Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590864 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1941 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #4125 on: June 21, 2017, 11:50:32 am »

A possible set we could do next turn, if we hold the Jungle (how might they take it, by the way?), then we could spend the next turn doing a design to boost defenses, with sea mines, dragon's teeth, caltrops, czech hedgehogs, and getting the artillery adaptable targeting computers, proximedy fuses, and fire control stuff that can apply across them all.  Make our defenses far more impregnable.

This should give us some ideas, at least

We're not going to do proximity fuses in a single revision together with a bunch of other stuff. Proximity fuses are hard.

And if we go for the Deadliest Ray design beforehand?  If it would still be too much, then we could drop it as even just the getting the targeting computers (maybe improve them a bit?) on all our arty/tanks would still be helped without it, and the other stuff listed shouldn't really add to the difficulty when wrapped up with it in a 'Defense boost' package.  Could possibly get a few more things from the British Anti-Invasion preparations.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:57:40 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: June 21, 2017, 11:53:03 am »

I feel obliged to mention that targeting computers and systems need not be electronic.  Same for systems that do little but pick up an incoming beam.  If you have an operator, these are straightforward easy systems.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:59:34 am by Devastator »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: June 21, 2017, 11:54:41 am »

I still have my doubts.

Metal detectors were noted (in the infantry QoL revision) as being their own revision, and proximity fuses are harder.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: June 21, 2017, 12:01:22 pm »

Oh, no, they're not prox fuses, but they're very important for night missions and long-range guidance.  Mechanical artillery targeting computers are relatively easy, though, and should be something you guys can do.  Saying that it must be electronic is saying that it must be two difficulty points harder.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: June 21, 2017, 12:02:31 pm »

A thought: how about we give the Japanese one of our tank designs for free?  Should help boost them up a bit, pushing the situation in the Pacific more in Axis favor, and we build a bit of goodwill.  Maybe give them the Jet as well.  Maybe pass them onto the Italians as well.  Sure, we don't get anything out of it directly, but we could severely boost the effectiveness of our allies.  Germans getting the Firecrackers could also be useful.

I feel obliged to mention that targeting computers and systems need not be electronic.  Same for systems that do little but pick up an incoming beam.

This directed towards me, or the deadliest ray?  Because the targeting computers I am talking about are the ones on the Bumblebee being adapted to everything we own, maybe with a few improvements due to time passing and experience in working with them.

Metal detectors were noted (in the infantry QoL revision) as being their own revision, and proximity fuses are harder.

You know, it is a bit annoying how Sensei skipped out on them given how little the rest of the QoL gave us.

As for proximity fuses, we could specify that they are worked on, and if Sensei wants them in their own revision, then he can just do what he did with the metal detectors.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:04:21 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: June 21, 2017, 01:51:24 pm »

Design: Infantry school = pull our most experienced soldiers back from the front as instructors. Design sophisticated training courses such as shell-shock booths and lectures on how best to "man-up" when picking bits of your best friend out of your hair. Oh, there might be obtacle courses and moving targets or somethings?

[...]

This would hopefully get us a clear skills bonus and defend it very effectively. As picking out our elites would be an elite task, and our elite-jundters would be better at removing elite hunters than their new elite hunters, it would be inherently difficult to recover. They could do so with some really awesome designs, but meh...
Nope! Your only "your soldiers are just better" type bonuses come from your General. I've nixed training program type designs in the past for various reasons.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: June 21, 2017, 04:06:14 pm »

I feel obliged to mention that targeting computers and systems need not be electronic.  Same for systems that do little but pick up an incoming beam.

This directed towards me, or the deadliest ray?  Because the targeting computers I am talking about are the ones on the Bumblebee being adapted to everything we own, maybe with a few improvements due to time passing and experience in working with them.
I suspect that it was directed at this:
I'm willing to tentatively support it, if you give up on trying to get proper guided missiles; those are just plain out of our tech range; we need transistors.
And I agree that it ought not need transistors. You just need to tug at some steering levers or something. True it may not be as sophisticated as a tracking system with target memorisation, pattern-recognition prediction, target reacquisition, loitering, waypoints, or any other fancy gizmoes, but a simple "head into the light" ought to be practical if you don't mind spending some space and weight on it.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: June 21, 2017, 05:15:16 pm »

Going to coallate all the stuff I'm suggesting as revision possibilities:

The Best Attack is a Good Defense
A set of modifications in order to boost the defensive capabilities of the Forenian military.  First, the targeting computers of the Bumblebee are adapted to be able to be utilized upon any piece of Artillery or Tank Gun in the service of the Forenian military to boost their capabilities.  Second are a set of new defensive fortifications known as Dragon's Teeth and Czech Hedgehogs, which have barbed wire running between individual examples, are made to limit the movements of enemy tanks on land, or to block the enemy ability to land upon beaches.  Third, Sea Mines are created, to be placed along in the water along beaches to compliment the Dragon's Teeth and Czech Hedgehogs in preventing enemy landings, and to be deployed out of Archers in open sea.

UF-AC41 "Annihilator"
A modern update of the quite old AS-AC18 autocannon with an improved rate of fire to 2700 rounds per minute through usage of technology developed over the twenty-two years the AC18 has been in service.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4133 on: June 21, 2017, 05:19:50 pm »

Nope! Your only "your soldiers are just better" type bonuses come from your General. I've nixed training program type designs in the past for various reasons.
MAGIC SCHOOLGIRLS!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: June 21, 2017, 05:55:00 pm »

Minor proposal I thought up in the Discord: How about we dedicate our design actions to things that boost our offense, while we dedicate our revisions to things that improve our defense?  Being entirely reactive is effectively a death knell in this type of game, but being entirely proactive would result in not shoring up our weak points.  I can admit that the occasional shoddy nonrevised design might come through, but our defense should be able to consistently be strong enough to push them back.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: June 21, 2017, 06:31:25 pm »

UF-TD-41 "Apocalypse"

An extremely powerful Tank Destroyer, this monster utilizes a massive V12 diesel engine to move the tank destroyers large bulk.  It uses a 130mm gun with an autoloader as its primary armament.  The turret is armored with 160mm of Rolled Homogenous Armor, and while the main body is not armored to the same degree, it's frontal hull is still armored with 140mm RHA, and has 80mm of armor upon the sides and rear hull.

Based on this little monster.  Let's kill those Bulls and any other armor they dare try sending at us.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:36:16 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: June 21, 2017, 06:33:33 pm »

Doing a jagdtiger copy seems like overkill. Besides, the best we have is a PzIV with more speed and sloped armour. We'll need a bigger tank chassis to put such a gun on in the first place.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: June 21, 2017, 06:35:34 pm »

Doing a jagdtiger copy seems like overkill. Besides, the best we have is a PzIV with more speed and sloped armour. We'll need a bigger tank chassis to put such a gun on in the first place.

That's a design suggestion.  And overkill?  More like future proofing.  Besides, I did step down the armor a bit in a few areas.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: June 21, 2017, 06:39:32 pm »

Yeah, you know full well sensei is gonna have a field day nerfing it if we try future-proofing it. And more to the point putting a turreted gun that large when we've only got experience in putting guns on tanks which are roughly 50% smaller... Yeah, we're not gonna really have much luck with it regardless of the roll.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: June 21, 2017, 06:51:15 pm »

Yeah, you know full well sensei is gonna have a field day nerfing it if we try future-proofing it. And more to the point putting a turreted gun that large when we've only got experience in putting guns on tanks which are roughly 50% smaller... Yeah, we're not gonna really have much luck with it regardless of the roll.

It's been roughly 7 years since the T33 was put into production, and that's been described as being around Panzer IV quality.  And sure, he may nerf the gun, but we should still have a damn big one on it.

Honestly, I don't think he will.  Canallans made a Turboshaft tank as their first foray into jet tech, and if that was a Very Hard, so if this is more difficult than that, I would be very surprised.  With exception of the autoloader, it's just "make things bigger," and even for that we have a bit of experience with the 300mm's system, while they managed to pull off a new form of propulsion over four years before the concept was even tested.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:54:05 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 500