Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590744 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1941 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #4110 on: June 20, 2017, 03:33:41 pm »

I think he meant to deploy them in water, so their huuuge "lander" can't approach enough to deploy equipment effectively.

Why not deploy them in the water?  If there would be trouble with getting concrete ones out there, could have the Czech Hedgehogs created along with them.  Maybe caltrops because why not at that point?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: June 20, 2017, 04:43:03 pm »

Why not just make sea mines we can place along the coasts, and deploy in the ocean.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: June 20, 2017, 05:07:53 pm »

How about both? Mines by themselves are clear able with enough suicide craft.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: June 20, 2017, 05:10:36 pm »

If their suicide crafts are 90 m long landers, then they are just creating coastal barriers for us.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: June 20, 2017, 05:51:09 pm »

Or we could try air-spotter coordinated wire-guided torpedoes with 40-odd kilometre range launched from coastal bunkers. But I am waiting for the Ekaterina so that we can build Ekaterpedoes...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: June 20, 2017, 06:08:37 pm »

A possible set we could do next turn, if we hold the Jungle (how might they take it, by the way?), then we could spend the next turn doing a design to boost defenses, with sea mines, dragon's teeth, caltrops, czech hedgehogs, and getting the artillery adaptable targeting computers, proximedy fuses, and fire control stuff that can apply across them all.  Make our defenses far more impregnable.

This should give us some ideas, at least
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:19:08 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: June 21, 2017, 01:47:29 am »

Hmm, I'm not sure we should spend more designs on coastal defence. Maybe another revision to fix the fix to the Overcompensator (perhaps being applicable to all artillery this time).

Or we could try air-spotter coordinated wire-guided torpedoes with 40-odd kilometre range launched from coastal bunkers. But I am waiting for the Ekaterina so that we can build Ekaterpedoes...
The whole point of torpedoes is that they hit below the waterline. Making them hover above the surface would be a significant downgrade.
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: June 21, 2017, 02:13:14 am »

A possible set we could do next turn, if we hold the Jungle (how might they take it, by the way?), then we could spend the next turn doing a design to boost defenses, with sea mines, dragon's teeth, caltrops, czech hedgehogs, and getting the artillery adaptable targeting computers, proximedy fuses, and fire control stuff that can apply across them all.  Make our defenses far more impregnable.

This should give us some ideas, at least

We're not going to do proximity fuses in a single revision together with a bunch of other stuff. Proximity fuses are hard.

As for how the enemy can take the beaches, easy. They get a cheaper lander this turn + Cheaper vehicles. We didn't exactly do anything to stop them.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: June 21, 2017, 02:23:22 am »

I think he was proposing a design , not a revision.
But I wouldn't like a purely defensive design right now...
if we hold the jungle, I will push for the ekranoplane plan. also helps defending coast by way of sinking ships, but at the same time it can help push a bit.

And yes, they can take our jungle if they designed something for the task and rolled decently. It wasn't that much in our favor last turn and we utterly failed to improve the overcompensator. More expensive Victorias will help us getting the long range cannon advantage, but holding the jungle is no sure thing.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: June 21, 2017, 03:46:40 am »

The whole point of torpedoes is that they hit below the waterline. Making them hover above the surface would be a significant downgrade.
I do agree with you in theory. But I kind of feel that the speed would have advantages. Bombs DO sink ships, and while a ludicrous-sized rocket would be a lot to carry around, if it could reliably mission-kill a ship, especially if it could distort the mid-ship enough to mess with a landing strip, then it would probably be worth it given how easy it would be to hit when you have a relatively high-speed projectile that is pretty much guaranteed to be at the correct altitude so you only need to aim horizontally...

Alternatively, have it on a timer so that it drops to the drink shortly before hitting...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: June 21, 2017, 10:32:58 am »

Option for next turn, perhaps?
Design:  RDN-39-3 "DEADLIEST RAY"
The most notable advancement by the Radar Defense Network Mk. 3 "Deadliest Ray" is the invention of the cavity magnetron.  Leaps and bounds smaller than the primitive radar installations currently used on land and sea by the Forenian Army, it is the culmination of several years of research and multiple attempts to improve the radar system itself.

This system is small enough to move from dedicated Cargo-Radar ships to being mounted in the command towers of military naval ships without sacrificing the turret stations.  It is small enough to be mounted on mobile trucks and SPAAG's for in-field radar detection and even mounted aboard a Reckless Effect (or Ice Giant, if space is not permitting) in order to provide mobile air-based radar command stations for arial operations.  Rather than an entire battery of Overcompensator Shore Defense systems relying on a single radar installation, each may be mounted with its own radar system.

A by-product of this new invention is the invention of an ESM - an Electronic Support Measure.  Simply a radar system without an emitter, this allows a detector to passively detect in-coming radiation and determine the bearing of the signal relative to the craft.  Small enough to be mounted aboard either the Thunderbird or Haast, this allows scout-craft to detect enemy radar, increasing the range of detection of our ships on the sea as we should be able to home in on the enemies ship-borne radar.

This passive detection can also be concievably used for proximity fuses in flak shells or for homing devices in missiles, but for the moment this design focuses on miniaturizing the size of our radar and mounting it on our existing systems, with a minor goal of isolating the detector portion of the radar for ESM warfare.

Opens the way for proximity fuses, helps us on both land and sea, gives us a route for guided weapons, and it's all done by simply researching a time-period appropriate tech in a field we've fiddled with three times before now.  Hell, it may even help the Overcompensator by giving each gun its own radar.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:11:58 pm by evictedSaint »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: June 21, 2017, 10:43:45 am »

Ambitious, but I like it.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: June 21, 2017, 11:29:34 am »

I'm willing to tentatively support it, if you give up on trying to get proper guided missiles; those are just plain out of our tech range; we need transistors.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: June 21, 2017, 11:36:07 am »

Guided missiles are not an aspect of the design.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: June 21, 2017, 11:38:20 am »

No, but I don't want it ending up having a few guided munition designs gumming up the turns. :V
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 500