Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592673 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6000 on: May 13, 2018, 04:34:47 pm »

Hence we need to nullify their air advantage. I mean their AT advantage means little if we have an armour advantage entirely.

The plan was to put out our own proximity fuses via revision, or maybe revise the jammer for electrostatic jamming.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: May 13, 2018, 04:35:55 pm »

We're going to need more than that to deal with plane mounted RADAR.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: May 13, 2018, 04:37:44 pm »

Why is that? If we have the same proximity fuses as cannala, their their ability to bomb us will be nullified the same way ours was.  Who cares about the fighters at that point?  We can win in a straight ground-fight.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: May 13, 2018, 04:42:04 pm »

They're using high-altitude bombers; do you think that flak is going to stop those entirely? Flak only works if you can get a good position and not be bombed by artillery before an airstrike or the like. Not something they can use on an offensive.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: May 13, 2018, 04:54:39 pm »

Of course, high-altitude bombers can't hit anything without covering the skies with the things. Or guided missiles. I wonder what they are doing next turn...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: May 13, 2018, 06:08:54 pm »

We can't lose the air, go back and look at every single battle report where our air-superiority is even remotely questioned. Every single time we get "Forenia really need it's air power to complete" and, lose terribly. Further more they are slightly winning in the air right now rather then merely contesting. So anything that doesn't make us own the air again is a guaranteed defeat.

UFAF-F-43 'Strife'
The strife is designed to be to return the Cannalan air-force to it's rightful place of being the most dangerous branch of their military. The design is a twin engine flying wing armed with four 20mm auto cannons in the nose. In order to fix with the yawing issue of flying wings a two sets of small fins are mounted on the engine pylons. The new Jt-22 engine are a large improvement over our early crude turbofans. They make use of a twin-spool design letting them make use of a moderate speed feed fan and a high compressor vastly improving power. Further more annular combustors are also used to improving power as well. The four auto-cannons are nose mounted with room to spare for further improvements. To make use of our new missiles the strife includes a rotating bomb bay with a one ton payload; letting it mount up to four missiles at a time. The rotating bay let's the strife fire off a single missile at a time and, a low explosive charge is used to punt them out of the bay; all while being smaller then a comparably bay. Unlike the lighting streak which was unable to use flares the strife has builtin streamlined mounting points for them The flares are also are mounted in a way to fail in front of the engine improving the chances enemy missiles with target them. Thanks to the high lift and ultra low drag nature of a flying wing design the strife can reach unheard of speeds and, can also achieve unmatched agility letting our pilots dodge their missiles with ease.

Don't tell me this is too advance when we are fighting a foe with, a hellfire missile able to directly hit an extremely fast and maneuverable fighter, a bomber able to still carry twelve tons(after nerfing our missiles) powered by engine from a few decades ahead of it's time and, a knockoff Panzerfaust 3 over three decades early. Also if we are going to have to stay with the bloody nazis when we better well get some super weapons out of it. Combo with with a radar mounted in the bomb bay using a revision and, we have a chance of turning this around. If we get a decent radar(although it will take up the whole bomb bay no doubt) we can not only regain the air but, also be in a better position. As with radar we can engage them away from our transports and, bombers. Letting us use them with negligible causalities. Also we should rip the proximity fuze off the missile and use them to knock out their bulls.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:24:22 pm by Light forger »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: May 13, 2018, 06:45:17 pm »

UFAF-F-43 'Strife'
one ton payload
Pirate confirmed!

But you can add my vote if you give the pilot something to breath at low atmosphere and a pressurised uniform to counteract acceleration.

Oh, and I had this idea for venting exhaust out of the wings to deform the airflow, thus effectively changing the shape of the wing to get more or less lift with less control mechanisms than flaps need.

And an emplacement for radar when we develop it would be nice, but that can be added later?

Couuld we make a mechanical computer to automate stall-recovery if the pilot isn't holding the controls?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:51:19 pm by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: May 13, 2018, 07:06:53 pm »

Quote from: The Best Design
UFAF-RF-43 "VV Frightening"

The United Forenian Air Force Radar Fighter "VV Frightening" (the "VV" stands for "Very, Very") is the culmination of all our fighter technology.  The VV Frightening features our cavity radar system in the nosecone, giving the pilot a green screen that can display ships and aircraft in the vicinity of the plane.  It comes with three hard points; one on each wing for missiles and one more on the belly for an optional external fuel tank.  It features two brand-new aT-J30 engines with cobalt components and air scoops on either side of the fuselage, just below the wings.  The output from these engines is enough to allow the VV Frightening to break the sound barrier in a shallow dive, making it the fastest thing in the air. The elevator is designed to deflect completely to give the plane a much tighter turning radius, and a reinforced rudder is positioned over each exhaust outlet.  In order to maintain control during supersonic flight, the control surfaces are hydraulically operated and proportionally larger compared to the overall size of the aircraft.  The VV Frightening makes use of two 30 mm guns mounted over the nosecone to give it the killing power needed to quickly end targets, such as the Charlette bomber.

Unlike the Lightening, a space for flares is built into the design to prevent undue drag, along with our other electronic countermeasures.  It comes with ejection-seats and explosive bolts on the canopy for emergencies, an after-burner system, 100 octane jet fuel, and a tail hook for carrier landings (although the rather short wings do not fold, in order to promote structural stability).

Unlike previous fighter aircraft, the VV Frightening is designed to trade away cost for additional performance - perhaps costing more than our Lightning Streak, but being able to out-perform it (or any other fighter) by a large margin.  Due to the ability to carry missiles, the VV Frightening comes with the PAROI Party's endorsement emblazoned on the fuselage.

If something must be cut due to time constraints, the 30 mm upgrade is bottom priority, followed by the new engines.

Key Notes:
  • Supersonic - two engines, afterburners, 100 octane fuel, stubby swept wings.
  • Controls - fully deflecting elevator, hydraulic controls, two rudders, large control surfaces
  • Upgraded Armament - 2x30 mm cannons, two missile hardpoints
  • Radar - cavity radar in nosecone, display in cockpit
  • Countermeasures - integrated flares and ECM
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:13:35 pm by evictedSaint »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: May 13, 2018, 07:25:10 pm »

given how their radar has been explicitly stated to be a part of the stuff that removed our air advantage, I think that eS' plane design is the one to be going with, here.
Quote from: Votes
(2) UFAF-RF-43 "VV Frightening" (with research credit): Powder Miner, evictedSaint
(1) UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance": Wizgrot
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:14:48 pm by Powder Miner »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: May 13, 2018, 08:47:14 pm »

I feel this urge for our plane to be unusually small, but almost entirely special materials like aluminium and titanium...
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: May 13, 2018, 08:55:57 pm »

(3) UFAF-RF-43 "VV Frightening" (with research credit): Powder Miner, evictedSaint, Taricus

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: May 13, 2018, 09:19:57 pm »

Which real life plane is the frightening a direct copy of?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: May 13, 2018, 09:42:10 pm »

Which real life plane is the frightening a direct copy of?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:37 pm »

(4) UFAF-RF-43 "VV Frightening" (with research credit): void slayer, Powder Miner, evictedSaint, Taricus

It's a weapon, yes lets do this.

My only concern is it seems like a lot, fighter upgrade and smaller radar and a new type of gun, but you know what, fine.

It has high performance fuel, which is close enough to a rocket.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:08 pm »

(5) UFAF-RF-43 "VV Frightening" (with research credit): void slayer, Powder Miner, evictedSaint, Taricus, QuakeIV
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 500