Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any way to Butcher an enemies mount?  (Read 2073 times)

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
Any way to Butcher an enemies mount?
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:48:06 pm »

A 100+ Goblin siege just blew past and now I have more Beak Dogs in my cages than I could want. Is there any way I can designate them to be butchered?

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to Butcher an enemies mount?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:37:10 am »

as far as I know you can't butcher them because you must first tame a wild creature to be at least semi-wild and then can be designated for butchering. You also can't tame them I think because enemy race units always stay hostile. I think the only option is to kill them by pitting.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:09:52 am »

As knedl said, you can't butcher any live animal that isn't tame. However, you can't butcher any dead animal that was tame, but you can butcher dead animals that weren't, so you kill the beak dogs using your method of choice (reduced by the need to actually leave a body afterwards, so atom smashing and magma should be excluded), make sure either to have a refuse stockpile that takes the corpses, or kill them close to the butcher shop. I've killed beak dogs by using them as target practice for xbow dwarves (confined in a small room with fortifications [the beak dog is confined, not the dwarves...]). Splattering (pitting them onto a hard surface for at least 20 Z levels, and preferably 50) allows you to get one piece of leather from each detached body part, but requires separate hauling and butchering of each body part as well. Weapon traps can also result in multiple pieces, but then you have to be aware of the fatal trap breakage bug.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:14:31 am »

How do you get dwarves to butcher dead wild animals?

Mine just toss them in the refuse pile to rot.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 07:25:15 am »

Dwarves haul corpses to the refuse pile (but you need to enable outdoor refuse to collect surface wildlife killed by others than hunters). From there the butcher shop automatically generates a butcher order. For that you work you need both a butcher shop and a dorf with the butcher job enabled who's prepared to perform the butchering (rather than e.g. haul old bones to the refuse stockpile). When the dorf takes too long to perform the butchering the corpse will rot, and I think it can't be butchered in that state, but will be butchered again when the meat is gone to get bones and the skull. Also, there are some creatures that can't be butchered.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 07:43:03 am »

I think my dwarves are just lazy then, or cause I have several of them set to butcher and they'll zealously cull puppies but I never see them butcher a wild animal they scraped out of the weapon traps.

Someone left a damn yak skeleton in the barracks, idk if it decomposed and someone meant to butcher it? But decided to train in the barracks instead and just left it there?

Not real sure.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:51:37 am »

If it died from natural causes, it won't be butchered. If it died in combat, it will be. Just set up some weapon traps for the beak dogs and release them among the traps. Spinning discs preferable, because more limbs = more meat.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:40 am »

If the yak was wild it ought to have been butchered, but if it was yours and killed through any means but butchering (which would be the case as there's a skeleton there) it will never be butchered. However, tame animal corpses are still hauled to the refuse stockpile, unless they were pets, in which case they're hauled to the corpse stockpile instead, together with sapients. Thus, you may lack a corpse stockpile ('y' /= refuse/corpse sub stockpile).

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 12:47:44 pm »

If the yak was wild it ought to have been butchered, but if it was yours and killed through any means but butchering (which would be the case as there's a skeleton there) it will never be butchered. However, tame animal corpses are still hauled to the refuse stockpile, unless they were pets, in which case they're hauled to the corpse stockpile instead, together with sapients. Thus, you may lack a corpse stockpile ('y' /= refuse/corpse sub stockpile).

It was a wild yak, I butchered all mine already they're always trying to get into the fort and get killed or maimed on the weapon traps. I don't think a trader brought it. I honestly don't know how it got in the barracks.

I think my problem may have been that my refuse stockpile was packed full with (48) lizard vermin carcasses so the animals that wandered into the traps never made it to the refuse/corpse pile until it was too late.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 01:43:40 pm »

Yes, vermin in the refuse stockpile is an issue. I always make mine cart quantum stockpiles for refuse (which doesn't stop refuse hauling from stalling because the feeder stockpile gets full and mine cart loading has lower priority than other hauling).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 05:30:01 pm »

@Rusty Sounds like your dwarves are too busy with the puppies.

@OP Clear standing butchering orders before you start on those beak dogs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 05:34:23 pm »

If it died from natural causes, it won't be butchered. If it died in combat, it will be. Just set up some weapon traps for the beak dogs and release them among the traps. Spinning discs preferable, because more limbs = more meat.
Not spinning discs! Use steel short swords/battle axes, since they won't break as much, so they won't cause the crashing broken trap thing.
Also, it gives the same amount of meat in whole, as far as I know.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 07:05:44 pm »

An adventure mode game of mine crashed when I chopped a goblin fishcleaner in the face with a dolomite axe I fabricated on a whim...m It went to XX durability after the first hitvand when I threw it at him the game crashed.

Anyone use crossbows for weapon traps? I run a lot of metal-less forts and always relied on wood trap components. I've never used them since reloading them with bolts sounds like a pita.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 08:31:38 pm »

An adventure mode game of mine crashed when I chopped a goblin fishcleaner in the face with a dolomite axe I fabricated on a whim...m It went to XX durability after the first hitvand when I threw it at him the game crashed.

Anyone use crossbows for weapon traps? I run a lot of metal-less forts and always relied on wood trap components. I've never used them since reloading them with bolts sounds like a pita.
Sorry, it'll just whack 'em with the xbow, not shoot them.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:50 pm »

You're saying if I have weapon traps like 10 each full of empty wooden crossbows those shitty wild yaks and keas will get hit with wooden crossbows???
Pages: [1] 2