Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359828 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #510 on: August 23, 2017, 12:49:03 am »

Go see if there are any odd jobs to do that I would be good at around the temple to earn some gold, or maybe provide a garbage disposal service using alchemy to turn trash into Thaum, even if they are small amounts. Or get some gold from Bang if he still exists. Or try to find a way to trade labor for an empty hourglass.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:31:27 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 23, 2017, 09:34:46 am »

Just as my companions are doing, Ecalir will also bravely and adventurously sneak past the shrimp. Follow Darwin's lead in this whole sneaking thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 24, 2017, 12:08:56 am »

That's quite excellent.  Tell my guide that I'm tired, and ask for a recommendation on somewhere to stay; say that [whereever it is I've been staying] has been feeling unsafe, due to attention from the local Alki lord's mooks.  Then, rest for the night at whatever place he recommends.

Tomorrow's sermon will be a lot more openly seditious.  Summarize what I said before, and then continue by saying that the great failure of Alkahest is that they're incapable of recognizing the strengths of other people, incapable of considering others as their peers.  Their mistreatment of the people of Zaffre isn't even to keep down a threat--they honestly just see Zaffre's people as savages who are only good for hunting exotic meats for rich nobles to waste in gluttonous feasts.  They don't attempt to support Zaffre, even those foolish hunters who came for the Tree Shadow (as if Alki hunters could ever kill such a beast!) were just to protect Alkahest's trade.  There are no peacekeepers, just thugs who make sure Alkahest can leech off Zaffre.

Point out that Alkahest's treatment of Zaffre isn't the behavior of a benevolent savior, or even an evil tyrant.  It's worse; it's the behavior of an indifferent child who pays no mind to a pet animal in a cage, uncaring of whether it's sick or hungry, and incapable of recognizing that it has any significant use or value.  It's a tragedy, considering how much greater Alkahest could be if it recognized the strength of its subjects.

...TL;DR let's get them riots going.  Leech mana off the crowd while I'm at it.

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #513 on: August 27, 2017, 12:08:27 pm »

Swim for the surface, some part that isn't on fire.

The current of the river is fairly strong, so by the time you've risen back to the surface and pulled yourself up onto the bank, you've traveled several hundred feet. The inn and the two buildings around it are half collapsed and completely consumed by flame. Groups of men have already come and formed a bucket line, pulling water from the river and throwing it onto the flames. They seem to be focusing less on putting out the buildings already on fire and more on keeping the neighboring buildings from catching fire. There are screams coming out over the sounds of fire, cracking wood and shouting; people no doubt injured in the explosion. The air is painfully cold in your wet clothing and you have some desire to get closer to the fire if only for warmth.

"I'm thinking," Behiar whispers, "-that I'm on the side of not messing with that shrimp."

Looks like we're climbing down that chasm, now. That's probably fine.
Just as my companions are doing, Ecalir will also bravely and adventurously sneak past the shrimp. Follow Darwin's lead in this whole sneaking thing.

Still no Radio huh? Well, ok.

((Sorry Guv, been away from my computer for a while, and you know how it goes, by the time you get back it's all '13 unread emails' this and '4 new facebook messages' that, '2 new contracts to review' or 'the league of shadow assassins awaits a new target my lord'. The ratrace of modern life, ya know?))

What's that?! It's a character sheet! Half the stats! Half the items! None of the magic! Stuck in a dangerous cave with two fellas who DO have all that stuff! Ladies and Gents, it's a CHALLENGE RUN!

((Fresh meat, excellent. Welcome to the club. And just in time for tragedy drama to unfold! Lucky you.))

Unless anyone objects, I'd say we follow Rufus' advice and Behairs example, and try to sneaky sneaks past the shrimp. I'll go first and go very slowly, using my well developed senses to try and spot any lurking nasties so we can avoid them.

All of this to an appropriate soundtrack, of course.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
The climb down the chasm is an unexpectedly long one. Even with rope and iron spikes to make the descent easier, the stone is slick and the team dares not move too quickly with the threat of giant homocidal shrimp lurking just beyond the light of their lanterns. Despite the danger, the entire group manages to climb down without encountering anything more than some fist sized albino spiders which, while spooky, are apparently harmless. The chasm ends suddenly and they find themselves hanging on a ceiling over an expanse of darkness. Below them, maybe  40 feet, there's the sparkle and roar of running water.

Rufus braces himself on the wall and uses a rock hammer to knock a few stones free. He tosses them down into the dark, hurling them straight down and also off at different angles.

"I think we're on the roof of a pretty large cavern, with this river running through the center. The problem is getting to the side where we can stand. I don't think any of us are going to be making an overhand climb on the ceiling...Ok. There's one way to do it. One of us will have to lower themselves down on a rope and swing back and forth, to try and at least see the edges of the river. If they can see them, then we can give them slack at the right time and sort of cast them out to the side. Then the rest of us can use the rope to get to that wall."

He shifts his weight "Though, this is all pretty damn dangerous."

Go to Fearce, look at the prices of Black Flux, buy a contained lightning battery if I can afford and carry one. Also look for a fist-sized crystal and Alchemist's tools.
Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
On the second day of your journey, somewhere out in the middle of the wastes between the two cities, you find something. There are scattered trees around here, all dead, black and twisted. But you find one that is particularly odd. It seems to have something stuck in it; a bludge around which the gnarled trunk has grown. You peek in through a slight gap in the wood and see what looks like a smooth jade surface with just half a cuniform letter visible on it.

"So he speaks truly and the priests are the ones who lie? okay. What about the regular townsfolk? anything I should know about them?"
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
"Do not trust. Do not! Hungry. HUNGRY! Break the bread that is you."

Go see if there are any odd jobs to do that I would be good at around the temple to earn some gold, or maybe provide a garbage disposal service using alchemy to turn trash into Thaum, even if they are small amounts. Or get some gold from Bang if he still exists. Or try to find a way to trade labor for an empty hourglass.

We'll say that you took the job of waste disposal man in the time you've been silent. It wasn't a particularly pleasant job but you managed to make 15 gold and 20 Thaulm out of it.

That's quite excellent.  Tell my guide that I'm tired, and ask for a recommendation on somewhere to stay; say that [whereever it is I've been staying] has been feeling unsafe, due to attention from the local Alki lord's mooks.  Then, rest for the night at whatever place he recommends.

Tomorrow's sermon will be a lot more openly seditious.  Summarize what I said before, and then continue by saying that the great failure of Alkahest is that they're incapable of recognizing the strengths of other people, incapable of considering others as their peers.  Their mistreatment of the people of Zaffre isn't even to keep down a threat--they honestly just see Zaffre's people as savages who are only good for hunting exotic meats for rich nobles to waste in gluttonous feasts.  They don't attempt to support Zaffre, even those foolish hunters who came for the Tree Shadow (as if Alki hunters could ever kill such a beast!) were just to protect Alkahest's trade.  There are no peacekeepers, just thugs who make sure Alkahest can leech off Zaffre.

Point out that Alkahest's treatment of Zaffre isn't the behavior of a benevolent savior, or even an evil tyrant.  It's worse; it's the behavior of an indifferent child who pays no mind to a pet animal in a cage, uncaring of whether it's sick or hungry, and incapable of recognizing that it has any significant use or value.  It's a tragedy, considering how much greater Alkahest could be if it recognized the strength of its subjects.

...TL;DR let's get them riots going.  Leech mana off the crowd while I'm at it.

You find lodging at a local inn. Nothing special, just a single room and bed for 3 silver. Hardly worth commenting on really.

You continue your sermon the next day. It is a partial success, at least. Almost everyone agrees with what you're saying but only about 20% of the crowd seems whipped into enough of a violent zeal to be coaxed into starting a riot. You leech 5 mana from them regardless. You count up the people round you and find that you have a crowd of roughly 50 people with 10 or so that seem ready to start breaking things. The rest are onboard but...just a little less motivated.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2017, 12:23:03 pm »

Get up and keep moving to try and prevent hypothermia.  Head towards the disaster area, is there anyone badly wounded?

((So how many of my posessions should I remove because of the fire?))

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:19:29 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 27, 2017, 01:05:10 pm »

"I'll do it! Watch this!"

Hold my beer! Wheeeeee!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 27, 2017, 01:22:22 pm »

"Adam, I'm worried that I'm in over my head here. Are you sure I should keep trying? Maybe I should just go home..."

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:54:29 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 28, 2017, 02:31:49 am »

"Ok, I think if we try to-"

"No wait, it's dangero-"

Hold my beer! Wheeeeee!

Well, I guess Behiar is going first. Keep senses peeled for danger nonetheless.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 28, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »

((Minimal perception and maximum adventurousness is sure to lead to no problem, not at all!))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:17 pm »

"Ecalir thinks that perhaps the sense of adventure has overwhelmed her common sense, yes?"

Observe Behiar, hope for the best.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 29, 2017, 02:48:48 pm »

Right then. Time to go to the market and buy an empty hourglass. Also see if any kids would be willing to draw me a picture of that golden hummingbird demigod thing Bang wanted to kill for a gold coin. Preferably not in a creepy way. And don't ask them about their shorts. Also ponder ways to legally, or at least without getting caught, get a pound of flesh from a still-living person. I had a volunteer before, but I think he disappeared.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 31, 2017, 08:11:52 pm »

Do I recall any useful stories of significant rebellions in border towns, successful or otherwise?  If so, start telling one, and focusing on either saying they failed because they were too aggressive, trying to force change without a real plan, or by saying they succeeded because they were careful.  Explain that it's good to understand the problem, but caution is needed--even against the sad excuse for a government Alkahest has formed here, an uprising without a plan is doomed.

Instead, people need to spread the word, and talk.  Those who have listened to me understand what needs to be done, but many are content to go about their lives without thinking of it.  They need to be informed, and I cannot speak to everyone.  Spread the word.

TL;DR, calm the crowd and bring the speech to a close, and tell them to get me a bigger audience so I can combat Empath's diminishing returns.  Also make it obvious that the local Alki strongmen need to break my knees, or skull.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 02, 2017, 04:15:34 am »

Look around for more unnatural objects. Stop and think if I do find anything. Otherwise:

Get a pebble from the ground and bounce it off the tree, then the rune. Then break a stick off one of the dead trees and poke the stick with it. If all this gives no reaction, touch the letter. See if I can see any more by angling my head.

[/quote]
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #523 on: September 03, 2017, 09:58:37 am »

Get up and keep moving to try and prevent hypothermia.  Head towards the disaster area, is there anyone badly wounded?

((So how many of my posessions should I remove because of the fire?))

((keep'em. We'll assume you had them in your bag and your bag on you))
You get up, arms wrapped tightly around your chest, and walk toward the fire. Its oddly comforting to be close to the blaze. There's a pleasant warmth to it compared to elsewhere in the cold darkness. There are injured all over the place. A good number are only mildly injured, victims of flying wood shrapnel or with a few burns. You could heal them, but they would most likely survive all on their own. There are also bodies, clearly dead, burnt to being unrecognizable or blown apart. And then there are the men somewhere inbetween; rescuers have been laying them out by the river bank on white sheets.  The worst off seem to be the ones injured in the explosion; those hit by the brunt of the fire are already dead. The badly injured are pin cushions of wood splinters, minor burns and blunt trauma. One man seems to have been caught with a glancing blow to the chest that basically removed all the flesh from a 5 inch swath, exposing his chest cavity. You can see his heart beating rapidly inside, lungs expanding and contracting feebly.

Hold my beer! Wheeeeee!

"Ecalir thinks that perhaps the sense of adventure has overwhelmed her common sense, yes?"

Observe Behiar, hope for the best.

"Ok, I think if we try to-"

"No wait, it's dangero-"

Hold my beer! Wheeeeee!

Well, I guess Behiar is going first. Keep senses peeled for danger nonetheless.

[1v8]
Behiar shifts position and unties herself from the group line, making ready to tie herself to the longer, independant line they planned to use to throw her. She has just finished removing the line when her foot slips and she tumbles down into the darkness with a short, abrupted yelp. There is a splash as she hits the water below.

Behiar finds herself suddenly plunged into freezing water, totally blind in cave darkness, tumbling end over end down river. Rufus, back up in the chasm, just sort of swallows slowly and breathes a deep breath through his nostrils.

Right then. Time to go to the market and buy an empty hourglass. Also see if any kids would be willing to draw me a picture of that golden hummingbird demigod thing Bang wanted to kill for a gold coin. Preferably not in a creepy way. And don't ask them about their shorts. Also ponder ways to legally, or at least without getting caught, get a pound of flesh from a still-living person. I had a volunteer before, but I think he disappeared.

You find a glass blower and commision the hourglass shape from him for a gold piece. That done, you use another gold piece to buy a single sheet of velum and some sticks of colored wax. You use the left over money to bribe a child into drawing a picture of the humming bird thing. For the money you give him, he does it happily and without question. You do your best to remain detached, emotionless and not at all creepy while you wait for them to finish.  As you wait, you think of ways to get a pound of flesh. There are arenas around, places of combat where you might be able to grab up a severed limb and use it while the man who lost it was still alive.  Paying for it would be the other way; you'd need someone willing to trade gold for flesh and someone able to perform the transaction. You could try and remove the flesh yourself but...you're not sure how well it would go. You have some knowledge of anatomy, but with that knowledge came the understanding of just how fragile a human can be, if mishandled.

Look around for more unnatural objects. Stop and think if I do find anything. Otherwise:

Get a pebble from the ground and bounce it off the tree, then the rune. Then break a stick off one of the dead trees and poke the stick with it. If all this gives no reaction, touch the letter. See if I can see any more by angling my head.

[/quote]
You make a quick circle out from the thing, spiraling out a good few hundred feet but find nothing else of interest. You return to the tree and bounce a rock off it, before bouncing a rock off the stone thing inside. The second part is harder but you manage it. There's no reaction from either. You wiggle a finger in and touch the thing; its very smooth and the cuniform has been carefully cut. You explore with your finger tips and get the feeling that this is some manner of slab or stone tablet. There are other symbols, hidden by the tree but able to be felt.

Do I recall any useful stories of significant rebellions in border towns, successful or otherwise?  If so, start telling one, and focusing on either saying they failed because they were too aggressive, trying to force change without a real plan, or by saying they succeeded because they were careful.  Explain that it's good to understand the problem, but caution is needed--even against the sad excuse for a government Alkahest has formed here, an uprising without a plan is doomed.

Instead, people need to spread the word, and talk.  Those who have listened to me understand what needs to be done, but many are content to go about their lives without thinking of it.  They need to be informed, and I cannot speak to everyone.  Spread the word.

TL;DR, calm the crowd and bring the speech to a close, and tell them to get me a bigger audience so I can combat Empath's diminishing returns.  Also make it obvious that the local Alki strongmen need to break my knees, or skull.

You think back about rebellions in the area. Your mind goes almost exclusively to the stories of rebellion that ended quite poorly, being crushed as soon as Alkahest decided they were a threat. You spin the stories to your needs, turning them into seditious but cautionary tales about how rebellion needs a good plan. The underlying implication of course being that you had that plan. You then tell them to spread the word in a way that is rather obvious and, you hope, will get the interest of the Alki enforcers lazing about.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 03, 2017, 10:33:35 am »

"Adam, I'm worried that I'm in over my head here. Are you sure I should keep trying? Maybe I should just go home..."

missed me
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 203