Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239420 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1245 on: January 05, 2020, 01:08:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The raids

Back in the days, Bugikawe was a prosperous trading city, making use of its extensive lakewide navy to transport good northward and southward, notabily shortening and securing the commerce between the dwarven kingdoms of Kodsakzul and Lalrigoth aswell as the other small local human kingdoms. Back before it was sacked by the expending empire of Ansgekstozu, Bugikawe stood as a shining exemple of what the cooperation between people of different races and origin could achieve.

It was however not to last, as it soon became the target of Ansgekstozu and finally ransacked in year 130. Left without a standing army nor any legitimate government, Bugikawe is now functionally a free city like Edetledir, relying on a class of mercenaries and adventurers to protect itself against elven incursions.

Pevit was a man of Egapesor upbringing, born in Bugikawe in year 71, years before the fall of the city, as the second child out of a siblinghood of seven. As both of his parents were professional fighters, the little Pevit was seemingly destined to follow in his parents footsteps and become a maceman to the service of the city of Bugikawe. It was however not to happen – as in year 79, he was captured by a snatcher of Osme and brought back to the dungeon of Bosangasma.

Pevit was however a smart and adaptable kid, as Egapesor kids often are. He was taught the trade of dyer by his new goblin masters and soon learnt the ways of his new environment. He met and fell in love with another Egapesor abductee of the name of Usmen – a danser and swordswoman - and both of them married in year 107. In year 108, their first daughter was born.

The girl was given an Osmite name, Strodno. Her mother taught her how to fight and how to dance, and the young girl was extremely receptive. She soon met a gnoll by the name of Alatha who having just finished his own apprenticeship, proposed to teach her further. Strodno accepted, and master and apprentice moved to the recently founded pits of Azstrogstam in year 125.

In year 130 however, as she was travelling outside of the pits, she met face to face with a group of pearlite adventurers and was slain. That group turned out to be the second reserve squad of Tetzobsha, performing reconnaissance for the city of Edetledir.

When the new arrived to Pevit, the man was struck by grief. However with two other living children and local politics in Bosangasma, Pevit decided to bide his time. No less than seventeen years passed. Now his wife had passed away and their two other children became poets and bards and left  home. Pevit was an old man with ressources and time at hand – for him, it was now time to settle scores.

He knew for a couple years that the ex leader of the second reserve squad, Luki Usupim, elected residence in the recently founded village of Kimaeslo Ori. He sent his own recon team, studied maps and gathered his retinue. When he attacked in the fourth of June, he was completely ready and left nothing to luck.

They arrived soon after midnight – their original plan was probably to force a bridge battle, but as they were spotted soon enough, Hauben managed to organize an emergency defense force and cross the bridge to fight on stable ground.

Before Luki's squad was less heavily armored and mostly awake at the time of the day, they crossed the bridge first and secured a foothold, waiting for the main forces. However, this was playing right in Pevit's hand, as his forces quickly encircled the detached squad.

Soon, Luki was separated from her team and left to fend off for herself against four opponents.

An arrow to the arm made her unable to defend herself. A goblin armed with a silver chained whip approached her, and a second after, it was done. Luki, the hero of 130, the dragon slayer, the captain of the second reserve of Tetzobsha, would wander the forests of Minbazkar no longer.

Of course the wind changed once Hauben crossed the bridge. The goblins were driven off, and Pevit was slain. No doubt the old man knew he wasn't to come back from his foolish attack – he came to bring Luki to hell with him and in that, he had succeed.

Even tho it was a victory, the death of the hero of the kingdom starts to weight its mass on the already wavering morale in Kimaeslo Ori. The future looks very bleak.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 05, 2020, 01:16:13 pm »

No, not Luki D:

...who was she again? owo
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1247 on: January 05, 2020, 01:31:43 pm »

lol
Luki was an adventurer that I made some...2.5 years ago ? It was year 130 in game. In her life she was used mostly to explore and map out the continent, slaying some semi megabeasts, fighting off bandits. She also murdered an elven prince, setting in motions a machine that will lead to the war between Pilalene and Mong Kima, and the destruction of the western fort of Tetzobsha

Old character that may only have relevance for me tho.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:34:15 pm by Cathar »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 05, 2020, 01:34:21 pm »

Oh wow I remember that one now.

Geez, is the thread that old?
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1249 on: January 05, 2020, 01:37:13 pm »

I started that thread in April 2017, and Luki had already her story played at this point, so yeah, the world of Minbazkar has quite the staying power lol. Survived three versions changes since it was gen'd, hope it'll survive a fourth

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: January 05, 2020, 01:52:55 pm »

The art style is getting better and better!
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 06, 2020, 04:38:11 pm »

Had it been your intention to let Luki get old and "retire" soon, one way or another?  If so, then I'm glad you managed to complete the story.

If not . . . nooooo, not the persistent character!

Otherwise, I'm still fine with how much time it takes you to get things ready to your standards.  I've waited longer for webcomics, you know.

And otherwise-otherwise:

She soon met a gnoll by the name of Alatha

Gnoll?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 06, 2020, 05:19:50 pm »

Maybe "gnoll" just means "hyena man" in this case? Would fit in with Cathar's fondness for flavouring vanilla DF elements in ways that make them seem more cohesive and interesting.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 07, 2020, 04:15:06 am »

Farewell, Luki  :'(

It was a long way for her to go and I’d say she finished it as well as she lived!
Loved the story of revenge you had weaved here, does make situation more dramatic for both sides of conflict.

And it confirms once again, enemy archers are a pain to deal with.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: January 07, 2020, 04:47:02 pm »

Only just realized a new update had been posted - well done my man.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 07, 2020, 05:04:27 pm »

Nah, she was simply unluki.
SigFlags!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 07, 2020, 05:37:06 pm »

That has to be the worst pun I've heard in months.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1257 on: January 08, 2020, 07:33:19 am »

pffffffft

The art style is getting better and better!
Only just realized a new update had been posted - well done my man.
Thanks a lot, expect even more improvements in the next update. I've been working my style in Mount WuDang for a couple months

Had it been your intention to let Luki get old and "retire" soon, one way or another?  If so, then I'm glad you managed to complete the story.
I usually "go with the flow" and so do most of my characters. Luki's life mission has been completed to her eyes. I mean she did slay a dragon, you can't really top that ; and she had no interest in power nor in politics. At this point in her life, she had zero ambition left and would spend her time strolling in the forests around the interior sea. 47 years old is a bit young to die, but her life was filled, she's a part of history and she could pass on her weapon science to people, so she'll live on like that

Maybe "gnoll" just means "hyena man" in this case? Would fit in with Cathar's fondness for flavouring vanilla DF elements in ways that make them seem more cohesive and interesting.
Yes, exactly. That's precisely what I'm doing.
Except it's a dingo man...but yeah functionally it's a gnoll. He's still alive by the way. Meeting him is in the specter of possibilities

Farewell, Luki  :'(

It was a long way for her to go and I’d say she finished it as well as she lived!
Loved the story of revenge you had weaved here, does make situation more dramatic for both sides of conflict.

After so much time passed in this world I just can't see things in terms of "good" and "evil"... It's hard for me to kill even an enemy officer because you soon see where they are come from, and most of the time they have good sides to them.
And yeah archers and bridges are a recipy for absolute catastrophe. I need to widen that bridge asap

Lots of things happened in the summer, and I'll need input for an important decision to take about an issue concerning a dorfed character. Also, without spoiler, summer 147 brings closure to another old story

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 12, 2020, 11:05:48 pm »

I hoped the village would be spared from raids/war. : (
But i guess 'it was inevitable.'

Whoa, i think you mentioned Luki a few times before, didn't know about the whole dragon slaying thing. (-or probably forgot).
I think i need to draw some Luki-fanart next time.

...speaking of, i drew this in october last year (around the time after Hasbun died) , wanted to share this earlier but kind of forgot about this.
-Sorry!

The 7 founders- minus Hasbun. (R.I.P.)
-Yes, i know. Hauben ended up looking like an early DBZ villain.
Also sorry about the Street Fighter reference. >__>°
-----------------

Was Luki the only one who died during the fight?
How is the rest of the village holding up?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:53:51 am by HakuryuVision »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 13, 2020, 01:08:37 am »

-Yes, i know. Hauben ended up looking like an early DBZ villain.
Also sorry about the Street Fighter reference. >__>°

I don't understand how's this a problem, especially that the art is awesome :P
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 111