a Dex roll.  You, if memory serves, have +2 dex but no bonus to speed.

I'll point out again, Sy, since you asked about this before: Dexterity is Not Speed. Speed is for doing things quickly. Dexterity is for doing things that require coordination, hand eye connection, etc.

Also, your understanding of the rules is flawed, though understandably.  Let me answer this with a quick graph.

The different levels of skill are on the left. At +0 you can see that 1-6 have unique outcomes and varying levels of effect. At +1, 4 and 5 begin to mean the same thing, while the other numbers continue to mean what they used to. This trend continues up to +3 where there are only 3 effective outcomes instead of 6.  You have +2, meaning that for you, your possible outcomes are 1, 2, 5 and 6 under standard RTD rules. Thus if you roll a 2, its still a 2.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:34:56 am by piecewise »

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 09, 2017, 06:27:56 am »

"Nice flying."

Find a tree to hide behind, and try to get a clear look at the target. Anyone firing towards the paratroopers, or just the planes? And is there anything else visible that would catch Bob's eye?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2017, 10:17:16 am »

((Are we waiting for players, or the GM?))

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2017, 10:32:02 am »

edited,sorry that it took so long
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #521 on: July 15, 2017, 02:47:54 pm »

Whoo! Down safe!
Run twords Ramses, try to get him out of the tree without further damage. I probably can't heal him until next turn, but do so if possible.

[Dex:2]
You get over to Ramses and try to climb the tree he's in so you can get to his cords. You fail that, so you just start jumping up and cutting the cords you can reach. You hack away a few of them and Ramses shifts a bit in his para-cord cocoon but you can't get him free.  You grimice and decide to try your best to provide medical aid while he's still tied up.
[Med:4]
You expend most of the contents of your medical bag patching him up, but mange to restore a full +3 to his Life.

+10 GLORY for the Healing (record it on your sheet)

Quick question, do we have the standered american parachutes?Which you need to either cut yourself out from or manage to unlatch. Or are we using the British versions? Which just have a chest release. I figure I might as well ask since the 888th is kinda an odd ball unit and thus might use the better British version.

If we are using the British version Gus will slap his chest and drop to the ground from the tree, if he is using the American version he will attempt to cut himself from the parachute and drop to the ground.

[Dex:6] You dig through your medical supplies and find a nice knife. Supposed to be for amputation, but it cuts cords just fine too. You cleave through the lines with such speed and ease that you end up suddenly freeing yourself and falling 10 feet down onto your face [Physical 2vs2]. You get up and blink a few times before brushing the leaves and dirt off your face and standing up. Good. No one seems to have seen you do that...

((How does the helmet apply in this situation? Once I get that figured out, I'll update character sheet and post an action.))
You got it right. It protected you from 1 of the life damage.

Untangle self from trees.

Spoiler: Joe Nix (click to show/hide)

[Dex:3]
You twist and yank and generally struggle against your bonds. You manage to get yourself mostly free, but you're still at least partially caught, hanging in the tree by one arm and one leg.

((A classic PW mission insertion.))

"Right.  Let's give the others a minute before we head out."

Get loose of chute, check and secure gear.  Stay in cover.

Spoiler: Jack Worter (click to show/hide)

You take off your chute and wad it up as best you can, stuffing it under the tangled roots of a nearby tree to hide it. That done, you double check your gear, carefully pawing through your bag and making sure none of the explosives have been damaged, none of the timed fuses have started ticking down, and none of the mines are armed. Everything seems in good order though, so you just sit behind a tree and wait.

"Ugh, what a daft plan."

Go help Joan down from that tree.

[Dex:4]
You run through the dark forest until you find Joan, still tangled up in a tree. You climb up and, carefully, untangle the lines and lower her to the ground before cutting the Chute's cords and freeing her from its insidious entangling apendages.

+5 GLORY for the Aid

Alright, managed to get down safe, nice. Got down too close and I don't have a machine gun or something, not nice.

Try to get in cover, don't want to get sniped.

Spoiler: Winston Atzili (click to show/hide)
You half crawl, half scramble to the nearest tree and sit down behind it. You wait a minute and then look back at the base. The base's contents are impossible to see; between the massive search lights and the fire engulfing the far hill, the base is nothing but a black silouette against the yellow orange haze of the fire.  But none of those search lights are looking this way and you can't see any men coming out of the base and up the hill. The only men you see, distant shadows occasionally caught in the light of a searchlight, are on the west edge of the base.

Phew.

Of course a 2 was rolled ._.

After checking she was okay, quick flashbacks of being one of the last to jump came to her--she was sure Zack grabbed her for the jump, but there were...others left behind.

Safely work to free self from trees; try to adjust my radio to contact the others. Can I get a quicknote if I can contact the rest safely?
If this is unneeded or I can contact my team safely:

"Get to cover, everyone; take notes of your surroundings and observe the base for reaction. I'm on the ground--some others didn't make it out yet; assume they are alive until this mission is over."

((I recall people aren't...issued a radio, but just wondering to make sure. Glad NOBODY died!))

Spoiler: Joan Macaraeg//Tiruin (click to show/hide)
You are freed by Alice and immediately get on your radio. Now, something I don't think people have understood is that literally no one except you has a radio. You can't contact them because they don't have a radio. You can contact the planes, or command, but no other individual has a radio. Hell, I probably shouldn't even have let Alice find you without rolling because she's searching a forest at night for one person stuck in a tree.  In WWII you usually had one person with a radio per group who would act as the coms for the whole group. So.

You can't contact anyone on your team but you do call to the Bombers who are making a second pass. They confirm that the plane you were on is going down. They don't know where all your teammates are, but they didn't see anyone parachuting, so they figure your cover is probably still good.

"Nice flying."

Find a tree to hide behind, and try to get a clear look at the target. Anyone firing towards the paratroopers, or just the planes? And is there anything else visible that would catch Bob's eye?

You climb up to the crest of the hill and hide behind a tree to take a look out at the base. Its hard, almost impossible, to see any details down there with it backlit by the fire. Its just a hard edged black outline with the sharp white points of the spotlights shining out from it. The AA guns and Flak guns are still firing, their metallic thumps and Clangs echoing against the walls of the valley. But none of the lights, and none of the fire, and none of the blurry figures now moving west out of the base, are headed in this direction. Above and to the South West you see the troop plane, going down in a slow, burning spiral.

Meanwhile, On that plane...

Joe jumps the fuck out before the plane crashes,and open his parachute trying to miss the base,if he hits it well then...things might get a bit bloody

Spoiler: Joe Polnik (click to show/hide)
[Speed:6]

((Papaj, your Joe is still in the plane.
NRDL, your Joe is tangled in some trees.))

If there are any suitable holes within reach, assist my fellow Fiery Riders In The Sky through said opening. Be the last to exit the plane.
IF there are no suitable holes within reach, attempt to get to the pilot seat and point the plane such that the others can jump. Once they are all clear, attempt to point the plane back groundward.

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)
[Speed:2]

"It was nice knowing you boys"

Try to help the people who are still inside of the plane parachute out of it by any means necessary, then jump out of the flying deathtrap and try to parachute down somewhere safe

[speed:2]

((A +1 or +0 wouldn't really help, as people would get confused when PW says a 1+3 is still a critfail, or that a 4+0 is a normal fail.  Joan has +0 in all physical stats, so she fails on anything aside from a 5 or 6 Nope, I got that wrong, thanks Egan.  It's standard RTD, with skill just improving rolls of 2-4.  Also, don't get too annoyed with PW, he's running a bunch of very large games while attending college and taking care of family--sometimes you just need to ask a couple times, and that's quite reasonable.))

...Yeah, get out of the damn plane now.  Grab someone and either drag them out with me or throw them out if I can't make it in time.

Spoiler: Simon Smith, Sniper (click to show/hide)
[Speed:5]

If I'm not dead due to one bad roll dispite my good desterity get the hell out of the plane

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
[Speed:3]

Charlie is a no show (or I missed him) so rolling automatically. [Speed:6]

Joe scrambles to the hole in the side of the plane, crawling through fire and clinging on to whatever he could as the plane rolled. When he reached the opening he half yanked himself through, half fell or was thrown out. He tumbled through smokey nothing for several seconds before getting ahold of his parachute cord and pulling it. The parachute was black, just like all the others, but in the light of the fires the chute looked like a dull orange cloud drifting quickly across the sky.  Joe finds himself drifting down just above the base. [Camo:4] He manages, via careful and slow movements, not to draw attention to himself. As the gunners below are busy with the returning bombers, he drifts down and lands very near the base. He hasn't been caught yet, but he is quite exposed.

Simon, rather smartly, times the roll of the plane and simply runs along the moving walls and floor to the hole in the plane's side. As he goes, he snatches (Random choice....Oz) Edward off the ground and together they both go sailing out into the sky. [Camo 5 and 2] Simon lands to the south of the base, right on the river bed. He immediately rolls himself in the mud and bundles his parachute up. He throws the chute in the river, which is flowing southward, away from the base, and settles down, prone, into the mud. A man with a flashlight standing 10 feet away would have a problem finding Simon.  Edward, on the other hand, lands flat on one of the buildings of the base with his chute flapping free and obvious in the air.

Yarrick manages to throw himself from the plane at the last moment [Camo:5] and drifts down almost directly next to Simon.  He crumples his parachute and stuffs it into the river mud before joining Simon. Charlie, barely concious, makes it out of the plane and, because blowing the mission due to a no show would be bad, we'll say he lands safely in the trees a bit to the south of simon and yarrick.

The only one who doesn't make it out is Jonathan, who goes down with the plane as it spirals into the opposite hill and detonates in a ball of flame. [Risk 11vs Life 3] Jon is no more.

The plane spirals down and hits the far hill like a moltov cocktail, erupting into a ball of flame that smears itself across the face of the hill and up into the sky. At almost the same time the bombers pass back over on their final run, and drop another line of incindiary bombs near the base, lighting the forest to the north. The smoke from the fire is rolling over the base now, blanketing the sky and reducing the searchlights to hazy cones of dim light swinging erratically back and forth. Its hard to say if the cover is blown; Joe landed near the base and Ed landed straight in it.  Specifically he landed on what he's almost certain is an airplane hanger. Its a huge building, very long and wide with a curved roof, the sort of design almost universal to aircraft hangers. He landed near the top of the curve at least, in a stable position, rather than one where he could slide off at any moment. Below him, he can see men- a lot of men- charging out of buildings to the north east.  There are two AA guns right in front of those buildings and through the smoke he can see them turning, searching for more targets.  Everywhere else around him is dark, filled with smoke and not easily seen.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Mission 1 complete: Recruiting for mission 2.
« Reply #522 on: July 15, 2017, 02:54:41 pm »

Ever the practical man, Bob chokes down his rations, quick like, to prepare for the coming battle. He then proceeds to the nearest elevated position from which he can shoot down at the base, should that become a necessity.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Mission 1 complete: Recruiting for mission 2.
« Reply #523 on: July 15, 2017, 03:02:56 pm »

Continue trying to get Ramses out of the tree, then head twords the drop zone looking for other wounded.

Actually, on second thought Ramses' controller hasn't posted since before mission start. Head twords Joe Nix.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:10:03 pm by milo christiansen »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 15, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »

Stay with Joan, hopefully up to the crest of the hill.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 228