Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 87662 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »

He wasn't writing out anything from that link, he was (presumably) quoting a DIFFERENT article that explains how gas gets into caves, since how the CO2 got into the cave isn't explained in the news article.

Actually, it is.

He believes it is possible that the cave sits above the Babadag fault line which could release toxic gases from the Earth’s crust.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 26, 2018, 12:12:21 pm »

A team of pshysicists and biologists at Delft University have solved one of the puzzles of chromosome formation during cell division.
They managed to film condensin (the protein complex involved) in action, as it processed to DNA strands into loops.

Scientists have long wondered, whether condensin 'scrapes DNA together' from the cell, or rather uses a 'needle and thread' technique to form the loops of DNA that compact into chromosomes.
Their video and measurement now prove it to be the latter.
Condensin binds to the DNA, and coils it up in some kind of lasso technique, forming loops that are consequently packed into tight sausages, the choromosomes.

Team leader Cees Dekker, professor in molecular physics at TU Delft says the team learned a lot about the process the making of those loops.
For example, loops are made at a speed of 1500 DNA letters per second, and the process is asymmetrical. The protein complex only exerts force on one side of the DNA string.

Experts are enthousiastic.
"It is very likely that a cell uses this looping strategy more often. Condensin is part of a family of protein complexes that involve similar tasks. It is likely other complexes use the same looping mechanism to give structure to DNA. It could shed more light on gene expression. Knowing how and where proteins grab the DNA is important. A defect in the mechanism could also be the cause of some cancers. It really is a major breakthrough", says Benjamin Rowland of the Dutch Cancer Institute.

"The most important thing about it is just the fundamental knowledge", says team leader Dekker. "The cell has a really elegant way to organize DNA. And now we can see it with our own eyes!"

https://www.delta.tudelft.nl/article/how-fit-two-metres-dna-six-micrometre-nucleus
https://youtu.be/zd2I-Yq_35Y
https://youtu.be/3rB7RchZ2ew
https://youtu.be/Ce7gMNAOI1A
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2018, 02:11:46 pm »

guys help I can't stop obsessing over MICROWAVE GUNS! Just the thought of harmlessly sending a crowd of people down to the floor in pain, or alternatively cooking a whole rack of bacon is just so tantalizing!

That, and all directed-energy-weapons in general. With the lightspeed, armor ignoring, and electronics-frying capability that comes with most of these weapons, I really can't figure out why we're not doing more R&D into it!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2018, 02:34:25 pm »

I did actually see on an old discovery weapon show a lightning gun type weapon that could be deployed behind a squad of soldiers to automatically neutralize anyone coming up behind the squad.   From what I saw of it the thing was bulky, very short range, and while designed as a stunning weapon, there is a reason I used the word neutralize instead of stun in that first sentence.

From my understanding most energy weapons like that either have problems with being directional(if you use it you will take out your own equipment too) being man portable, or reliable enough for use on a battlefield.   That said I'm sure the US government isn't telling everyone and their mother what kind of weapons have been developed.  They might actually have some functional and effective weapons like that, they just have not felt the need to deploy them and show the rest of the world how those work yet.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2018, 04:14:03 pm »

there is a reason I used the word neutralize instead of stun in that first sentence.
Surely you can't neutralise, if pumping a large surfeit of charged particles to somewhere... ;)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2018, 07:05:12 pm »

Reminds me of the "Lightning gun" a guy made. It shoots very visible and noisy electrical arcs, but it has such a low ampage that you can put your hand to it and it only feels like a tickle.
Yes, I saw that too. Basically a handheld Tesla coil. Tesla coils require very high voltage, so the transformer that is connected to the power supply has to reduce current a thousandfold to compensate.

The whole problem with these energy weapons is that the extremely high electrical resistance of the air means that you require absolutely gargantuan power sources in order to do anything at all. Plus the directional aspect of it, like Greiger said. The air pretty much has the same resistance everywhere, so the current doesn't really care which direction it goes in.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2018, 08:29:34 pm »

And that is why you use a laser to pre-ionize the air on the desired path!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 27, 2018, 01:55:08 am »

Or you could use all that energy to throw a bit of metal at the target. Crazy, I know.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 27, 2018, 07:54:10 am »

A bit of metal attached to a non-conducting rod (just in case there are currents involved). I suggest you launch it through a sprung-launched system, which also shouldn't be metal so maybe needs to be a taught cord strung across a flexible wooden radial segment, to avoid the dangers of carrying explosive substances.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 27, 2018, 08:02:05 am »

Uhm...High energy metallic projectile is already a thing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator

It is kinda hard to put more energy into something than a high power explosive detonation can provide, without vaporizing the projectile in the process.

Despite that little issue, DARPA is of course, hard at work..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAHEM

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2018, 01:41:24 pm »

you do realize that the previous 2 posts were talking about guns and bows, right?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2018, 01:59:26 pm »

*whoosh*

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2018, 11:44:11 pm »

RIP Stephen Hawking.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 14, 2018, 10:59:12 am »

...fuck.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54