Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239403 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #420 on: October 31, 2017, 10:45:09 pm »

“Well, I mean…..” Zothoabo paused, collected himself then replied, “Look, I never got to have fun as a kid. We have always been at war, and even though I have to work to keep our people alive, maybe she can live a carefree life, and feel truly happy.”

“I think we both know that’s not possible, not in this world.”

I think you perfectly encapsuled one of the many contradictions of people from Mong Kima. I love your writings as per usual :D
Maybe, one day, children can play freely without fearing to be attacked by hordes of monsters driven by evil, predators and werebeasts

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 01, 2017, 01:00:11 am »

All of this metal is making the fights look so bad ass!
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 01, 2017, 07:02:12 am »

OMT, I can not believe that I missed this thread. :o It should totally be in the hall of legends.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 02, 2017, 11:43:36 am »

((After a long hiatus I am back? Did I get murked? I would like an update on Zefer if you could))
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #424 on: November 02, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »

Thanks a lot guys ^^' I love painting metal a great deal. AS for hall of legends...I'm afraid we haven't done anything really worth of notice. We're just a small fort in the swamp after all! And asking for my stupidity to make it to the HoL would seem pretty pretentious on my part. If you guys like what I do, that's enough for me

As for Zefer : after this BIG battle against goblin cavalry where he participated, the bow squad was reformed into a training squad. Zefer has been retrained into a swordsman and currently helps his new captain, Thratnu, to drill the new recruits. He is now 17 years old. He nows wears full armor and uses an iron sword. His little sister Ases joined the army recently.

That's pretty much for him...for now. Stuff will happen to him next update, which should be this week end !

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 02, 2017, 09:23:49 pm »

Diary of Zefer Scribefondled.
It's been a while since I last saw this book, a book detailing my military adventure. I now write this as a trained swordsman , possibly overlooking my dear sister's training in the ways of the blade. So long ago it seemed that the days I picked up the bow and arrow, my normal headscarf and gloves are now swapped with heavy peices of copper and a thick blade of iron. Those I help train, in my eyes, are already braver than most others...deciding to bring in a blade where one arrow in the right area could finish you off.
My captain calls for me diary, for now I bid farewell.
**There is a drawing of a young man dressed in cloth then beside him is an older brother figure in copper armour. They look like twins**
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 03, 2017, 07:59:38 am »

lETS NOT  INJURE THE GOBBOS ANYMORE THAN WE NEED TOO MOST ARE SLAVES TO DEMONS OR OTHER gobbos afterall.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 03, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »

Woof, sorry I haven't been writing. I've been busy with personal projects. I'm keeping an eye on the thread. Just not quite up to writing for it. I still want status updates on Ases when stuff happens. More renders are probably likelier than stories at the moment, since I'm pretty much expanding my training on those things by learning Blender.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 04, 2017, 07:41:54 pm »

lETS NOT  INJURE THE GOBBOS ANYMORE THAN WE NEED TOO MOST ARE SLAVES TO DEMONS OR OTHER gobbos afterall.

Eh they threw their lot in with the wrong crowd.

Sending an adventure to sneak into the Dark Fortress and assassinate the clown controlling it might be... interesting... however.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #429 on: November 04, 2017, 09:34:23 pm »

We're craving for peace. They can send a diplomat and we'll talk it out. Hell they can just stop attacking us and we won't have to make small mountains of their corpses twice a year.
Watershield was made to protect Mong Kima from the elves of Wulemaapasi...We had absolutely no business with goblins until they declared war on us. And since they are mutilating our kids, frankly I have zero sympathy for them :D

Besides, it's not like we have the upper hand in any capacity in this war. For each Pearlite, there is at least five goblins of Osme Stobűb, and besides Watershield, the kingdom has no defense against them. If we stop fighting them off now, we'll be conquered in a year time. We're not in a position to show any mercy.

Eh they threw their lot in with the wrong crowd.

Sending an adventure to sneak into the Dark Fortress and assassinate the clown controlling it might be... interesting... however.

Oh, that, they surely did. There is one fort, a bit more than  100 souls, that both hate war and are invincible at it. Why would they come at us, I don't know, but at this point they reap what they sow.
For the adventurer...yes. Definitely. In the long term, we'll get back at them. But for now our mission of shielding the kingdom is more important. Among other things, I'd like to free the notern dwarves from that forgotten beast, Cim, too. An adventurer would have a lot of glorious opportunities that's for sure.

Earlier that day...

The interrogation of prisonners bear some fruits. Now we know what business they have with us. They are following the orders of their emperor, Lomoth Ghostdust, a gigantic lizard man they revere as a god. Lomoth is in a sort of fratricidal war with his...sister? Tarem Phantomdeath, who rules over the north. Their struggle started ten years ago, and the troops of Lomoth are slowly but surely gaining ground.

Tarem can, at this point, count on a handful of followers, no more than five hundreds, while Lomoth sports the biggest army of the continent. How will this unfold, we don't know, but we'll follow this development very, very closely.
Music

I don't know how many I killed. What amazes me is I'm still alive after all that. The goblin troop starts to fall back a little, and tries to reorganize near the pond. Looks like I'm not done yet. One of their slave dwarve shoots an arrow at me, and hits me on the shoulder. My arm stops responding and I can't pick up my shield, but I'm not letting them go away.

I prepare to charge - but at this very moment, Imic and the rest of the army comes and slams into them.

This is a massacre. Survivors flee in terror. Once again, the day is ours. We had two losses, which is more than we can afford, but we're still victorious.

Talking about survivors, one of their trolls got separated from the battle, and as we were away, we couldnt prevent him to crash into the knight's barracks.

He's alone, and busy smashing our furnitures. Trathnu and Zefer are mobilized to end him rightly.

"Should I come too?
-"No, just stay in the keep and protect the civilians."

During the fight, Zefer receives a slam on his shield that send him flying through the window. But he picked himself up with only minor bruises, as Trathnu killed the beast with relative ease.

The siege was over. This was...extremely exhausting. Zothoabo told me my wound wasn't very deep, and I could heal but I needed some rest. Wasn't in any position to argue. I spent the rest of the day trying to get some sleep.

But our hardships weren't over yet. In the evening, one of our prisonners, Ino knows how, managed to free himself from his cage and, armed with a crossbow, start wrecking havoc in the village.

Haspen took a bolt in the abdomen. Superficial wound, no hemoragy.

As the goblin reloaded his weapon however, a capybara jumped out of his pasture and bited him in the throat, bringing him down on the ground, and latching on firmly until the escapee stop trying to scream. For that...unusual bravery from our favourite rodents, this one received the name of "Steddama".

(Editor note : Steddama litterally means "Apextouched", but I'm at loss to how to translate it without losing its meaning.)

After this whole incident, we too the decision of getting rid of part of the moot. We're losing more men to it than our enemies, and at this point, a all out charge solved most of our tactical issues. A big collective effort was also undertaken to get rid of all the corpses.
Now Spring 139 is on his way, and we have a lot of work to do.

This year, we're starting to try and pierce the aquifer.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:43:58 pm by Cathar »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 04, 2017, 09:53:54 pm »

Yay, violence?  I also look forward to seeing adventurer fun someday.  Also, glad your shoulder is not permanently skewered.

Hey, is that a layering problem in the first panel?  I think the two humans are in the wrong layer relative to each other.

(Editor note : Steddama litterally means "Apextouched", but I'm at loss to how to translate it without losing its meaning.)

"Ascended to the highest"--"ascension"--"ascended" . . . "struck the sky"--"sky-striker" . . . "zenith" . . . "paragon"?  Just associating words here.

("The Capybara That Achieved Complete Personal Fulfillment?"  Okay, I'm not helping.)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #431 on: November 04, 2017, 09:57:42 pm »

Strike-The-Sky is a perfect name for the heroic capybara ! This one is definitely not ending up in mittens ! Thanks !

Also, Dengusa is almost an adult now. As soon as he is, after one year or two of military drilling, he'll join Ari Taskmo at scavenging the battlefields !

For the layering problem, I don't think so.. They are drawn on the same layer. Welp

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 04, 2017, 10:09:09 pm »

Do demons actually wear clothes in-game, or was that just an artistic choice on your part? I've never really gotten the chance to inspect one's inventory. I guess it makes sense that demon leaders would though, can't exactly expect an entire civilization to take you seriously naked. :P

Either way the artwork looks amazing as always.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #433 on: November 04, 2017, 10:11:25 pm »

Well, I know from Kruggsmash demon kings wear clothes. Even when they are not human shaped... But yes that's a bit of an...editorial choice?  Thanks a lot for the compliment !

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 04, 2017, 10:14:16 pm »

Ases Skindive crossed the bridge with her comrades, looking out over the goblins. Others tightened their grips on their swords, looking grim and gulping. Only one thought briefly flickered through her mind, "practice." She'd spent so long in the barracks play-fighting with her squad and hitting pells . . . she knew the others were readying for this, but to her this was yet another day of practice. Albeit, one with sharpened weapons. Ases charged forward with her sword drawn, keeping in line with the others so she could play off of them. One goblin took an ax through the leg, and she quickly disemboweled him before putting her sword between one of her squadmates and a goblin sword. She parried and thrust and kicked and shield bashed until her squad had breathing room. And then she heard the deep growl above her head. Ases looked up to see the biggest troll she'd ever laid eyes on. She didn't care. Without a word she raised her sword before her, and went into the fight with as clear a head as ever.

Ases wasn't alone. Others hacked and stabbed, and wore the great warrior out, yet his blows kept raining on them all. A troll-powered mace went for Ases' head, and she tilted her shield as she raised it to fend off the blow. The mace deflected off its wooden surface, but the blow staggered Ases. She would have to wait for the next chance to strike a blow. The fight raged on for a half an hour, before Ases got a clear shot under the beast's arm. Without a second's hesitation, Ases plunged in, driving her sword through layers of fat and muscle, piercing the heart of the great beast. With a death defying roar, the troll threw Ases aside. She landed hard and had to catch her breath, but the mix of blood loss and a torn heart sent the troll to his knees, before he finally keeled over, dead.

Ases' squadmates threw a glance her way, before charging in to continue the fight. Ases only took a moment more to recover, before heading back into the fray. This day was not over yet.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 111