Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591534 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2130 on: May 19, 2017, 03:25:59 am »

Design: UFAF-F39 'Fuckbringer'

Designed as a pure air superiority fighter, the 'Fuckbringer' is the next generation in piston-based aircraft.  It is armed with only two nose-mounted 20 mm AC18 cannons to save weight, and features a single hard-point on the fuselage where a single 100 kg bomb or drop-tank can be mounted.  Perhaps the most ambitious aspect of the 'Fuckbringer' is the new engine; an H24 two-staged three-speed twincharged inline engine.  It is the single most powerful engine built in Forenia.  It is essentially two V12 engines placed horizontally against one another - this symmetry has a surprising benefit of eliminating both first order and second order vibration.  The engine features a methanol-water liquid cooling system to put up with the intense heat generated by the motor.  The aerodynamics of the plane reflect its role as a superiority fighter; clipped wings to improve roll rate, reinforced wings and tail to allow sharper turns, the powerful engine allows for high climbing speed, and combat flaps and slats for low-speed maneuvers.  The cockpit also features a new "teardrop" shaped design to allow the pilot to see all around them without unnecessary obstruction.  The 'Fuckbringer' is equipped with radio, O2, retractable landing gear, and folding wings.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2131 on: May 19, 2017, 03:36:10 am »

So, yes, losing air superiority would be very bad. So I would be okay with developing a fighter, and revising something for the jungle (QoL?)
If we do, it needs:
-An improved engine, whether that be something turbo-prop-esque, or a double-V12, or something else.
-Not too many guns. 2 ACs, wing mounted- not upscaled, no need to increase difficulty when our current ACs are taking their planes down just fine- 2 MGs, nose mounted.
-At most the capacity to mount a single, small drop tank. Or two tonnes of bombs.
-All the usual bells and whistles. Oxygen regulation, retractable gear, radio. You know.
-No more extra fancy features! I'd really like to design something of Normal difficulty, for a change.
Long Live United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: May 19, 2017, 03:46:23 am »

0 Banana Salad Assault Carrier:
0 UFS-DD-40 Pattern A 'Ranger':
0 UFAF-LF39-S 'Zilant':
0 Multiple Rocket Launcher UF-MRL-40 ‘SARUKH’:
0 UF-40-H/MB-T 'Demolisher':
0 Design: UFAF-F39 'Fuckbringer':
0 :
0 :
Design: UFAF-F39 'Fuckbringer'

Designed as a pure air superiority fighter, the 'Fuckbringer' is the next generation in piston-based aircraft.  It is armed with only two nose-mounted 20 mm AC18 cannons to save weight, and features a single hard-point on the fuselage where a single 100 kg bomb or drop-tank can be mounted.  Perhaps the most ambitious aspect of the 'Fuckbringer' is the new engine; an H24 two-staged three-speed twincharged inline engine.  It is the single most powerful engine built in Forenia.  It is essentially two V12 engines placed horizontally against one another - this symmetry has a surprising benefit of eliminating both first order and second order vibration.  The engine features a methanol-water liquid cooling system to put up with the intense heat generated by the motor.  The aerodynamics of the plane reflect its role as a superiority fighter; clipped wings to improve roll rate, reinforced wings and tail to allow sharper turns, the powerful engine allows for high climbing speed, and combat flaps and slats for low-speed maneuvers.  The cockpit also features a new "teardrop" shaped design to allow the pilot to see all around them without unnecessary obstruction.  The 'Fuckbringer' is equipped with radio, O2, retractable landing gear, and folding wings.

I object to the name, as sending such craft could be compared to giving any of them.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: May 19, 2017, 03:52:24 am »

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: May 19, 2017, 04:03:30 am »

[Content redacted. GLORY TO FORENIA]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:10:23 am by Mulisa »
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:10:54 am by Mulisa »

Glory to Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: May 19, 2017, 04:07:30 am »

Mulisa, in last game shaft mounted machineguns were mentioned as making the engine heavier.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: May 19, 2017, 04:15:06 am »

Quote from: Design Votes
2 UFAF-LF40-S 'Zilant': Mulisa, Lightforger
0 Multiple Rocket Launcher UF-MRL-40 ‘SARUKH’:
1 Design: UFAF-F39 'Fuckbringer': Powder Miner
-But name it the Birdeater (1): Powder Miner

eS's design is a no go as our autocannons use APIB which can't be propeller syched; so they would have to be mounted on the wings. Also that name, just really?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: May 19, 2017, 04:26:12 am »

The V16 engine is just too large and offers a poor weight to power ration. I'd be willing to support it if it was an optimised V12 design
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: May 19, 2017, 04:28:01 am »

Some ideas for the future

Death Ray Detector
A modified death ray with the transmitter removed. It is designed to detect the pings transmitted by Cannalan radar equipment, and to be small enough to be aircraft mountable. It uses a fixed forward facing directional antenna, but also features much weaker detection in all directions. It goes "ping" when it detects a radar ahead, "beep" for a radar in any direction, and "beepbeepbeep" for a radar directly below. The volume of the tone corresponds to the strength of the radar signal. Pilots unfamiliar with the system often ask about the slider labeled "more sanity - less sanity". They are told that they will figure it out.
(logic: Our aircraft could find ships on their own, and maybe bomb ground stations at night. Ships too if they are very lucky. Also, enemy ships may be forced to turn off their radar to stay hidden, leaving them vulnerable to attack if our ships see them. Their new carrier doesn't have that option, without its radar it can't launch planes to defend itself.)

Little Brother Radio Snooper
A ground mounted rotatable directional dish designed to pinpoint the source of Cannalan radio transmissions. It is sensitive to the frequencies used by enemy radios, but makes no attempt to decode them. Instead, it uses a series of lights to display the strength of any signals it detects on the tuned frequency. A speaker is available for a more subjective measurement. Two or three LBRS systems over a wide area can be used to triangulate the transmitter's location on land or sea.
(systems like this have been in use for over 30 years at this point. Also, it shouldn't care too much about their frequency hopping system since it only attempts to detect the signal.)

Night vision googles
Something like this may be useful for our paratroopers, they could sneak in at night.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zielger%C3%A4t_1229

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: May 19, 2017, 04:32:51 am »

Actually I think I'll change to the rocket artillery; Our last artillery piece is from 1912 afterall.
1 UFAF-LF40-S 'Zilant':  Lightforger
1 Multiple Rocket Launcher UF-MRL-40 ‘SARUKH’: Mulisa

Glory to Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: May 19, 2017, 04:33:14 am »

However, a V16 should be simpler to design than a V12 with plenty of improvements.

A better V12 could be  "It uses a V12 optimized for power, with a 2 speed - 2 stage supercharger and fuel injection. To further boost performance, better grade aviation fuel is used in this design" ( left methanol injection out, this is starting to be complex sounding.)

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: May 19, 2017, 04:35:24 am »

The V16 engine is just too large and offers a poor weight to power ration. I'd be willing to support it if it was an optimised V12 design

Changed to a V12 with a more complex supercharger which should give it a fair bit more power. Without knowing what the Haast's engine is like I can't really guess any other changes.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: May 19, 2017, 04:46:24 am »

2 UFAF-LF40-S 'Zilant':  Lightforger, Andrea
1 Multiple Rocket Launcher UF-MRL-40 ‘SARUKH’: Mulisa

Cast my vote for the motorjet. But I think it will be hard, or very hard.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: May 19, 2017, 05:08:07 am »

A suggested revision,  that will benefit not just the Jungle,  but all fronts:
UF-AC-40 Designed to replace the AS-AC18, without having to alter any designs that use it, this applies twenty years of improved weapons knowledge to apply general improvements all round,  but specifically in reducing the weight of the weapon and allowing easy interchange of ammo.

I mention this now, as I might not be back in time to see the revision phase.

2 UFAF-LF40-S 'Zilant':  Lightforger, Andrea
2 Multiple Rocket Launcher UF-MRL-40 ‘SARUKH’: Mulisa, Kashyyk
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 500