Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239386 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1485 on: January 25, 2022, 05:01:50 pm »

Page 100 hell yes

Spring 153

An evening in the tavern

It was a calm evening of march in Kimaeslo Ori. The Candies of Jade – the local tavern was full of villagers, coming to drink and relax from the working day – a day like any other in the calm routine the bridgetown had fall into.
« Hear men hear me »  a man was requesting the right to speak. It was Reloth Ralindencoth, a farmer of the village. Reloth have been trained as a bowyer, but due to the ever increasing price of wood and the local arms market being completely monopolized by the metalsmiths, he had to find another trade. He was now a farmer, member of the local guild and now experienced at working the soil.

When the chatter stopped around him, he declamed :

« Oled desli kostru,
Lubbe alle birod »

Roughly translated, that poem would mean « My friend, silkiness means little : we are only as good as our leather is thick »

« A learned man ! » exclamed Ontla, a patron of the inn, leatherworker by trade, recognizing the poem as an exemple of the Mother of Luxuries, a pearlite poetic form. « Word, word » exclaimed another, emphatically approving the message of placid resilience, dear to pearlite citizen. The other patrons applauded politely and the chatter resumed.

Spoiler: A mixed reception (click to show/hide)

« Speaking about Birod.... » Ontla approached the impromptu poet – both men were friends and would often drink together. Birod was the last word of the poem – but also the name of a well-known knight of Thomocemir.

« Did you heard that ? Birod is leaving Thomocemir and coming here ! »

It was big news. Thomocemir's knights were pretty much the most skilled warriors of the known world, standing head and shoulders above other master-at-arms. Having one of them settling in Kimaeslo Ori was definitely a sign of the glowing up of the town.

A legenbdary sword instructor would also be a benediction for the militia, which would now learn from the very best.

« No only that, but Birod is also the son of the Trader's guild mistress, Uquur Dirlugisep » added Ontla. « Our fame and fortune is made, my friend ! »

The two men chatted a bit, and after a couple refill of their cups, Reloth wished his friend goodbye.

« I have to sleep early » he explained as he scrambled toward the door.

« I have an appointment with the Lady tomorrow ».

An appointment in the throne room

Reloth  woke up with a headache, but relatively sober – he met Lady Desli near the market.

With a headcount a bit over one hundred souls, the Lady of Kimaeslo Ori could afford to pass on protocol. From an outside perspective she was, in fact, undistinguishable from her subjects. Qshe would pass her days in the craftmen's hall, making  craftgoods out of animal bones and horns, work the fields when comes the season and would at times spend the evening at the tavern with the other patrons.

Having an appointment with her was not difficult – one would just need to ask politely.
But however close she was of her subjects, she was still the person in charge – even without a fondness for decorum, the weight of her decisions alone carried some gravitas.

Desli and Reloth walked ti the bridge palace with a couple documents. It was a bit more than an administrative formality and there were papers to be stamped.

The bridge palace, while under construction, had a couple functionnal rooms

Now the palace was still under construction, but the main room had been fully floored and furnished into a functionnal office. Altho it would still need a lot of work to be worthy of being a throne room, it would suffice for now. The two of them sit at the blue microline table in the center of the room and their faces close with a stern expression.

« I don't get it » Lady Desli started bile putting the paper on the table. « The town already sports a guildhall for farmers – and it's the tallest building in town so far ! What else could you want ? »

« We have a Farmer's guild » Reloth corrected.  « It's a generic hall for the whole class. »

What he wanted instead – and it was the purpose of his appointment, was to create an additional, suppletive and specialized guild specifically for worker of the earth.
The farmer's halls may be big, but as it stands it was shared with a lot of other professions – shephards, spinning wheel workers, cheese makers and so on. The farmers whose job it was to work- by far the more numberous -  the earthsimply did not have the space to run their meetings.

As to stress his point, he put his finger on the paper laying on the table – filled with crosses. It was supposed to be a petition, and it was filled with crosses as most of the farmers signing it were not litterates. However, Lady Desli know her subjects well enough to know that it was genuine.

« Fine » she said. « I'll give you a place – you'll have to amenage it yourself and I do not promise glamour. »

Reloth, who wasn't expecting any glamour at all for his band of  field plowers, left the meeting very satisfied.

Does it bite ?

A couple days later, the elven merchants of Iferifiyopi arrived in town for their yearly visit. Elves were always well received, less due to the quality of their merchandises but because the Thaguk Alnos wanted to be proactive in the promotion of peace.

Two squads were tasked to assist the village in moving goods to the marketplace : Histamine's crossbows and Totten's maces.

Histamine because negociating was her job, and Totten because her squad was now pretty much ready to deploy in a conflict and would not need to force drills anymore : now the soldiers would have to train on their own, and pursue normal civilian life until their strengh is needed.

This sudden influx of twenty pair of arms in the workforce allowed the market to be set very easily. Spring's market was always fast anyway – exchange a few trade goods, make a donation to the crown of Iferifiyopi, maybe buy some burning wood and animals – and the elves would be on their way.

This year, a peculiar best caught Histamine's attention.

A towering woodland creature of muscle and fur, sitting peacefully next to its owner.

« Does it bites ?  Histamine asked, pointing at the grizzly bear.

-  Of course !  the merchant smiled. And it claws, and it mauls ! »

It was quickly bought and given to Figaro.

Other trades mostly included grown wooden furnitures, bns, barrels, chests – more to save local wood to use as a fuel than anything else. The merchants conducted their trades over the span of a few days under the stone roof covering the open market, then departed to their forests in the west.

Birod and friends

A few days after the elve's departure, a new group of traveller hit the town – a group of about a dozen people, maybe more, maybe less, coming from the east. They crossed the eastern entry arch at sundown. There, they ordered drinks and meals and gatherd in the inn basement to rest from their travels.

The basement was the inn's main gathering place – a room whose walls are lined with statues, meant for poetry and music.

When the word came to town that a new group of migrants had arrived – and in Kimaeslo Orin word goes very fast – villagers came to the taver to size them up.
Most of them were pretty unremarkable, small traders or day-workers, but one of them was standing   out from the others.

It was Birod « Infinite dream of light », knight of Thomocemir, hardly recognizable without his armor –  when he was finally unmasked, people gathered around him.

Birod was a celebrity – only surviving child of Uquur and Thratnu,  granbdchild of Lord Ulet of Lemhuqihu, swordmaster and war hero, with over sixty notches on his blade.

« I'm here to see my mother » he explained to the curious crowd assembling around him, and after pause looking at his wife, added « Maybe we'll settle here and start a family – we'll see. »

« You have to tell Usu ! » said a man in the crowd a bit too loudly. « He has been looking for a sword instructor for years now »

Usu... Asin's son ? Sure he has. Since he was a kid, he has been looking for a sword instructor. But Thomocemir's barracks were full and he could not find someone else willing to teach him – Usu has been looking everywhere for a teacher, and this had lead him to travel the world in company of shadowy figures - mercenaries and vagrants. He found a temporary instructor in Lord Ulet of Lemhuqihu who had a bit of fame - but for the most part, he was self taught.

« I'm tired of the war, and do not wish to be an instructor »  said Birod. « But of course, I'll see Usu – tomorrow at sunbreak. I haven't seen him since we were kids – I wonder what he looks like now.»

Convenient monkey raid
The next morning at subreak, as Birod was to visit the barracks carved inside the hill, he would not find Uzu – Toki and his men alone were training. He asked around, to get situated.

« You are at the right place » Toki reassured him. « But Uzu and his swords are out to chase the monkeys »

The monkeys – yes. Kimaeslo had a monkey problem. Every now and then, these buggers would gather into small tribes and raid the outskirts of the town. Sometimes killing small dogs, sometimes attacking civilians, sometimes tryng to steal items or being a general nuisance.

When it happens, the militia is usually mobilized to chase them away, it's a good training and it gives them something to do. This time, Uzu volonteered his squad as he wanted to see those dwarven iron blade at work.

« They were last seen next to the boneyard, south of the town »  Toki added. « You can go and check, or just wait for his return. Shouldn't be long. »

Birod thanked him, and elected to go and check. He picked an old copper sword on the rack – just in case – and walked to the boneyard.

He met the swordsmen on their way back. « Too late ! » one of them said. « Uquur already slew them all. Got to get the butcher pick up the carcasses »

Uquur ? Of course, Birod knew that name. It was his mother, wasn't it ?  He pressed on, and spotted the aging lady, next to the boneyard, her leather garment sprayed with blood. It was his mother alright.

As he was left alone with her, it is unknown what the both of them talked about.

A couple minutes later, villagers arrived to pick up the monkey corpses – they would be butchered, of course, rendered into meat, bones for the craft shop, leather for padding armors.

It was also decided that the fat, rendered into tallow, was meant to be made into soap. The formula for soap was widely known in Mong Kima, but rarely used at all – pearlites had often other priorities.

But as the town was developping, the villagers were starting to acquire a taste for luxury. Maybe they could build public baths – why would they not ?

There was still a lot of space for public buildings on the giant bridge under construction.

Birod and his mother have been with us for a very, very long time. Almost from the start actually.

Birod, on the left, is the only survivor among her kids.  Ilpi, the second son, was killed during a werebeast attack (it's an old story) and Lum, the daughter, died in 136 while defending Thomocemir.

Needless to say I want Birod to succeed in making his family grow, especially he has, alongside his mother, a long history of defending Thomocemir and Mong Kima with his life.
It's time for him to wind down a little.

I have a lot of work on the crafting table. The bridge, the palace, the compacter, the new houses, and the military. Things will take time for sure, and I have the feeling that some of my population is not pulling its weight, mostly the traders. I'll whip them back to work, especially I need more arms at the quarry.

Hopefully things will speed up a bit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 09:47:51 am by Cathar »

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 25, 2022, 05:28:34 pm »

Congrats on the 100th page! : D
Nice update!
I really like the slice-of-life feelings of your world, makes your story feel very alife!
The part with the poet is also a nice touch.

'Does it bite' ?  Histamine asked, pointing at the grizzly bear.

-'Of course!'  the merchant smiled. 'And it claws, and it mauls!'

It was quickly bought and given to Figaro.

I don't know which quote from you i like more;
this, or the one about the people of Kimaeslo Ori casually eating 'the flesh of the gods';D

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1487 on: January 25, 2022, 05:38:39 pm »

With the amount of happenings in previous years, I feel like nothing happening is an event in and of itself, and strangely enough I do enjoy watching my little people just getting by and building stuff.
I still want to conquer the region though.

Also thanks lol. Can't let those big carcasses rotting away if they are edible ! Will pray to living gods, will eat them once dead. Pearlites are to their gods what cats are to their owners.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1488 on: February 17, 2022, 05:52:23 am »

Summer 153
The compactor

One of the benefits of being built next to an arm of sea water was, for Kimaeslo Ori, was the pleasent and constant weather all year round. The summer, especially, was particulary comfortable – mostly dry and warm, refreashed by the tides, gave every year an air of vacation to the town. It was no surprize that many neighbouring pearlites, from neighbouring villages or even from Thomocemir, decided to migrate to the bridgeown – even considering the lack of proper housing.

The development of the town and the adaptation of its infrastructure, and the geopolitical calm the region was currently experiencing made Kimaeslo Ori into a choice destination for summer – or so it would, would it not be a couple issues – the periodical invasion of rhesus macaques, the looters and vagrants living on the fringes of the town, and more specifically for tour story, the amount of trash littering the streets.

For its economy, Kimaeslo Ori took a page out of Thomocemir's book and based its market on the back of the textile industry. The border, warrior town of Thomocemir used that trick to fund its defensive campaigns – the merchant town of Kimaeslo Ori refined it into an art.

With a steady production of rope reed, complemented with animal wool, furs, and underground spider silk, dyed with the juice of blue phosphorescent mushrooms, threaded, weaved and cut by expert craftmen, the gears and jewelery produced would not only have a high value, but would also – by wear – lose it over time.

Far from being a drawback, this decay allowed the production of new clothes – a non-food-related consumtion good, that could be used as a currency and as an engine for the economy.

The drawback of cloth used as a currency is the amount of clutter generated by old  worn apparels – a notch on an expensive garment, and it would lose most of its value, and would end up discarded in the streets. Overtime, the streets of the village filled with old trousers and shirts – and that trash would accumulate without end. A solution needed to be found – trading old clothes to elves and dwarves was not possible, due to the difference in size, and the pearlites had enough consideration for their brothers outside of the village to not sell their old clothes to the traders guild.

A solution had to be found. It was theorized back in Thomocemir that a large mechanical contraption with presses and gravity operated gears could be used to crush tons of trash at the time. A device was even tried at the time, but with rudimentary scientific knowledge and crude mechanical expertise, those attempts failed.

Elder Dotep, who had some mechanical experience, had proposed another go to that device, some years ago – instead of being dug in the ground, the trash compactor would be build on the ground – taking the exterior apparence of a large stone pyramid – trash would be fed by an opening on its tip, then fall in a gear operated press, where they would be reduced into a very compact paste, and eventually rejected by another opening on its base – what would have to be cleaned every now and then. In summer 153, that device was finally built and could soon be tested. With a bit of luck, it would solve the problem of clutter in the street, and would assist the disposal of non-recyclable Osmite wargear.

Mate and Jam, and matchmaking

Jamila was one of the seven founders of Thomocemir – she served successively as a hunter, a contact for the merchant guild, a scout officer, before being critically injured in the battle of 136 and had to step down in favor of Zefer, her apprentice at the time.

After her crippling wound, that left her with only one functioning hand, she married a cook of Thomocemir, Mate, and their daughter Ithbi was born in 140, and lived a peaceful life in the bordertown.

Now in spring 153 Ithbi had become officially an adult, and immediately decided to marry to a slightly older girl by the name of Shato.

Wanting to give their daughter some space and to allow themseves to see more of the kingdom, the aging parents decided to settle in Kimaeslo Ori for a while.

Why not ? After all, it was very pleasant in this season.

Mate was a renown cook and farmer, Jamila was a great archer and hunter. None of their skills was in high demand in Kimaeslo Ori, but no one doubted they would adapt easily – and it was always good to see familiar faces.

Their arrival nonetheless reminded the town of a the pearlite tradition of matchmaking – Mate and Jamila didn't met by chance, they were intrigued together by the town of Thomocemir. Some other marrieges were organized by the bordertown – it seemed a necessary conditions for couples to form in the first place.

The number of bachelors in Kimaeslo Ori was indeed too high – and not only that sorry state of affair was generating unhapiness among the population and was limiting the city growth, it was also costing the town deerly in very limiting ressources : space and housing.

It was time the Thaguk Alnos do something about it.

Now, in addition to all non-married named characters, Princeling Sothro, son of Ryukan, Usu, son of Asin and Lady Desli are people I consider marrying in autumn.

If you're dorfed and have an opinion on the marrital status of your character, by all mean make yourself heard.

Taming macaques

As per usual in end of spring and in summer, Kimaeslo Ori had a recurring problem of raiding macaques. In july, a group of them came from the south east and tried to reach the dumping grounds in order to snag an item or a piece of rotting meat.

Unlucky for them, this is where Uquur was roaming – as soon as she saw them approaching, she jumped on them and slew a couple of them. The rest of the group flew in terror. Some were slain by the guild mistress, some escaped by the skin of their fangs. Two of them fell into traps dug in the ground – a last one had the misfortune to run past a guard dog, tied nearby. The two animals fought for a couple instants, until the last macaque slipped in another trap.

Soon, the butcher came to the scene and picked up the corpses – they would get a fair share of meat for the meals, fat for the soap, and bones for the crafts.  But most importantly, three macaques were caught alive – one male and two female. Enough to start a domestic heard. They were confied to Figaro and the other animal trainers of the village. Some modicum of domestication was somewhat atteined – the monkeys were rather smart.

They were tied to the abandonned barracks on the other side of the bridge, waiting for them to breed pups, easier to acclimate to human society.

After that – who knows. Either their pups will be sold to the guild, or used in the various industries dpending on animal husbandry.

The guild's annual visit

At this point, the visits of the guildsmen have become a well practiced routine : one or two squads would take soime weeks off to help set up the market, crafts would be moved in bulks from the craftmen's guild on the bridge to the market in front of the farmer's.

The trade was similar every year : guildsmen would exchange fuel and metals – especially tin and iron – against locally produced craftgoods, mostly jewlery.

This trade was still important to the bridgetown, as it allowed the metalsmith to work on better metals than Osmitye copper – of which they had plenty – and to work their furnaces while lmiting the damage caused to their local forest.

The production of weapons would, in turn, be a rotating gear toward the construction of a large military, a step toward a goal appearing everyday more clearly : regional dominance.

I successfully made Armok vision to work again on my computer ! Horrray !
The config file was bugged apparently

Axe Captain Toki, the army, the war

Safe for a couple of missing pieces, the axe squad of Toki was almost completely outfitted now. They were wearing a heavy armor composed of a leather vest under a lamellar coat out of bronze or copper, helmet, gloves and boots, solid greaves – they were from head to toe clad in metal. An axe of bronze or pearlite iron and a shield of boiled leather or wood served as their armement. A lucky few even had their leather coat replaced by an even sturdier metal breastplate, making their gear the most expansive armor pearlites could reasonably produce.
Their lack of experience was quickly resorbing under the training of the militia – including their captain, three master at arms were now among them.

The princeling Sothro was removed and replaced – the time of starting the expansion was closing soon.

Now the question is, who to attack, when, and with what ressources.

Attacking the city of Edetledir with a squad of master at arms would garantee victory, but would delay the time of expanding our sphere of influance.

If we were to attack in year 153, we would have to take some risks, and to decide to maybe include Histamine's crossbows into the marching order. The squads of Totten and Usu are pretty much locked in place, which means we can only mobilize some twenty pair of arms for an enterprise of conquest.

Maybe we can give Toki a couple of master at arms from other squads, and retrain the discarded recruits in the defensive units. Else, we can just wait until the armies are ready to march on their own.

I don't know yet, ideas welcome. Regardless, the military will keep expanding in the forseeable future.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 17, 2022, 01:20:04 pm »

I recall seeing somewhere in the thread (probably our character profiles) that pearlites are a bit put off by the idea of family, which is probably the issue. I'm probably wrong though.

Either way, if your dudes are being resistant to getting hitched (something that it always seems like Mong Kima genuinely needs to be happening to survive) sometimes things have to be expedited, so you do you. Personally I find the nuptial chamber concept silly, same as danger rooms.

And it's weirdly satisfying to see that big ass bridge slowly but surely creep its way over the water every update just a bit more each time.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 17, 2022, 09:49:08 pm »

Always a delight to see an update. I see your art style is developing.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1491 on: February 27, 2022, 11:54:02 pm »

Fall 153

Of metal, fuel and miscellaneas

This autumn, the merchants from Nishtiz came early – the market was still set from the visit of the guildsmen in summer. At this point in time, Kimaeslo Ori have been used to have its foreign market permanetly set – only in the months of winter it remained empty. The production of craftgoods was  to continue year round to provide the seasonal guests.

Of all merchants, the dwarves of Nishtiz were the most important – not only because of their dwarven steel, but because they were also trading other rare metals, tin, and large quantities of fuel.

Fuel especially had become the limiting factor in the town development – from the ceramic tiles and statues, to glazes, glass and – of course – metals, most industries functionned on fuel.

Without fuel, most of the town's advanced industries would crawl to a stop – idle workers would fill the tavern and only base industry – stonework, craftwork and clothwork, exclusively – would remain in shop.

Luckily, both the guildsmen trader of Mong Kima and the dwarves of Nishtiz understood the profit there has to be made by selling wood by the ton to the developping city – and so, for the second half of the year, the industries would function continuously.

Rarely, in fact, so much work had been done in so little time. In less than a month, Toki's axe squad was completely outfited and ready to go.

The farmer guild petitionned for a gloom up of their old guildhall, and their project was accepted – which meant new furnitures and high quality decorations had to be produced . To also save space in the soon-to-be great farmer guildhall, workshops and amenities are starting to be, little by little, phased out of the building.

Since the time of the Aconilun, the farmer's guildhall had been used to feed and shelter the poor and the newcomers. A couple of rooms had been stuffed with beds – people who lacked a place to sleep could sleep in the farmer guild at any time – then cross the road and take their breakfast in the inn.

Likewise, the first floor was dedeicated to farming-related workshops, and unoccupied various bedrooms could be found on the higher floors. In order to specialize the building into a dedicated guildhouse, a fall point had to be found for all those amenities – the  shelter, the individual rooms, - maybe the workshops (although they are indeed related to the farmers guild and may be in the best hands while located in their hall).

That process of furtinure migration took a lot of time.

The ladies of Edetledir
• A bit of history

In July 130, the seaside city of Edetledir suffered a serie of attacks from their neighbours, the elves of Wulemaapasi. A firstd efeat from the defense of Edetledir prompted them to hurry to the negociation table – to beg the attacks to stop.

Queen Caraca feigned to accept, and required them to dsend them a reccuring tribute every spring – but before the first tribute date even had a chance to be met, Wulemaapasi attacked again, this time routing the defense forces completely.

This was a disaster on multiple grounds – not only Mong Kima lost a production center and a major trading hub, but most critically, Edetledir was located next to the royal castle of Asuciro, sheltering Queen Usu and her court.

The fall of Edetledir left the royal court vulnerable to a direct attack not only from Wulemaapasi, but also from the empires of the region – Osme in particular.

Immediate reaction was – of course – warranted. Luki Usupim « Freedom in the mist »,  a local pearlite hero, installed members of her band on the local government of Edetledir and tasked them to protect the crown from enemy invasions.

The « Released flowers » - it was the name of the new government, quickly declared its independence from the crown, while commitiing to its mission of regional security. Out of option and with a whole set of more urgent problems to solve, the crown accepted that compromise : it would lose one of its major city, but retain a layer of defense against Wulemaapasi and Osme.

Luki left the city soon after the independence, travelled a bit on her own, then elected to settled in Kimaeslo Ori where she died during an Osmite attack in 142.

RIP Luki

For 13 years now, the Released Flowers worked in good intelligence with the kingdom, stopping multiple attacks from all of the crown's neigbouring enemies :
From 130 to 135, the Released Flowers completely drove off the elves of Wulemaapasi – inflicting them three defeats back to back. In 135, the elves completely gave up their attacks on the town.

However, the respite for the pearlite bandits was short lived : in 135, war was declared by the empire of Osme on Mong Kima, and border towns suffered a flurry of attacks. Thomocemir managed to stop a large part of those attacks – but Edetledir also suffered their share of the war, especially in the beggining.

In 135, four attacks from Osme were repelled, in 136, two more. After six victories in short orders, Osmite hordes were finally driven back, and the city knew a few years of peace.

However skilled the Released Flowers were in the art of war, they were poor administrators, and could not capitalize on those years to rebuild their infrastructure – and Edetliedir remained a poor, near sighted, improductive city state, with no way of surviving its own weight in the long term.

Wulemaapasi launched an animal attack for a last time in 142 – 11 years ago – but once again, their attack force was completely wiped out by the Released Flowers and their mercenaries.

Edetledir and the Released Flowers were instrumental in the early efforts of the kingdom to drive off their multiple enemies, both elves and goblins. However, in 153, a recovering Mong Kima and a fast-frowing Kimaeslo Ori saw the independent city as an easy target to pursue their expension.

In fall 153, in the bridgetown of Kimaeslo Ori, the pieces finally came together, and the plan to vassalize the independent town was coming to motion.

•The Plan

In fall 153, Kimaeslo Ori had a powerful military, comparable – and maybe even more powerful – than Thomocemir's army. Besides it has ben, since it was re-colonized by the Thaguk Alnos, reasonably spared by war, leaving its forces fresh and available for exterior operations.

It was a rich merchant town, as it was meant to be since its very inception – it had the ressource in funds and manpower to field much, much greater ambitions than the comparatively smaller Thomocemir. Its ambition wasn't simply to protect the kingdom's seat of power from direct attacks – it was to establish itself as the nevralgic center of a great empire.

Now the nobility of Kimaeslo Ori was counting on the town, being of pearlite origin, to gladly take the opportunity to rejoin with the flock. The position of the Released Flowers, however, was the big unknown ; if they were to step down from power, then Edetledir would become Kimaeslo Ori's first vassal. If they would not – violence would be inevitable.

Toki, Haspen and their squad would travel to Edetledir and ask for its formal surrender. If it was accepted, they would occupy the castle start the rule of Kimaeslo Ori. If the offer was refused, their order were to engage and eliminate the defense forces of the Released Flowers.

In that scenario, Kimaeslo Ori would be the likely winner – they had more weapon masters on their side, and their armement was superior... but it was the worst possible scenario.

The Released Flowers had at least two weapons masters on their side : Fath « Thirst for riches » was a hammer master armed with a gigantic silver maul, and a less known elven bandit by the name of Nino was famous for never missing a shot.

Lucmen, their head lady, had lead the group during a number of defensive battles and was an experienced strategist. Hopefully, the battle coiuld be avoided.

•Advance

26 september 153, Toki's squad arrived in Edetledir. They walked unrestricted through the external walls of the town and crossed large empty streets. It was a stressful moment – Toki knew what kind of enemy he would have to face – a small, dedicated and professional defense force. They would be unlikely to engage him frontally – but they would not have to. They could hide in any house, or simply retreat in the castle to earn more time.

A couple of shadows fled from the inn and rushed to the castle. The Released Flowers were rarely fightiong alone, often relying on the services of contracted mercenaries to bolster their ranks.

« They are not expecting us » remarked Haspen. « Whatever decision they make, they will make in a hurry »

Toki agreed on the observation and the squad pressed on to the castle.

The squad met the Released Flowers near the gates of the castle.

Fath « Thirst for riches », Lucmen and Jal « Mythic messenger of hell », the bandit ladies of Edetledir. Their stories and adventures alongside Luki are closely tied to the early history of Mong Kima

« We come to take control of the city » announced Toki. « Surrender or draw – in either case, we'll be in charge of the city before the day is through ».

The Released Flower seemed to hesitate for a second. Lucmen look at her lieutnants, then made an appeasing gesture.

« My people were eager to join the kingdom and are glad to depose their weapons » she responded. « Should you garantee their lives. »

Toki agreed. They would not kill more than they had to.

« But you need my head, now don't you ? » she asked in a worried voice. That was the case – the leader of a defeated city does not get to live. It was the curse of the crown : should it fall, it often takes along the head it is seated on.

« It's the price of surrender. » Toki remarked. « Knowing that, do you surrender or should we go through all of you ? »

A long silence followed. Lucmen evaluated her chances. Not a snowball chance in hell – maybe they could take a few pearlites with them, should they resist but victory was out of the question. Death for death, she decided to at least spare her friends.

She formally surrendered and was thrown in a hollow grave soon after.

A first step has been made.

Are, daughter of Asin, and friends

The departure of Toki, Haspen and their seven squadmates did crate a void in town that did not took a long time to fill up. As soon as they left, a little group of villagers arrived in Kimaeslo Ori to settle.

It was a small group of six villagers, mostly coming from Thomocemir – among those travellers however was a young girl that Uzu recognized immediately : it was his little sister.

« Is she really your sister ? » asked Sothro, looking at the girl from a distance. « She doesn't look like you at all ! »

Are – that was the girl's name, had her mother's hair. Altho she didn't know her mother for a long time, as the poor woman died three years after her birth – devoured by an alligator. Thomocemir was and remained a wild place that was never fully tamed.

« I'm actually surprized you never met her » Uzu said. « Especially considering how closes our families are. »

Back in Thomocemir, Ryukan and Asin are close friends, being respectively the lord and the bookkeeper of the border fort.

Ryukan and Asin however had a very protective parenting style – wise choice, all things considered, in the jungle hellhole that was early Thomocemir, and their kids were raised separately, and as much as possible kept away from danger.

Uzu especially suffered from that education the most, and grew up wanting to bring glory onto his family – perhaps because he thought his family did not shoulder his burden of heroic deeds, perhaps to prove  to himself that he was capable of heroic deeds after all, most probably both.

« Regardless » Uzu continued. « Our families will not help us in Kimaeslo Ori, and I will not have the time to look over my sister. »

Sothro nodded, looking in the distance, waiting for Uzu's lecture to end.

« And you are the only pearlite her age around. Princeling Sothro, can I entrust her security to you ? »

The kid lift an eyebrow and look at Uzu, before taking his attention on the young girl.

« Sure » he answered. « Whatever you ask »

That should not be a mission out of his abilities, and he was eager to please his senior.

If he understood it was a trick to get the two teenagers together, he let none of it show.

Disaster at the public bath

This fall, it was decided that the next public building to be made on the bridge should be a public bath. That initiative would complement the trash compactor built in summer to promote public hygiene.

The blueprint seemed quite simple on paper : a small water-fillable basin with a mechanism to safely evacuate tainted waters onto the sea, and a well nearby to re-fill the baths after cleanup.

In reality, it was harder than expected.

The evacuation mechanism was composed of horizontal metal bars next to a mechanism operated bridge. At the pull of a lever, a bridge would contract or retract, covering or uncovering the evacuation. The evacutaions were, at all time, covered by metal bars preventing late bathers from being thrown in the drain.

However, the architect did not consider that using metal bars instead of stone would weaken the structural integrity of the construction.  Using too much drain created too much strain – so to say.

The 10 of november 153, the structure partially collapsed and the workers were thrown into the sea where they drowned.

The name of the lost workers were : Ethep Reloth and Ketas. Istro, Reloth pet rabbit, also died during the incident.

Ah, how can an oversight so minor cause multiple lifetimes of grief.

The plans were quickly reviewed and hopefully will not cause anymore deaths.

First use of the trash compactor

A note should also be made that Fall 153 was the first successful use of the trash compactor. A heap of damaged and unusable clothes were gathered during the season and thrown into the gigantic machine. It tumbled down and fell to the ground level, where its destruction could commence.

This is extremely satisfying.

The lever was pulled, the gears compressed the trash in an instant. Fantastic success, for once ! There was still a lot of work to be done, in order to completely clean up the streets, but now, we had a straight path forward !

Uzu's love life

Now, Uzu is a character whose history is extremely dear to me, having been, at 12 years old, the companion of my character – and bringing happiness to this character is one of my personal goals. But a review of his personality reveals a young man who is extremely shy, introverted and nervous. Socializing is very difficult to him, let alone starting a relationship – luckily for him we do not mind helping him a little.

The town scoured the list of possible suitors and one name was mentionned multiple time – Shebi, a herbalist. She arrived on the bridgetown last season, and was like him an absolute nervous mess. Really, hooking them up together would be a service made to both of them.

Unless something happens, a marriage is therefore to be planned between those two.

Not wanting to rush things however, Lady Desli ordered Uzu's sword squad to go back to their civilian duties – as they were now swordmasters and would train on their own time, and personally ordered the young captain to learn a bit of herbalism.

Who knows when such a skill can be useful, after all ?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 11:19:01 am by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 28, 2022, 12:34:13 am »

I was expecting like, execution by burning, or the attack just resulting in one combat death, not uh. Not "buried alive."

Still, good to see how well everything's coming together.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1493 on: March 01, 2022, 09:14:08 am »

The good new is most people who are burried alive soon become burried dead, making it a self-correcting problem I suppose.
Still it leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but we can't leave a town as big as Edetledir unexploited.

Next step is re-investing the network of dwarven fortresses that have fallen to little Osmite warlords in the area between south Mong Kima and Osme. We will need bigger forges, and more weapon instructors, that's for sure.

And when our pieces are well secured (in a number of years) we'll take the fight to Osme proper.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: March 01, 2022, 09:45:47 am »

The good new is most people who are burried alive soon become burried dead, making it a self-correcting problem I suppose.
Still it leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but we can't leave a town as big as Edetledir unexploited.

Next step is re-investing the network of dwarven fortresses that have fallen to little Osmite warlords in the area between south Mong Kima and Osme. We will need bigger forges, and more weapon instructors, that's for sure.

And when our pieces are well secured (in a number of years) we'll take the fight to Osme proper.

That is gonna make for a hell of a show, that's for sure. Be it via diplomacy or feat of arms.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: March 04, 2022, 08:07:42 pm »

Fun times ahead!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1496 on: March 16, 2022, 06:29:00 am »

Winter 153

Strange ideas

It was a morning, early in winter. Kaos was working at the furnace in the cellar of his house, transforming wood into fuel. Since the farmer's hall have been upgraded, the demand for fuel had come back to normal – however, as conquest operations were expected to multiply and intensify in the future, he thought keeping a steady reserve would be a good idea. Outfitting soldiers in complete armor was extremely costly, and even with the development of commerce with neighbouring kingdoms, he was expecting a rise in the value of fuel very soon.

Being commissioned by the town to outfit the army, buth in weapons and armors, was a sure-shot way for him to get rich – as long as the city would not fall to Osmite forces, Kaos was on rail to become incredibly wealthy. Maybe – he thought – he would take apprentices later. He would need to establish a small guild, maybe, or allow other smith to use his materials.  He would have to give it some thought.

There was a knock. He heard it, a bit by chance. Leaving the wood consuming inside the furnace, he walked upstairs and opened the door. Lady Desli appeared in the opening.

« I would like to pass an order » she said in a shifty tone. « It might be a bit unusual, but only you can have it done. »

« Sure, what it is ? »

« Excuse me ? » Kaos stood dumbfounded. Why would she need a sacrophagus in her bedroom ? Why in dwarven iron ? Hadn't she enough with the wooden coffin she already commissioned to the carpenter ?

« Do you have any idea how much it will cost ? » he finally managed to articulate.

« Yes, I'm very aware – but disregard the cost. » Her tone would allow no discussion. « Have it done by the end of the year. »

Kaos fell on a workshop stool. He had a bit of dwarven iron left, sure, certainly not enough to make a sacrophagus. Maybe he could smelt more bars... ? But even tho, a whole sacrophagus ? Made in dwarven iron ?

The smith took the bar he had left in his hand, and tried to brainstorm ideas. There had to be a solution.

The king of blades

Lesno, the axe-wielding vagrant, have been seen roaming menacingly around the town, and the good people of Kimaeslo Ori were a bit startled. The man was known for his accesses of violence and overreactions, against cattle and against other vagrants. Seing him mingling with the population lifted more than a couple eyebrows.

Lesno was here when we arrived

Uzu was called – he was out drinking. As the hearthcaptain of Lady Desli, it was his job to promote good order in her population.
The young man had a hard time putting his authoritative face on – it was not something he was accustomed to. He took a deep breath, left the inn, crossed the street and went streight toward the fat man, trying awkwardly to socialize with the citizen.

« Now, Belrokjeha » he said, calling the vagrant by his heroic name – a mendatory politeness. « You know you can't be there. Follow me. »

Lesno did not oppose much resistance and just went along.

The two men walked toward the grazing hill, where Uzu left the vagabond.

« This is as close as you can come to the city. » the heartcaptain warned him. « You're not a citizen, and you have blood on your hands. »

Lesno nodded bovinely. He was indignant – but kept his indignation to himself. He didn't want to upset the young man, who was not only an authority, but also a sword master at this point.

A light warning, Uzu thought that was enough. Lesno have killed multiple people in his life, including a pearlite – he had to be watched over. If it would come to this, Uzu thought, he'd kill him by himself. But for now, nothing had happen, and overreacting was unwarranted.

His duty performed, Uzu went back on the streets of the town. In this early afternoon, it was very loud – the streets were filled with citizen going back and forth, the workshops  were all functionning, and the remaining idlers were occupying the tavern or were strolling in the village.

Among the everpresent chatter and town noise, Uzu recognized a voice calling his name. He turned – it was the smith, Kaos.

« Hearthcaptain Uzu ! » he called. « I need your arms to perform a blade-testing. »

Uzu looked a bit annoyed. He was a nobleman, after all – a small, regional nobleman, but still – there were more people to conscript into blade-testing. Was him to run the townmen's errands all day ?

« It is not any old blade » Kaos precised. « I really need a blademaster to give a proper cut. »

The sworn man threw his hand in the air and eventually agreed. He'd do that test, then go back to the tavern and drink.

Kaos picked the blade from its workshop. It was still missing a gard and a proper handle, but the tang was large enough to be used in lieu of it. They walked to the butchershop, not far from the barracks, and the smith paid the butcher for a carcass. The carcass was not prepared yet – it had been slaughtered this very morning.

« Trust me, this blade needs a master for its test. » insisted Kaos while handing it to Uzu. « I want it to be tested with proper edge-alignment. »

The knight seized the tang with two hands so it would not slip during the strikes due to the lack of a guard, faced the carcass hanging on a metal hook, then stroke it three times in quick succession.

Various pieces of meat fell on the ground, perfectly cut. The blade have been through it all, meat, inners, tendons and bones. Uzu barely felt any resistance. He stood there for a moment, in disbelief. He knew that Kaos was an excellent smith, he knew that dwarven iron made excellent blades, but this was something even beyond. He went to clean the blade after his cut – there was no blood on it.

He therefore just handed it back to Kaos. An amazing blade, he said – the best he had ever seen.

« I'll keep working on it for a while » Kaos asserted, not without satisfaction. « I'll have it at the disposition of the swornmen when it's completely done. »

At this point, he totally had forgot the sarcophagus he was commissionned.

Reconaissance

The month of december came, then january. The brass of the military decided it was the time to seek new targets and keep expending Kimaeslo Ori's sphere of influence. Edetledir was now firmly under the control of Toki, Haspen and their squad.

The fallen dwarven hold of Vucartogum was to be their second target. Vucartogum was originally a fortress belonging to the dwarven kingdom of Lεlrigoth, but fell to Osmite forces in summer 141. Since then, the town has been silent.  Various expeditions conducted by Mong Kima revealed that independent goblins were now occupying the place

Islas and Erith explored Vucarogum, back in 142

It was therefore decided that Vucartogum would make a good stepstone toward regional dominance if it could be invested. Ipan and Om were constituting a two-men squad of highly trained spearmen geared with medium armor – it was decided that they would go and explore the ruins to facilitate a future expedition.

Snow started to fall shortly before they left, and the interior sea froze completely – it was like this a bit under two months of the year.

And so they went, leaving a couple days. The population of Kimaeslo Ori prayed to Edri that they would be unharmed, and the time they left was a bit tense for their nerves. The two soldiers, however, came back a couple days later.

« It's non-inhabitable » Ipan said to Totten for his report. « We can't send an expedition there – everything is in ruins, and there's no food. We'd just starve to death. »

The idea of capturing Vucartogum was abandonned and new targets would have to be found. During their travels however, the men have stumbled upon two small semi-abandonned villages that were destroyed by the dragon Akera – the village of Thranorspa and Lapipgulgud. There might be some population in those village still, but none waving any kingdom flag anyway – they would make a good target for the next expeditions.

Princeling Sothro still training to become a swordmaster

More complications in the public baths

Because the interior sea was completely frozen, a couple citizen took the very bad habit of crossing it by foot instead of taking a detour to walk on the bridge. Dotep was one of them – after a couple successful crossings to transport wood logs from the forest in the other side of the sea, the ice finally gave in and the old criple man was swallowed whole by the sea. As he didn't know how to swim and couldn't even if he knew, due to his damaged arm, he sank and did not reapear.

Rip Dotep

The construction of the public bath kept running into problems–  another construction mishap and Tista, a 27 years old stoneworker working on the basin, fell through the ground directly into the sea. She had no survival chance at all.

Not only that, but the realization that even salt water would freeze in winter made the whole idea of public bath impracticable – it would just kill people during winter.

Various solutions were brainstormed. Maybe a system of bridges could allow or disallow people in the bath, or maybe, by emptying the basin every december. Another solution would be to empty and refill the basin, every december and march respectively, but that would be extremely work intensive. A system of pumps could solve that problem, but would introduce a lot of hasards.

Another alternative would consist of making wells inside the basin and place statues and soap piles alongside them. While that would not make a public bath per-say, the building would essencially fill up the same function.

Thoughts welcome.

Since I have a lot of stats now, I will provide a graph of the town's finances every season starting from now.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 06:30:53 am by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 16, 2022, 06:51:29 am »

Masterwork steel long sword. Nice.

Shame about the bath house plans and the drowning deaths too. Always a little irritating when units willfully do stupid things because of brain dead pathfinding around certain hazards.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1498 on: March 16, 2022, 08:37:13 am »

Yeah, pathfinding needs a bit of help. I thought burrows would be enough, that ain't the case. But luckily I discovered restricted areas that seem to be made to solve that specific issue, so we should not have anymore drowning due to ice melting. I hope.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 16, 2022, 05:13:36 pm »

I wonder if Kaos should do some militia training and claim the long sword for himself . . . . . after making a toy sarcophagus for her ladyship.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 111