Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591871 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1945 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6780 on: July 20, 2018, 02:08:00 am »

Forenia and Cannala each have uniforms with helmets and optional armor plates, as well as convenient rigs for carrying ammo and equipment at the ready, although it can't be stressed enough that Forenia's are better looking 

damn straight.

Anyways, I for one think nukes are highly overrated. They are down an ore at the moment though. I'm don't know off the top of my head what that makes more expensive for them, but it should in general take some pressure off of us.

It might be a good idea to make a new dedicated missle ship, or a sub, to help take back naval advantage. It will be important since we are going to be making new landings soon.

Alternatively, start our own night vision or something. Maybe revise the tracking on our garlics.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: July 20, 2018, 02:50:59 am »

A dedicated missile naval ship would be better, simply because we can make it a cheap ship, or possibly even just revise the archer into a missile destroyer. THe looks on their faces when the one ship they kept sinking in now the one ship that's sinking their fleet.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: July 20, 2018, 03:26:17 am »

Just because we have Uranium, doesn't mean we have to make a nuke. There are a bunch of other things we could use it on. I wonder if it's enough to produce depleted-uranium rounds and armour (even if at VE level)?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: July 20, 2018, 03:41:24 am »

It should be a missile sub.  Right now they have superiority in range but if we can launch our missiles suddenly then dive we can catch them unaware.

Alternatively we could make effective body armor.

Also an alternative to a nuke would be grinding the uranium up into a fine powder and dispersing it in the air.  But I think we signed some sort of treaty that might be against that.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: July 20, 2018, 03:57:22 am »

A missile boat would encounter the problem where our missiles severely outranged by their versions.
I'm personally in support of a submarine, but a missile submarine may be biting off a bit more than we can chew. Subs have been around for a long time, but according to wikipedia the first cruise missile submarine was introduced in the 50's (being a modified version of a submarine that was launched in 1941-1943).

We could potentially go for it, but considering we have no submarine experience, I think it'd be better to start off with a nice attack sub. As far as I can see, Cannala has nothing that would strictly protect them against submarines. An attack submarine could make nice headway, giving us time to develop a missile submarine using the experience gained.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6785 on: July 20, 2018, 03:59:23 am »

Just because we have Uranium, doesn't mean we have to make a nuke. There are a bunch of other things we could use it on. I wonder if it's enough to produce depleted-uranium rounds and armour (even if at VE level)?
I'm pretty sure having DU pretty much means you're nuke-making level. DU is a byproduct of making Enriched Uranium, and that's apparently at least 75% of making a nuke.

It should be a missile sub.  Right now they have superiority in range but if we can launch our missiles suddenly then dive we can catch them unaware.

Alternatively we could make effective body armor.

Also an alternative to a nuke would be grinding the uranium up into a fine powder and dispersing it in the air.  But I think we signed some sort of treaty that might be against that.
Please let's not do Juraki. We will just get kicked in ass for that ultimately, and I'm not even sure if there would be any immediate effects of the Uranium (like you inhale it and it's pretty sure you die but it doesn't really work as a military weapon, doesn't it).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: July 20, 2018, 04:01:10 am »

And we do have good torpedoes we can just load into them.

Maybe night vision would be a good idea instead, we attack at night while they cant.  And if we put it in our superior scopes we can do night snipering or something IDK.

Edit: Wait what part of that is Juraki, the armor or the missile sub?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:03:05 am by VoidSlayer »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6787 on: July 20, 2018, 04:02:09 am »

And we do have good torpedoes we can just load into them.
Aerial torpedoes. They suck for naval torpedoes tbh. Too small, short range, that kind of stuff.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: July 20, 2018, 04:05:21 am »

What if we make a fortress sized giant metal deathball powered by a nuclear reactor.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: July 20, 2018, 04:25:05 am »

UFAF-JB-44 "Hammer of Forenia"

The United Forenian Jet Bomber 1944 "Hammer of Forenia" (or just "the Hammer", as it's called in casual conversation) is a larger-scale and more up-to-date bomber than what has been available to us thusfar in the war.  Initial goals of converting the Reckless Effect or Ice Giant into bombers has proven unfeasible; the two aircraft are either too slow, too fragile, or simply unable to carry a "respectable" payload.

The Hammer is fitted with four aT-J40 turbofan engines attached to deep, swept wings.  Similar to the aT-J30's in the VVF, the aT-40 is simply a non-hydrozine burning engine that can maintain the same thrust output.  The cabin is sealed and pressurized for high altitude, and a radar dish sits in the nosecone (a more high-powered variant than what the VVF is equipped with).  The tailplane is cruciform but otherwise similar to the VVF in moving the entire horizontal stabilizer at once.  The paint is designed to scatter UV rays around the aircraft, and if successful this paint can be applied to our other planes.

The payload has been described as "a lot" (though more precise estimates place it at around 16-20 tons) and the construction relies on aluminum rather than wood for reinforcement.  The bombload has been updated to match the new bomber; the automated internal bomb bay can carry conventional bomb munitions as well as canisters of napalm or even a couple Saltseeker or Piracy Warning missiles.

In addition to the radar nosecone, the Hammer features a set of radar altimeters (basically pulled from the Saltseeker) in order to provide more precise altitude readings and rudimentary "terrain mapping" - essentially detecting rises and dips in terrain ahead to allow the pilot to more carefully perform NOE flights.

Crew consists of three: pilot, co pilot/bombardier, and radar/radio operator.  The cockpit comes with Forenia's patented Air Conditioning system and counter-measure suite.

I'm with kot.  Eat a turn of Uranium, buy some breathing room.

EDIT: Added UV paint

EDIT2: NOE altimeters.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:27:34 pm by evictedSaint »

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: July 20, 2018, 04:41:50 am »

I was leaning towards poor boy for the name of our eventual nuke, but it must be deathball.

I suppose a submarine is one of the very few major technologies that neither side has even touched yet. Too bad we'll need more than one turn to really make it useful (sonar and proper torpedoes and all that).

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: July 20, 2018, 04:48:19 am »

I was leaning towards poor boy for the name of our eventual nuke, but it must be deathball.

I suppose a submarine is one of the very few major technologies that neither side has even touched yet. Too bad we'll need more than one turn to really make it useful (sonar and proper torpedoes and all that).

We already sorta have passive sonar from our naval mine; so that's one obstacle mostly out of the way.
Also, Dolphin torpedoes are really only a revision away from being suitable for the role; they're pretty great torpedoes, really. They're just small due to their air-dropped origins (they were designed before our first combat ship).

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: July 20, 2018, 05:05:40 am »

Spoiler: Uranium Rules (click to show/hide)

Clearly we should so some experiments with Uranium, even if we don't want to build a Nuke. We may be able to finagle some sort of bonus for setting up a Nuclear power plant?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: July 20, 2018, 06:56:16 am »

We could probably do good things by redesigning our naval missile into a longer-ranged one, although a better option might be Noose V2, faster and with a better shipside radar package so it can detect and shoot down Cannalan ASMs, as well as being better at shooting down aircraft. Note that it'd need to have a shorter range and higher speed and we'd probably want to aim for less cost as well.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: July 20, 2018, 07:23:33 am »

UF-AAM-45 "Fisherman" Anti-Air Missile
Using our expertise with the "Noose", this missile also uses an active radar homing system, tweaked for reduced detection range (10km) in echange for being able to track much smaller targets, such as the Cannalan "Stingray" and "Barracuda", or hit larger aircraft, such as their helicopters and planes. It has a long, slim shape, with a diameter of 15cm and a length of 2 meters. It follows the "standard" guided missile configuration (seeker in the nose, guidance fins close to the front and rear stabiliser fins). It is designed to fire from an eight-mount launcher, either from a truck bed or a ship deck and potentially launch-able by our aircraft if time allows. Like the "Noose" it also comes with an integration for Deadliest Ray radar targeting. It is propelled by a single oxidized-kerosene liquid booster stage, allowing strike-capability anywhere within the 10km range. It has the same proximity fuse used by the "Noose", along with the cylindrical explosive, metal-rod chain payload.

The decreased size and range should help ensure this is cheap, whilst the difficulty will come into refining our targeting enough to take out their missiles.

Spending a single design to counter their two missile designs should bring us ahead, even if it's only 50% effective. Any hits on aircraft is just a bonus.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 500