Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359888 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2655 on: June 20, 2020, 12:21:41 am »

Manor, 3000
Fancy bathhouse, 800.  Fancy, but should be able to save on decorations by using some of the unsold ones.
Underground vault, 500.  (steel walls, but I'll let Ekrov handle the magic lock and will be doing most of the custom security.  Also, thin steel walls, as can be magicked up to size.  Need several rooms, though.)
Full workshop, 500.
Stuff, 500.

Total cost, 5300.
-35 for a week of time. (paying two extant guards, paying 2gold/day.  Will start giving them 3 gold/day if they're up for supervising the other guards.)

For simplicities sake is 100/week reasonable for the staff?  A few cleaners, a groundskeeper, a few guards, a cook, etc.

All candidates will be tested with Ekrov's memory viewer, via a drop of blood taken as part of the interview process.  Reject anyone who is a magebreaker spy or a magebreaker, or otherwise some kind of dangerous nonhuman.

Steward will be special.

The best candidate for Steward will be introduced to the Reader's Digest in a private interview, attempting to capture the person, who will then be released and given orders to maintain a normal life, but to do nothing other than come to a fair contract for compensation for the position of steward.  Basically only being captured to ensure complete trustworthiness.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 02:09:16 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: June 20, 2020, 12:39:25 am »

Saeko, following the bunch of spells, and after enrobing, leaves her inn room and knocks on the door to Ekrov's room.

When he opens it, she grabs him with her wings and sort of tackle-carries him further into the room.

"It worked Ekrov.  Well, mostly worked.  They feel great."

"..and I feel great.  I should have done this sooner."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: June 20, 2020, 01:50:13 am »

Ekrov opens the door looking utterly exhausted, bags under his eyes and his hair in a mess.  He instantly perks up when he sees Saeko, a wide smile appearing "Oh, hi Sae--bwuh?!"

He struggles for a moment after being tackled, but relaxes after Saeko starts talking.  He awkwardly tries to return the psuedo hug, but gives up quickly, his face turning a little red as Saeko holds him with her wings.

"I, uh, see?  You're, you're much, ahh... taller, now?" he says, clearly still frazzled from the surprise tackle.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: June 20, 2020, 01:59:11 am »

"Yeah.. I put some of that in it too.  I mean, I didn't just want to look like a short child with wings.  Plus I didn't want to have to go up to some brute and stare him in the face from a foot below him."

.."anyway" saeko said nervously, as she puts him down and folds up her wings.

"Are you going to be busy tomorrow?"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 02:07:56 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: June 20, 2020, 02:05:15 am »

He looks over to the side, at a desk where there's a pile of papers next to a smooth metal sphere, and a partially dissassembled robot arm "I was actually going to... Ahh, no, no!  I'm not busy, it can wait!" he says, looking back up at Saeko.  "What did you want from me, Saeko?  You know I'm always happy to help."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: June 20, 2020, 02:09:51 am »

"Well, I'd like to have you try and fix my digestion" She says, as she opens her mouth to reveal the rows of shark teeth.  "These aren't exactly convienent."

"And it doesn't have to be today if you're busy.  Maybe in a few days.  I'd like to get something done that I've been wanting done for a while."

"I'd like to recruit people to build a base of some kind with all that money we raised.  Can you help me with that?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: June 20, 2020, 02:21:40 am »

Ekrov steps away when Saeko bares her teeth, his face turning a little less red as he tenses up.  "...Yes, yes I should be able to fix that.  Put them away, please?  Thanks, yes, I can fix those for you.  Tomorrow is good!"

He takes a long breath as Saeko talks about recruitment. "Yes, I'm sure.  I was never closely involved with selecting the help, but I do know of some good, trustworthy contacts."  He pauses, looking to the side for a few seconds.  "Though, maybe... I'd rather you went to talk with them.  Without me.  I don't like thinking about those times."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: June 20, 2020, 02:31:07 am »

"Well.."

"I can interview them on my own, but there's one thing I can't do."

She then twitches and touches one of her pointed ears.  This is slightly disconcertingly done by moving the ear more than the hand.

"You see, when we first got back here, to meet with the magebreakers, I overheard something.  One of the other employees was paid to spy on us.  We knew about Zavi, she was obvious, but one of the other workers got a nice bag of gold for telling them what we did on the trip."

"I know you told me to work with them, but that doesn't mean I really trust them.  Do you think you could use your.. memory thing, to check and make sure they don't do that again?  I know you don't want to, but could you just check to see if they're telling the truth when I ask them if they're magebreakers or working for the magebreakers?  Nothing other than that."

"Plus.. well, it'll also tell us if one of them is not human.  I don't want to hire some kind of monster to come live at our home."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: June 20, 2020, 03:15:53 am »

Ekrov's face twists up when Saeko mentions the ferrous memento.  He doesn't respond initially, crossing his arms and considering instead.  After a few seconds, he walks over to the pack that he carries around near constantly, and pulls the sack containing the sculpture out of it.

"...I'm not comfortable with using the Ferrous Memento like that."

He moves to his desk, turning the chair around to face Saeko as he sits down, though he keeps his eyes down on the small sack in his hands.  "Perhaps I could scry instead?  I have human, as a material, I could certainly determine whether an applicant is actually some inhuman monster.  And, I could probably figure out whether the person had dealings with the Mage Breakers!  I've gotten very skilled at scrying, there's not much I can't find out, given enough mana!"

He looks back up at Saeko, his expression still twisted into a grimace.  His words are optimistic, but his face makes it clear he doesn't even believe his own ideas himself.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: June 20, 2020, 03:22:49 am »

"I know you can find out lots of things that way, Ekrov."

"..but I don't know if I'd want you to use mana like that.  You've given me so much already."

"I'm not going to make you do it, but I'm asking you to.  I'd also like to know if they're okay with following slightly strange orders, and well... I trust you for everything involving normal humans, but I don't think you can be sure about being right when magebreakers are around."

"Anyway, thanks for considering.  If you want to help me with scrying, feel free.  The memento just seems so much easier, though, and we can be certain in a way that we can't be any other way."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: June 20, 2020, 03:36:55 am »

"But..."

Ekrov groans, closing his eyes and scowling.  "I hate that you're right.  The ferrous memento is reliable, and free, and easy.  Like too many evil things, it's simply better than the moral choice.  I wish I knew why I made this damned thing!"

He opens the sack, revealing the metal-decorated skull.   He lifts it up in front of him, glaring angrily at it, and for a brief few seconds it seems like he's about to throw it across the room.  Then he hugs it close to his chest, frowning and looking back at Saeko.  "Fine.  It's... you're right, again.  Fine... but I want to warn people.  Tell them we'll be checking their memories to see if they're spies.  Though, then they know there's others out there who would pay them to spy on us.  And right after we did something invasive!  AND then they'd be able to tell the mage breakers that I have this ability, and am willing to use it against them!"  He groans again, shutting his eyes and leaning back.

"...Why did I make this evil thing?"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: June 20, 2020, 03:59:35 am »

"Yeah.. telling them wouldn't help, would it?"

"Well, we could just make it the truth.  We're not going to search through their memories.  We're not going to do anything to them.  We're just going to ask a few questions and check if they're telling the truth or not."

"As for why?  I don't know.  Don't sculptors like yourself just get ideas and then things happen?  Maybe there's a god of statues or something around."

"If there is, we could try to find him and yell at him."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: June 20, 2020, 04:16:40 am »

Ekrov remains silent as Saeko speaks, until she suggests finding the god of statues and yelling at him.  At that, he lets out an involuntary chuckle, and cracks a smile.  He sighs, the smile fading as he opens his eyes and looks back down at the Ferrous Memento.  "Yeah, you're right.  I don't have any real idea where I get the ideas for these, I just... do.  They're works of love, too, I just wish they could match me better.  Like the Universal Lubricant.  That is... pure.  Unlike this."

He turns the skull over in his hands, still frowning and looking forlorn.  "It really would be nice if there's some god out there who chose for me to make such a thing.  At least then, there's a reason outside of myself.  I've always just felt that I made this because it relates to me somehow." he says, venom creeping into his voice.  "Like my noble blood giving me some instinctual desire to control people."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: June 20, 2020, 12:43:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((sorry for taking so long, Internet went out yesterday))
Greet the spirit and ask it the following question
“Hello. Do you know what happened to the people here?”
If it’s hostile, try dodging its attacks
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:49:10 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: June 21, 2020, 01:56:30 am »

Thank you.
I think I've done all I can then. Once I've seen to everyone and done what I can, make note of anyone that I think is treatable but that I was unable to help ((write down who they are, what is wrong, and what is needed)) and then I'll be moving along.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 203