Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 360002 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #585 on: October 22, 2017, 12:43:55 pm »

I guess I just need someone to let me join.
So does anyone wants to invite me to their cabal?

((You are more than welcome to join our merry band of adventurers. There's three players in our little gaggle (and 1 npc) and at the moment we're focused on adventuring. (Unless, Pan and Egan, you guys would prefer not to take in more people right now?)
Since you are inside a cave then just appearing inside would be weird yeah.

I would like to just spawn close to a lone character or another channeler then.
((If you want, you could join my cabal. Everyone else in it stopped playing. There'll probably be a whole lot of traveling so that I can find stuff for my sculptures.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 22, 2017, 01:57:44 pm »

"Well that's a thing."

It's an underground tunnel. There's like, not much to do except go forward. I would say to keep an eye open for side paths or something, but Behiar is frikkin blind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 23, 2017, 05:49:48 pm »

"Ayiii~, thank you!"

Hug the man.  Regular, not mana-draining, unless it feels like he's okay with a longer hug.  Then take him up on the offer, head to the new inn, and sleep.  Head out with the caravan to the west, as per it's previous destination.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 23, 2017, 06:20:59 pm »

Walk over to my followers. Do not follow them if they evade, especially do not go somewhere that isn't public. Just talk to the nearest one out in the open street, where plenty of eyes can watch us.
"Sir? Do I know you from somewhere? I could swear I've seen you before but I just can't place where from."

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 23, 2017, 06:31:14 pm »

Following Darwin and keeping ears peaked for the grindy thing. Exciting

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #590 on: October 29, 2017, 02:51:11 pm »

Moghorn stares back at the mountains of contraptions and trinkets behind him, making a mental note to return and plunder it. He sighs, and turns to the tavern.

Enter the tavern, wary of an ambush. This is the deep, lawless South. Try and engage a guide to the pillars of lead.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)

The tavern is not exactly a friendly sort of place; it too has an air of withered, dehydrated age and the people within it are much the same. The floor is either dirt or at least so covered in yellowish sandy soil that its impossible to see the floor beneath it. The bar is a long, heavily stained slab with a thick coating of scratched and potmarked varnish. Stools sit along its length, most of them empty. The room is high ceilinged and smells overwhelmingly of smoke and BO, with a half dozen circular tables and squat chairs scattered about with no particular design. The bartender is a darkly tanned man with facial hair that obscures everything but the wrinkled sockets and beady eyes that turn towards you as you step in. There are 4 other people in here, two at the bar and two at different tables. They all have the same look of being completely sunbaked and hard as nails. They wear long coats and wrappings of cloth over exposed skin, leaving not much more than a few spots of flesh and shocks of erratic hair exposed. You carefully walk to the bar, ignoring the stares, and ask the bartender about hiring a guide to the Pillars of Lead. He looks at you hard for a few seconds before grunting and asking "Why not just go there yourself? Walk that direction, you'll see'em 'fore long."

((You are more than welcome to join our merry band of adventurers. There's three players in our little gaggle (and 1 npc) and at the moment we're focused on adventuring. (Unless, Pan and Egan, you guys would prefer not to take in more people right now?)
Since you are inside a cave then just appearing inside would be weird yeah.

I would like to just spawn close to a lone character or another channeler then.

Okie dokie. You see the map in the OP? You can choose to spawn wherever you want on it or with whomever you want so long as they'll have you.  You'll need a character sheet though.

Walk over to my followers. Do not follow them if they evade, especially do not go somewhere that isn't public. Just talk to the nearest one out in the open street, where plenty of eyes can watch us.
"Sir? Do I know you from somewhere? I could swear I've seen you before but I just can't place where from."

The men who are following you are...kind of odd looking. Not unpleasant in their expressions but just kind of bloated with big watery eyes and oversized, partially parted lips. They smile and tell you they are from the church, sent to watch over you while you're in town.

"So many come here to receive knowledge of the deep but are turned away by the meddling of blasphemers. Or worse yet, spoil it for themselves. We're here to make sure that doesn't happen. Worry not, little sister of muck, we will not intrude upon your wanderings. Unless we must."

That last part is said in an ever so slightly harsh tone.

"Ayiii~, thank you!"

Hug the man.  Regular, not mana-draining, unless it feels like he's okay with a longer hug.  Then take him up on the offer, head to the new inn, and sleep.  Head out with the caravan to the west, as per it's previous destination.
You take him up on the offer and spend the night with the caravan. You notice they've lost a few members during the night's events and in the morning the Caravan leader pulls you aside.

"I don't rightly like asking ya this after all ya done, but we lost 3 good guards last night. Are you an able fighter, by chance? I'll pay you handsome if ya  are."

Following Darwin and keeping ears peaked for the grindy thing. Exciting

"Well that's a thing."

It's an underground tunnel. There's like, not much to do except go forward. I would say to keep an eye open for side paths or something, but Behiar is frikkin blind.

One problem however is that we're currently inside a cave complex searching for sweet treasure, so actually joining us might be a problem. As I see it you have three options:
1) take over the npc we have with us if PW is ok with it. This is what Egan did as well, his character Behiar was an npc scribe we had recruited over which he ASSUMED DIRECT CONTROL.
2) ask pw if it's ok to just appear near us with a new character. Would be a bit weird though.
3) spawn in the game world and wait for a little while until we're out of that cave, then join us. You could explore one of the nearby settlements for example, perhaps even find us a possible next adventure?))

The grinding noise seems to hover there for a moment before continuing on past, moving downstream, in the direction you were going to go. After it has faded into the the distance, Rufus leans in and whispers "Fossil Vampire".

We sneak onward. Ask Rufus if he can tell me more about what this thing is, but only if we can whisper quietly enough. If he motions to stay silent, do so.

Should that bloody thing continue to block our path, is there any way around it?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
"Undead of some kind. Not sure how they spot prey. They're beasts from ancient times, compressed down here and turned to stone. They hunt the living out of some perverted instinct to survive, even though they can't actually eat them.  Their organs have petrified into precious gems- mostly opal. They're quite beautiful to look upon and valuable, but getting them is hard."

A quick check shows that the vampire is still walking down the riverbank in the same direction that you were headed. Following it seems a possible course of action, though its moving slowly and it seems a very good way to accidentally alert it.  Rufus has two possible plans: Avoid it by trying to move to the other side of the river bank of there is one, or just kill the thing.

"With 4 of us, especially with that friend of yours, I think we stand a good chance. Plus." He says while eyeing the path the vampire walked down "A pair of opals as big as your lungs will do a lot for our guild....We'll split everything equally, of course."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 29, 2017, 03:00:30 pm »

"Oh, okay, um. Is there anything you want me to make sure I don't do? What do you mean about spoiling things for myself? What's the worry?"
ask

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 29, 2017, 03:15:47 pm »

"Undead of some kind. Not sure how they spot prey. They're beasts from ancient times, compressed down here and turned to stone. They hunt the living out of some perverted instinct to survive, even though they can't actually eat them.  Their organs have petrified into precious gems- mostly opal. They're quite beautiful to look upon and valuable, but getting them is hard."
A quick check shows that the vampire is still walking down the riverbank in the same direction that you were headed. Following it seems a possible course of action, though its moving slowly and it seems a very good way to accidentally alert it.  Rufus has two possible plans: Avoid it by trying to move to the other side of the river bank of there is one, or just kill the thing.
"With 4 of us, especially with that friend of yours, I think we stand a good chance. Plus." He says while eyeing the path the vampire walked down "A pair of opals as big as your lungs will do a lot for our guild....We'll split everything equally, of course."

Darwin huddled down a little with the rest of the team and whispered.
"Friends, should we go for it and assault this creature of the deep? It looks formidable, but perhaps, if we can ambush it we might be able to do it... We have the initiative, if nothing else, and Écalir here is like a savant with that spear of his. We could also use our rope and climbing gear to make a trap of some kind, perhaps limit his mobility so he can't get to us. What say you, my intrepid companions?"

((I'm not entirely sure this is a good course of action, but after so long I'm craving a little bit of action or payoff for our cave adventures. Besides, it's a vampiric stone subterranean horror, what's the worst that could happen? Still, if you guys wanna keep playing it safe that's cool by me.))

Could you give me Rufus' exact inventory, and perhaps statline if possible (to plan our attack, if the others agree on fighting it)?

In addition, do I know anything else about this thing? Rumors or old stories? Particularly interested in any potential weaknesses, of course. If the old man knows anything else, be sure to ask him.

Finally, using our rope (we still have lots) and climbing gear (grappling hook and iron stakes and such), could we devise some sort of (rope) trap in this cave? I dunno how exactly this cave looks, but perhaps a tripwire or net to haul it up with or something?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 29, 2017, 03:25:47 pm »

"I'm no fighter.  I don't have any weapons, and I put people back together, I don't hurt them.  There's a couple things I could probably do with my magic, like maybe keep the caravan silent, or summon a big ape to fight, but I don't hurt people."

"Are there going to be bandits on the route, like people, or is it just creatures?  I could summon a big ape to fight creatures."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 29, 2017, 04:36:11 pm »

Just spawn anywhere that has players or people and start existing already. Maybe start near the weird lake at the bottom of the map or in one of the nearby towns south, if there are players there.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:58:53 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 30, 2017, 11:21:30 am »

Moghorn sighs, and casually drops a few gold coins onto the bar.

"Now, I got to pick up something a man left for me a while back. Something that has cost me a great deal of time and effort, not to mention a lot of money. And this man told me about a veery particular place at the start of the pillars: The Catspaw Dune. And that's where this thing is buried, for safety. He went by the name of Jack Smith, says the folks round here know him. Jack said I could get a guide here, an honest and hardworking man. And I got plenty more gold to pay you, don't worry about that. Easy money if you don't mind a bit of digging. And Jack said everybody who was anybody would know where the Catspaw Dune is, if there was a purse of gold in it for 'em."

The idea here is to look like somebody who's been had and sent out on a fool's errand to die, convincing one of the toughs here to take me out to a fictional location and murder or at least rob me. Naturally, I'm going to shoot them in the back as soon as I get within feasible body-dragging distance of the pillars and out of sight of town. If somebody explains to me that they have no idea what I'm on about, disagree with them and offer more money.

One wheel short of a wagon

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 30, 2017, 04:47:35 pm »

"Écalir is ready to fight."

Did I have a look at the thing? Did it have any noticeable weakspots?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 30, 2017, 05:40:56 pm »

"I don't actually have any weapons. Or know how to fight."

Uuuuuuuuuuh.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #598 on: October 30, 2017, 06:58:38 pm »

"Oh, okay, um. Is there anything you want me to make sure I don't do? What do you mean about spoiling things for myself? What's the worry?"
ask

"You need not worry about anything, little sister. Some people are just over cautious, you understand. They never let things flow as they should. They make plans to try and outsmart enemies that don't exist and tie themselves in knots." He rests a huge hand on your shoulder, "Do not fret. Do as you wish. We will be here to make sure you do not stray from the right path. It is our duty for a seeker of truth such as yourself."

BTW are you ok with

Just spawn anywhere that has players or people and start existing already. Maybe start near the weird lake at the bottom of the map or in one of the nearby towns south, if there are players there.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
Showing up with you?

"I'm no fighter.  I don't have any weapons, and I put people back together, I don't hurt them.  There's a couple things I could probably do with my magic, like maybe keep the caravan silent, or summon a big ape to fight, but I don't hurt people."

"Are there going to be bandits on the route, like people, or is it just creatures?  I could summon a big ape to fight creatures."

He makes a pained face. "I cannot say for sure there will not be bandits. Beasts are more likely but men playing that part may come. I will not force you, you have done right by us already and the only debt here is my own to you. If nothing else, please keep your eyes open. The wastes are dangerous and with fewer guards we will be a more appetizing target."

Moghorn sighs, and casually drops a few gold coins onto the bar.

"Now, I got to pick up something a man left for me a while back. Something that has cost me a great deal of time and effort, not to mention a lot of money. And this man told me about a veery particular place at the start of the pillars: The Catspaw Dune. And that's where this thing is buried, for safety. He went by the name of Jack Smith, says the folks round here know him. Jack said I could get a guide here, an honest and hardworking man. And I got plenty more gold to pay you, don't worry about that. Easy money if you don't mind a bit of digging. And Jack said everybody who was anybody would know where the Catspaw Dune is, if there was a purse of gold in it for 'em."

The idea here is to look like somebody who's been had and sent out on a fool's errand to die, convincing one of the toughs here to take me out to a fictional location and murder or at least rob me. Naturally, I'm going to shoot them in the back as soon as I get within feasible body-dragging distance of the pillars and out of sight of town. If somebody explains to me that they have no idea what I'm on about, disagree with them and offer more money.

The bar keep looks at the coins and the back up to you with a sort of slow and deliberate smile.

"An honest, hardworking man eh?" He says, his tone not quite mocking but almost. He looks out the window nearest the bar and shakes his head. "Will be night before long. What say you stay the night here, and I get you a guide in the morning?"

"I don't actually have any weapons. Or know how to fight."

Uuuuuuuuuuh.

Rufus hands you a rock hammer, one matching his own.

"Écalir is ready to fight."

Did I have a look at the thing? Did it have any noticeable weakspots?

You didn't see it, but thinking back to the noises you're pretty sure its bipedal, judging by the footsteps. Crippling one leg would be a good way to put it down.

Darwin huddled down a little with the rest of the team and whispered.
"Friends, should we go for it and assault this creature of the deep? It looks formidable, but perhaps, if we can ambush it we might be able to do it... We have the initiative, if nothing else, and Écalir here is like a savant with that spear of his. We could also use our rope and climbing gear to make a trap of some kind, perhaps limit his mobility so he can't get to us. What say you, my intrepid companions?"

((I'm not entirely sure this is a good course of action, but after so long I'm craving a little bit of action or payoff for our cave adventures. Besides, it's a vampiric stone subterranean horror, what's the worst that could happen? Still, if you guys wanna keep playing it safe that's cool by me.))

Could you give me Rufus' exact inventory, and perhaps statline if possible (to plan our attack, if the others agree on fighting it)?

In addition, do I know anything else about this thing? Rumors or old stories? Particularly interested in any potential weaknesses, of course. If the old man knows anything else, be sure to ask him.

Finally, using our rope (we still have lots) and climbing gear (grappling hook and iron stakes and such), could we devise some sort of (rope) trap in this cave? I dunno how exactly this cave looks, but perhaps a tripwire or net to haul it up with or something?

Rufus' has a lot of climbing gear (ropes, crampons, metal spikes, grappling hooks,  etc) two rock hammers (now one) an round bladed ax and a metal helmet and spectacles.

His stats are  quite similar to yours.

Strength: d8
Speed: d4
Endurance: d6
Knowledge: d10
Will: d8
Senses: d8

In terms of weaknesses Rufus tells you that the thing is made of stone so blades are probably next to useless on it. Blunt weapons, or rather things like pickaxes would be the best possible, a sharp  point with  a lot of weight behind it to shatter stone.

The cave, as far as you can see since your lights can't illuminate everything at once, is a tunnel with a hemisphere roof and mostly flat ground. There are stalagmites and stalactites scattered all over and a river running either through the center or along one side (you don't know because you haven't explored the other side. The problem with traps is having places to set them up. Most rope traps and nets use a tree to whip up and catch something. You might be able to weave together a net and just throw it on the thing though. Or set up a tripline to literally trip it. But rigging a bit complex thing seems pretty damn difficult.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 30, 2017, 07:04:11 pm »

I'm fine with him spawning near me, though I don't think I know him do I?
"Sir, please take your hand off me. I do not like being touched."

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:07:04 pm by Lenglon »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 203