Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 10 years and no attack?  (Read 1028 times)

Yal

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Did you hear the one about the dwarf and the sun?
    • View Profile
10 years and no attack?
« on: April 14, 2017, 04:11:56 am »

Hello! I've had a lot of fun with this fortress, but it's out of a world generated with a 5 year history. There are LOADS of goblin/elf/human/dwarf civs on the map in legends, but only human, kobloid, and dwarf appear on the [c]ivilization screen.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the early history of the world?
I have everything related to attacks turned on in the init files.
I have had some incredible forgotten/legendary beast battles (under and above ground)

I've tried chopping a lot of the biome down in attempt to coerce elves, yet no contact.
I have around 10 million in total wealth, and have the monarch!

I'm now in year 15, and have had no group/civilization attack thus far.

Anybody else have experiences or advice for me, hungry for more battles?
Can I make goblins/elves attack some how? I don't want to piss off humans or other dwarf civs.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10 years and no attack?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 04:32:56 am »

1. Breed giant cave spiders.
2. Let them go wild.
3. Release in fort
4. ?
5. Profit!

1. Find shiny blue fibrous metal.
2. Dig away.
3. ?
4. Profit!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:53:40 am »

'c' screen means nothing. That's the civs who have already visited your fortress (and you already know goblins haven't). At 5 years, I imagine your nearest goblin site population is so low the soldiers were wiped out in another fight before they even thought about visiting you.

Wealth also means nothing. Goblin invasions are only attracted by population (80+) in vanilla DF.

Did you check if the site had goblin neighbors before you embarked (on the map when you selected your location)? If there's no-one nearby, no-one will come.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:57:01 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:49:45 am »

Shonai_Dweller said most of it.

You can use Legends Mode to check for nearby goblin (and elf) sites and whether those sites are likely to be strong enough to send invaders (they probably need to have a pop of 50, and only one site [probably the closest] will send invaders, which then stays locked as the invading army source. DF doesn't know how to build an invader force by taking warriors from multiple sites [yet]).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 06:20:58 am »

Don't worry, come the next update, if no-one comes, you can send out your own people to annoy random civs until they invade you.

And bonus! The useless 'c' screen is gone too (replaced with a map of potential targets to cause mischief at).

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:23:22 pm »

The location of your fortress and how young the world is are both likely culprits. The world is probably underdeveloped with few sites and a low population. On top of this you probably embarked out in the middle of nowhere miles and miles from the nearest goblin site.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 09:51:41 am »

Do you get trade caravans? The trade caravans are indications of any civs within range, no civ is going to run literally across the world to steal your gold. They'll sustain more losses along the way than they will have attackers to destroy your fort. Also, if your civ happens to be near a goblin fort, it doesn't necessarily mean goblins live there. Most of the time, goblins in my world will inevitably piss off a race with better weapons and get owned. Meaning that there are a ton of goblin forts that are either abandoned or have been appropriated by other races.

You also currently cannot be sieged if it is physically impossible for a race to interact with the 30 tiles outside your map. If you live on an island or in a valley surrounded by mountains, you won't be sieged.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:44:53 am »

Good ways to piss off the elves:
  • Violate treecutting quota
  • Kill their diplomats
  • Kill their traders (letting a single one escape seems to piss them off more than killing them all)
  • Give them wooden stuff
  • Seize their trade goods (the amount they gained/lost when they leave determines how much you'll piss them off). It seems that seizing the items has a stronger effect than stealing them by other means
  • A healthy mix of the above.
A few years of doing at least one of those things should be enough to make them set up an ambush. I've never seen them going on a straight up siege though.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 10:04:46 pm »

Good ways to piss off the elves:
  • Violate treecutting quota
  • Kill their diplomats
  • Kill their traders (letting a single one escape seems to piss them off more than killing them all)
  • Give them wooden stuff
  • Seize their trade goods (the amount they gained/lost when they leave determines how much you'll piss them off). It seems that seizing the items has a stronger effect than stealing them by other means
  • A healthy mix of the above.
A few years of doing at least one of those things should be enough to make them set up an ambush. I've never seen them going on a straight up siege though.
Only works if there are actually any elves about. In this case there aren't.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:39:27 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:04 pm »

Killing their traders and diplomats and seizing their goods is considerably less effective for angering elves than trying to sell them wood. Remember: offend *their* ethics, not yours. Now, if you want to anger the *humans*, interfering with trade and diplomacy is a great strategy.