Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359629 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2925 on: October 04, 2020, 10:42:05 am »

1. He was apparently jovial and caring, very friendly with all living things and quite hard to anger. When you try to find how he died, you don't find anything; according to records he vanished into the depths of the earth at some point and hadn't been seen since.
What kind of offering could we bring him? What did he like/enjoy most, or how did people honor him?

4. The Flux apparently flooded out of the ground one day without warning. There seems to be very little information about how or why it happened; it seems to have just been a cataclysmic event. It apparently happened before the invasion from the east however.
Does it seem possible this was related to the death of Kal-Dune? Or do the timelines not match up for that?

3. Magic can be used in the black flux but its much harder and will not last for long. The Flux will ground out or deplete the magic rapidly, but through sheer amounts of mana its possible to overcome the effect.
Does the flux need to be touching you for the effect to take hold, or will it happen even when just being near it? And can it pull mana from a mage's body?

What equipment do people tend to use to scavenge from the flux? Do they just fish from boats or do they have something like a diving suit to go down and search in person?

EDIT: and help Ecalir with his book reading if I can this turn.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:23:30 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: October 04, 2020, 12:20:24 pm »

Instead of using that forcewall, use a Slow Zone.  Cast a Reverse-Permanent Rain Strengthen Reverse-Speed to produce a rainstorm of a slowing effect to debuff the oncoming stream of bugmen.  The random nature of the slowing effect might even cause some damage from various parts being slowed an irregular amount.

Retrieve the altar and the offerings from the mothmobile, and give it orders to stand a good distance off after leaving.  Take the items back to the palace, and dive inside the entryway, having the suit put up a forcewall behind me.  Fight anything that gets in my way inside.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: October 05, 2020, 10:35:01 am »

- Look through the books on the off-chance they contain any magic words for a flesh-scroll like myself

- Check out what's inside those 3-4 books that might prove useful in the future. What are they about? Probably best to let Darwin do this, because Eclair is not a smart birb

- Then start copying the books: start with the 3-4 that might prove useful in the future, then do the 10-20 best/most informative/rarest ones. Only copy the contents though, keep all the superficial stuff to a minimum. That should keep it to to a d6 END spell.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: October 05, 2020, 06:58:18 pm »

Alright, let's go back home.
Copy [Animate] onto my skin.

See if I can sell the preserved skin and pot off to someone. Preferably an archivist or someone who would use it for good. Don't care as much how much money I get from it.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2929 on: October 06, 2020, 11:30:20 am »

Alright, let's go back home.
Copy [Animate] onto my skin.

See if I can sell the preserved skin and pot off to someone. Preferably an archivist or someone who would use it for good. Don't care as much how much money I get from it.

Done
Done
And if you don't care about being paid, lets say you donated it to the archives in the academy! Its a good cause, I suppose.

1. He was apparently jovial and caring, very friendly with all living things and quite hard to anger. When you try to find how he died, you don't find anything; according to records he vanished into the depths of the earth at some point and hadn't been seen since.
What kind of offering could we bring him? What did he like/enjoy most, or how did people honor him?

4. The Flux apparently flooded out of the ground one day without warning. There seems to be very little information about how or why it happened; it seems to have just been a cataclysmic event. It apparently happened before the invasion from the east however.
Does it seem possible this was related to the death of Kal-Dune? Or do the timelines not match up for that?

3. Magic can be used in the black flux but its much harder and will not last for long. The Flux will ground out or deplete the magic rapidly, but through sheer amounts of mana its possible to overcome the effect.
Does the flux need to be touching you for the effect to take hold, or will it happen even when just being near it? And can it pull mana from a mage's body?

What equipment do people tend to use to scavenge from the flux? Do they just fish from boats or do they have something like a diving suit to go down and search in person?

EDIT: and help Ecalir with his book reading if I can this turn.

1. Apparently anything given with a heartfelt desire was good enough, though he apparently liked good food.

2. Hard to say. He disappeared before it happened, judging by what you can find, so its entirely possible he simply died sometime after and it resulted in the flux flooding the divide.

3.It has to be in physical contact with either you or the magic. So if you're in a dive suit it won't ground out your magic, but if you try to create a spell, once it leaves the suit it will start to dissipate. I doesn't pull mana from your body, but it can weaken or end enchantments cast on you or items.

4.Depends on the people. Some use magnets on lines, others use large metal nets and trawl, and some use probes (read: Big sticks) to jab around and see if they feel anything.  Diving suits are generally not employed for anything but direct salvage of a known object because...well... you can't see down there. Its like trying to dive in a tar pit: doesn't matter how many lights you strap to the suit, its still just opaque black fluid.

- Look through the books on the off-chance they contain any magic words for a flesh-scroll like myself

- Check out what's inside those 3-4 books that might prove useful in the future. What are they about? Probably best to let Darwin do this, because Eclair is not a smart birb

- Then start copying the books: start with the 3-4 that might prove useful in the future, then do the 10-20 best/most informative/rarest ones. Only copy the contents though, keep all the superficial stuff to a minimum. That should keep it to to a d6 END spell.

1. You find the word/symbol for "FISH".  Huh.

2. They contain information about the Mechanist war and the Mechanists in general, Information about the other "Natures" of magic, ie the systems that those taught by gods other than Tel-cal learned, and a large translation dictionary of various languages.

3.You get them all copied, 35 mana.

Instead of using that forcewall, use a Slow Zone.  Cast a Reverse-Permanent Rain Strengthen Reverse-Speed to produce a rainstorm of a slowing effect to debuff the oncoming stream of bugmen.  The random nature of the slowing effect might even cause some damage from various parts being slowed an irregular amount.

Retrieve the altar and the offerings from the mothmobile, and give it orders to stand a good distance off after leaving.  Take the items back to the palace, and dive inside the entryway, having the suit put up a forcewall behind me.  Fight anything that gets in my way inside.

[-6 mana]

You cast a giant hemispherically shaped cloud and which begins to rain droplets of light purple fluid horizontally onto the approaching robot bugs. You glance over at them just long enough to make sure they're actually being slowed and then get to work.

You get the altar and offerings from the moth mobile and tell it to move away. You carry them back to the entrance to the temple and put up a force wall across it as you enter. There are more bots in here, but you smack them away with out much effort. The Inner building is, from what you can tell looking around quickly, a series of concentric circles all moving in towards the center. Each circle is higher than the one before, lined with pillars that reach to the ceiling. The pillars and floors are covered in art: carvings and mosaics and paintings depicting all sorts of things. Gold rings and embellishments are all over, and the inner ceiling looks like its entirely one huge mural of gold on copper.  You don't have much time to admire it though.

At the center of the concentric circles is a single, highest platform which already has an altar upon it by the look of it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: October 06, 2020, 02:33:17 pm »

4.Depends on the people. Some use magnets on lines, others use large metal nets and trawl, and some use probes (read: Big sticks) to jab around and see if they feel anything.  Diving suits are generally not employed for anything but direct salvage of a known object because...well... you can't see down there. Its like trying to dive in a tar pit: doesn't matter how many lights you strap to the suit, its still just opaque black fluid.

Since I assume some of the animals in the black flux have been caught at some point in the past, what are they known to have in terms of sensory organs? Are there perhaps any that were caught recently?

Suppose I would use my radiation word to enchant our eyes to be able to see through the black flux. The spell would be temporary, lasting about a couple hours at most, and only target 1 person at once. It also does not need infinite range, as long as we can see something like 500m away that’d suffice. Would that work, or would we also need to enchant a light source? I'm guessing it'd run out quickly though due to the flux, though perhaps we can make a glass dome around the enchanted light source itself.

Wild idea: could we use the sunbroer staff to call up one of the flux denizens, like say a flux worm, then ride down inside of it?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:43:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: October 06, 2020, 02:39:24 pm »

From what we know about this flux sea, questions (let Darwin make the actual questions though, if they need to be asked IC):

- How deep does this flux sea go? Is it evenly deep all around?

- Are there perhaps tunnels or (horror, gasp) caves that seem like they might bring us to where we need to be? Or is diving straight down our only option here?

- How much for a suit for Darwin? And how much to have one made for Ecalir? Making sure it's very sturdy since I'm guessing we'll need to go pretty deep.

- Take a looksie at the book about "Information about the other "Natures" of magic". Have Darwin give me the rundown on what's in there.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:58:33 pm by Pancaek »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: October 07, 2020, 11:40:54 pm »

Summon Samsasra, goddess of the sky, with a ritual.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:46:37 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2933 on: October 09, 2020, 10:28:49 am »

Since I assume some of the animals in the black flux have been caught at some point in the past, what are they known to have in terms of sensory organs? Are there perhaps any that were caught recently?

Suppose I would use my radiation word to enchant our eyes to be able to see through the black flux. The spell would be temporary, lasting about a couple hours at most, and only target 1 person at once. It also does not need infinite range, as long as we can see something like 500m away that’d suffice. Would that work, or would we also need to enchant a light source? I'm guessing it'd run out quickly though due to the flux, though perhaps we can make a glass dome around the enchanted light source itself.

Wild idea: could we use the sunbroer staff to call up one of the flux denizens, like say a flux worm, then ride down inside of it?

1. They seem to have specialized organs unlike those in other creatures. Some still have eyes or more normal organs in addition to this as well.  Its not entirely known how they see, but its theorized they sense mostly via currents and movements in the flux.

2. Bear in mind all my formal education revolves around radiation and biology, so while I might let you do unrealistic things, my conception of what you intend to do is likely gonna be held back by my real world knowledge. What is it you are trying to do here? Just generic superman "X-ray" eyes? Or eyes that are passively x-ray sensitive to use natural background radiation as "light"?  I think x-ray sensing eyes plus some xray sources would let you basically see "silhouettes" of the world.

3. Thats possible. Your domain includes all animals (other than humans) so if you could find a worm or something like it, you could control it.

From what we know about this flux sea, questions (let Darwin make the actual questions though, if they need to be asked IC):

- How deep does this flux sea go? Is it evenly deep all around?

- Are there perhaps tunnels or (horror, gasp) caves that seem like they might bring us to where we need to be? Or is diving straight down our only option here?

- How much for a suit for Darwin? And how much to have one made for Ecalir? Making sure it's very sturdy since I'm guessing we'll need to go pretty deep.

- Take a looksie at the book about "Information about the other "Natures" of magic". Have Darwin give me the rundown on what's in there.

1. it doesn't appear to be. The information on its depth, scattered and inconsistent as it is, indicates that it is most shallow on the edges and gets deeper as it goes in. The places with buildings breaching the surface are shallow as well, indicating ridges or other elevated areas.

2. Unknown. There's no info on tunnels leading into or under the flux, but its not impossible you suppose.

3. Probably around 100 gold each.

4. Essentially, the word based magic that you and everyone else seems to use is only one nature of magic, that which was born from and taught by Tel-cal. The book says there are four natures of magic, each responding to one of the four primal gods and goddesses.  The magic of earth is apparently sound based-Not words but tones and melodies- and often requires the synchronization of several people. The magic of Water is based on movement and apparently cannot "summon" materials, only manipulate what is available. The magic of the sky is...apparently ritual based but it says that it is not commonly used, even by the citizens of the "upper lands" who prefer the mechanical incarnation of the Magic of fire. They all employ mana though, but to different degrees. Magic of the Water apparently barely uses any mana whatsoever while Magic of the sky uses a great deal all at once.

Summon Samsasra, goddess of the sky, with a ritual.

You climb quickly to the altar, place your offerings upon it, and invoke the old god's name. You wait in silence after doing so, not sure what to expect. And then you hear a cacophony of bells and chimes from outside, along with the sounds of rending metal and shattering glass. A beam of golden light pierces through the ceiling and turns a chunk of wall into gold where it impacts. Something is crawling up on top of the building. On what sounds like thousands of very sharp legs.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: October 10, 2020, 01:06:38 am »

Leave the building through the doors as quickly as possible, and join the battle.  Throw in with Samsasra, or whatever that arrived on her behalf.  Try to communicate, or judge if communication is possible.  Examine said creature.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:52:43 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: October 11, 2020, 11:55:17 am »

I’d like to search for the word ‘human’. I’d like to try the following avenues, try these in the city we are in and/or in nearby cities/villages
1. Go grave robbing and dissect some corpses. Be sure to do it in secret (so probably at night) and rebury them afterwards.
2. Go bribe the local doctor to let us have a go at whatever recently deceased patients they have before they bury/cremate them (be sure to sew them back up afterwards and hide my handiwork so people don’t get suspicious).
3. If they have the death penalty here, bribe the local executioner to let us have a death row inmate so that we can do them in. Be sure to do it as humanely as we can manage though (so put them under full anesthetic before the vivisection).
If none of these work, are there any bandit camps nearby where we could find a ‘volunteer’?

2. Bear in mind all my formal education revolves around radiation and biology, so while I might let you do unrealistic things, my conception of what you intend to do is likely gonna be held back by my real world knowledge. What is it you are trying to do here? Just generic superman "X-ray" eyes? Or eyes that are passively x-ray sensitive to use natural background radiation as "light"?  I think x-ray sensing eyes plus some xray sources would let you basically see "silhouettes" of the world.
Well, first of I'd like to remind you that you told me that the 'radiation' word can also work in the visible light spectrum:
16:16] Radio Controlled: And if you have time for another query, then could you perhaps tell me what you mean by that new word in cabal? 'deathly light (radiation)'. Does this refer to all sorts of radiation? Only ionizing radiation?
[16:30] Mr.Bones: Specifically EM spectrum. It defaults to gamma but you could theoretically just weaken or strengthen it to go anywhere on the spectrum.  You could also use it to do particle based radiation, if that's your thing, but that's not the "Base" form of it.

So could I for example not enchant a light source so that the light it sends out simply ignores black flux, but is normal otherwise (aka bounces off of creatures or stone or whatever)? Then I enchant our eyes or a visor to be able to pick up these waves (should that even be necessary).

Mind you, if you deem the x-ray idea more feasible then that's also fine by me. you decide how hard things are after all.

3. Thats possible. Your domain includes all animals (other than humans) so if you could find a worm or something like it, you could control it.
Ask around and look in our books about what kinds of creatures live in the flux. We know about flux worms, what others are there?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:35:22 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2936 on: October 13, 2020, 10:08:34 am »

I’d like to search for the word ‘human’. I’d like to try the following avenues, try these in the city we are in and/or in nearby cities/villages
1. Go grave robbing and dissect some corpses. Be sure to do it in secret (so probably at night) and rebury them afterwards.
2. Go bribe the local doctor to let us have a go at whatever recently deceased patients they have before they bury/cremate them (be sure to sew them back up afterwards and hide my handiwork so people don’t get suspicious).
3. If they have the death penalty here, bribe the local executioner to let us have a death row inmate so that we can do them in. Be sure to do it as humanely as we can manage though (so put them under full anesthetic before the vivisection).
If none of these work, are there any bandit camps nearby where we could find a ‘volunteer’?

Well, first of I'd like to remind you that you told me that the 'radiation' word can also work in the visible light spectrum:
16:16] Radio Controlled: And if you have time for another query, then could you perhaps tell me what you mean by that new word in cabal? 'deathly light (radiation)'. Does this refer to all sorts of radiation? Only ionizing radiation?
[16:30] Mr.Bones: Specifically EM spectrum. It defaults to gamma but you could theoretically just weaken or strengthen it to go anywhere on the spectrum.  You could also use it to do particle based radiation, if that's your thing, but that's not the "Base" form of it.

So could I for example not enchant a light source so that the light it sends out simply ignores black flux, but is normal otherwise (aka bounces off of creatures or stone or whatever)? Then I enchant our eyes or a visor to be able to pick up these waves (should that even be necessary).

Mind you, if you deem the x-ray idea more feasible then that's also fine by me. you decide how hard things are after all.

Ask around and look in our books about what kinds of creatures live in the flux. We know about flux worms, what others are there?

1. In order for this to have a chance of working, the corpses should be relatively fresh. You'd have to rob brand new graves, hopefully of people who were buried immediately. Its a possibility but a difficult one. We'll hold it for if other things don't work.
2.[3+5v3] Through some quick talking and 20 gold you gain access to a few fresh bodies. [You discover Bone, and Hair]
3. Through dealings with the local authorities you gain access to a recently killed criminal. Not executed, just murdered in a back alley fight. [you discover Skin]

You could use radiation to do visible light, yes. And you can make light that ignores the flux.  So you could make a lantern of flashlight that lets you see through it.

Finding hard information is difficult. There are some that are definitely known: the worms, Gulper eels, Sail fins that drift around in the shallows using huge fins as, well, sails, and several others. However a lot of the info you get is fisherman's tales and when you compare them to the scant records you can find, many supposed terrors of the deep do not appear. You narrow them down to things that might be able to help you:
Sail Fins might make a good substitute for a boat.
Worms are known to dive deeply, so using them to get down into the deeper parts might be doable
Flux Spiders: Giant crustaceans (?) that apparently live on the bottom. Might be good for sending out searching for things.
Squealers: Resemble nautiluses, though with spined shells and crab like legs in addition to tentacles. Apparently use echolocation or something like that to find their way around. Might be useful for mapping out large places.

Leave the building through the doors as quickly as possible, and join the battle.  Throw in with Samsasra, or whatever that arrived on her behalf.  Try to communicate, or judge if communication is possible.  Examine said creature.

You head back outside and find chaos. What heeded your call wasn't a goddness, but a swarm of [1+4v4] what you recognize as Angels. Their forms are varied: Centipedes, flatworms, Dragon flies, Diatoms, Blooming flowers, nested rings, Sea stars, and eels. But they all share a common makeup: gold, jewels, lapis lazuli, opals, mother of pearl, crystalline bismuth, and solidified light. They squirm and crawl and swim and hover through open space effortlessly, with none of the awkward hoping that the machines require. And they fall upon the machines ravenously, angerly, shredding them apart with diamond claws and pincers, smashing them into stone, or petrifying them to gold with bursts of what look like condensed sunlight. The one on top of the temple is a millipede, long enough to wrap itself around the top of the building several times. It looks like a gilded train, a solid mass of coiled interlocking plates, with who knows how many hundreds of sapphire legs rumbling across the stone.  8 pairs of golden wings hover a few feet off its back, their designs more like delicate curling waves than traditional wings.

You attempt to throw in with them, fighting along side them, but they will have none of it. They do not go out of their way to attack you, but if you move near them they strike at you as though you were one of the machines. They seem simply be trying to reclaim this territory and they don't particularly care from who; though they obviously hate the robots more than you. The battle progresses quickly and the angels clear the area around you and begin moving towards the hive, fighting as they go. They're quite strong but You don't know if they'll have the strength to actually assault that solid mass of angry metal in the distance.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: October 13, 2020, 11:56:55 am »

I don't think I'm strong enough to take out that hive, either.  Not by half.  Still, things are better off, and I'll try again later, more prepared.  There must be some way to talk to these angels.

Burn the remainder of my 22 mana on empowering the storms generating force birds, with several temporary Strengthen Expand Grow Speed spells.  (Cast until under 4 mana.) They are to attack the hive now that the palace has been cleared.

Use the rest of the time I'm megabuffed to collect large quantities of gold from stray shots.  Aim for an amount best measured in tons.  If available, see if I can find a fully-dead angel diamond claw.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:59:19 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: October 15, 2020, 03:18:44 pm »

1. In order for this to have a chance of working, the corpses should be relatively fresh. You'd have to rob brand new graves, hopefully of people who were buried immediately. Its a possibility but a difficult one. We'll hold it for if other things don't work.
2.[3+5v3] Through some quick talking and 20 gold you gain access to a few fresh bodies. [You discover Bone, and Hair]
3. Through dealings with the local authorities you gain access to a recently killed criminal. Not executed, just murdered in a back alley fight. [you discover Skin]

Blast, since we didn't find the word we were looking for or a good alternative, try the grave robbing option. If still nothing we'll just make do without dangit!

You could use radiation to do visible light, yes. And you can make light that ignores the flux.  So you could make a lantern of flashlight that lets you see through it.
Coolio. Make/buy a glass cover for one of our lanterns then so that the flux cannot directly touch the light source and drain the enchantment. Also, what is the difficulty for this spell, and what does it roll?

Oh, and how much for a box that can be locked watertight, so we can take some items with us without ruining them in the flux (like our book on languages)?

3. Probably around 100 gold each.
Buy one for each, try to haggle the price down (note: Ecalir still has some money on him as well in case Darwin falls short). Oh, and can we assume they come with the required life support, or should we look into that separately?

Oh, and is it still 30 gold for a pair of speaking stones? The ones that are basically small magical radios that use mana (use die I believe) to convey speech? Or do you think we could use snail mail while inside the diving suits?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:01:37 am by Radio Controlled »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: October 15, 2020, 06:19:25 pm »

Great, let's paint a lifesize firebird mount on a giant, foldable canvas. You know, just for fun.
And then after doing that for fun, enchant the bird-drawing to be animated out of its painting for half a day when the canvas is burned.

And then, eh, Let's make some cute little drawings and enchant them to do cute things on a loop, like a gif.

And pass me a mission, would you?

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 203