Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 87631 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #315 on: December 09, 2018, 06:19:27 am »

*colonists* "we're penetrating her outer layers now, prepare to eject from the spacecraft!"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 09, 2018, 07:27:57 am »

*colonists* "we're penetrating her outer layers now, prepare to eject from the spacecraft!"
Only one of them will ever get to colonise, though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 09, 2018, 08:36:57 am »

Only one of them will ever get to colonise, though.
And, contrary to propaganda, it's not the first one in.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 09, 2018, 08:37:42 am »

And just like that I regret my life decisions.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2018, 08:58:10 am »

And just like that I regret my life decisions.

Regret nothing
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2018, 09:00:11 am »

Wait until you get the child support bill for an entire planet's population, daddy. :P

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2018, 09:01:25 am »

That's when you duck out of this solar system and crash on your cousin's couch in Proxima Centauri.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 12, 2018, 05:31:25 am »

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2018/dec/10/tread-softly-because-you-tread-on-23bn-tonnes-of-micro-organisms

Okay, so... This is pretty big. I mean, one thing is effectively finding an entirely new biome of life here on earth, with survival methods we haven't really observed before... But just think of the implications this has for finding life on other planets.

We've more or less always based "habitability" of a planet on its surface conditions, but subterranean ecosystems that don't really care so much about surface water, winds, daylight cycles and such? That massively expands the number of viable planets.

Imagine finding subterranean microorganisms in one of our own solar system's planets, and realizing that they'd been there the whole time, effectively right under our noses.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 12, 2018, 09:34:40 am »

I was quite surprised to see their age.

Millennia? Flippin' 'ell.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 18, 2018, 05:10:49 am »

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2018, 09:36:56 am »

That is promising looking, so hopefully the results are generalizable to humans.  Oftentimes they aren't, so hopeful skepticism here for now.

Still, this is one of those things I fear most might happen to me in later life, so I'm always glad to see progress on this front.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 18, 2018, 09:41:23 am »

That is promising looking, so hopefully the results are generalizable to humans.  Oftentimes they aren't, so hopeful skepticism here for now.

Still, this is one of those things I fear most might happen to me in later life, so I'm always glad to see progress on this front.
Seconded.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 28, 2018, 07:42:39 pm »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 25, 2019, 08:05:44 pm »

Per rather lengthy derail on Ameripol (More science conversations start there and then move to here than start here, it feels like...)

Specific energy of any elliptical (i.e., bound, in-orbit as opposed to "just passing through" on a parabolic or hyperbolic orbit) orbit (energy divided by mass/independent of the mass of the orbiting body)
Epsilon is the specific energy, "a" is the semimajor axis, G is the gravitational constant.

Epsilon = -G*mparent/(2*a) = v2/2 - G*mparent/r

G * mparent is usually rewritten as a constant, applicable only when the orbiting body's mass mchild << mparent, and this constant is called "mu", so the equation gets a little neater and becomes:

Epsilon = -mu/(2*a) = v2/2 - mu/r

If you really want a derivation, Trekkin, I refer you to any intro-level orbital mechanics textbook, or possibly Wikipedia.

Oh hey look here it is yes I know, Wikipedia, but the equation is accurate.

EDIT: Taking another look the Wikipedia one does in fact use slightly different definitions for some terms, but it's right in the general specifics and both are accurate when referring to anything humans could conceivably build in the next fifty years or more.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:14:25 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 25, 2019, 08:29:47 pm »

Per rather lengthy derail on Ameripol (More science conversations start there and then move to here than start here, it feels like...)

Specific energy of any elliptical (i.e., bound, in-orbit as opposed to "just passing through" on a parabolic or hyperbolic orbit) orbit (energy divided by mass/independent of the mass of the orbiting body)
Epsilon is the specific energy, "a" is the semimajor axis, G is the gravitational constant.

Epsilon = -G*mparent/(2*a) = v2/2 - G*mparent/r

G * mparent is usually rewritten as a constant, applicable only when the orbiting body's mass mchild << mparent, and this constant is called "mu", so the equation gets a little neater and becomes:

Epsilon = -mu/(2*a) = v2/2 - mu/r

If you really want a derivation, Trekkin, I refer you to any intro-level orbital mechanics textbook, or possibly Wikipedia.

Oh hey look here it is yes I know, Wikipedia, but the equation is accurate.

EDIT: Taking another look the Wikipedia one does in fact use slightly different definitions for some terms, but it's right in the general specifics and both are accurate when referring to anything humans could conceivably build in the next fifty years or more.

Oh, I didn't want a derivation; I was mostly curious to see what you'd do when asked to put up or shut up.

You'd have had better luck using Kepler's third law, you know. Specific orbital energy's deliberately written to be, well,
independent of the mass of the orbiting body
so it's not quite germane to your point that orbit will change by changing mass, and furthermore, as you point out, we're not likely to build anything that's going to violate the underlying assumption that satellites are much smaller than the bodies they orbit anyway.

Good try, though. It's remarkable that you'd put forth the effort in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54