Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 28216 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2017, 08:21:14 pm »

funny you should say that puppyguard.  you are the only dwarfed necromancer.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2017, 08:25:36 pm »

Winter 54 “Histories of the Great Culling”

I have decided that this necromancer book is no good.  Now we have dwarves wandering about talking about the secrets of life and death, and just no good can come of that.  I have ordered the book forbidden behind a locked door near the library.  Now we only have to figure out what to do with all these necromancer dwarves...

Cursecheck indicates that we have 10 necromancers, including our doctor, legendary brewer, and humorously enough, puppyguard.  I’ve burrowed them in the corner of the map and locked the door.  They also now all have the profession “4 Necromancer” for ease of identification.  I also stuck Sodel in there because i don’t trust that guy.

We have a Divine Fabric musical instrument that’s worth all of the money sitting in the depot and i can’t get it moved for the life of me.  Can someone deal with that?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dear diary, this year I ZAZ QUELL THE COMBAT EPISTEMOLOGIST have significantly advance our efforts from caravan to happy dwarves.  I have helped to defeat ettins and become necromancers.  I have dug holes and made doors.  It was a good year.

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12903

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2017, 09:18:01 pm »

Thanks zazq. I needed to hear your all-caps motivation. Thanks.

In other news, why is everyone not a necromancer? We have an opportunity here to make an all necro fort. Literally everyone can be a necromancer. We can have a pet zombie forgotten beast. WHY DO YOU NOT WANT THIS?

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2017, 10:07:58 pm »

Zazq... how could you let me become a necromancer?
WHY?
Maybe my dwarf has a child of some sort that can succeed me.
doubt it.

Can't wait for my turn!

Also, having a pet zombie forgotten beast would be cool, but would not let us trade with caravans or receive immigrants.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2017, 11:00:43 pm »

Zazq... how could you let me become a necromancer?
WHY?
Maybe my dwarf has a child of some sort that can succeed me.
doubt it.

Can't wait for my turn!

Also, having a pet zombie forgotten beast would be cool, but would not let us trade with caravans or receive immigrants.
Just lock it in a room.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2017, 12:02:53 pm »

Can't wait for my turn!

Just lock it in a room.

Would be difficult without mechanisms. Transport would require some creature logic witchcraft.

We must have a necro fort. WE NEED THIS IN OUR LIVES.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2017, 01:39:24 pm »

Can I have a turn and dwarf? Not much experience with succession games, so expect this to go horribly wrong.
But that's just part of the !!FUN!!, isn't it?
Anyway, here's a zip of the latest save.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:52:23 pm by MrLurkety »
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »

Can't wait for my turn!

Just lock it in a room.

Would be difficult without mechanisms. Transport would require some creature logic witchcraft.

We must have a necro fort. WE NEED THIS IN OUR LIVES.

Just drop the corpse in the room before it's reanimated. Boom. Problem solved.
-snip-

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2017, 08:42:34 pm »

Pretty sure it's hun's turn.  The order is something like:

zazq > hun > puppyguard > derpydev >

If hun doesn't show up, we should give mrlurky a turn i think.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2017, 09:24:20 am »

Pretty sure it's hun's turn.  The order is something like:

zazq > hun > puppyguard > derpydev >

If hun doesn't show up, we should give mrlurky a turn i think.

That makes sense.

If hun does show up though, mrLurkety is getting added to the queue.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2017, 02:32:18 pm »

So, then I do the turn, and then MrLurkety, right?
I'll do in the few next days.

PS. I also like the idea of necro-fortress. Not sure if I'll venture in the end though...

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2017, 02:42:42 pm »

It seems like the dwarves that were going to read the book did so almost instantly.  By the time i noticed it we had like 10 necromancers.  I left it unforbidden for most of the year and hardly any other necromancers were created.  So getting more dwarves to read is would be a problem.  Perhaps we could make all the necromancers into scholars and they'd make more books about life and death, and maybe more books could encourage more reading? 

The wiki seems to indicate that dwarves with a 0 in Reader can't read.  Its a skill you can train on embarking dwarves, but therapist doesn't list it, least i can't figure out how to make it.

Also it is probably the case that fortress dwarf necromancers make uncontrolled undead when they animate things, which is probably bad.  They'd get into combat, panic and animate things, and those things would attack them, making them panic and animate more things, and so on. 

Maybe it doesn't though.  I've never played with fortress dwarf necromancers so do some science and figure this stuff out. 

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2017, 10:42:28 am »

It seems like the dwarves that were going to read the book did so almost instantly.  By the time i noticed it we had like 10 necromancers.  I left it unforbidden for most of the year and hardly any other necromancers were created.  So getting more dwarves to read is would be a problem.  Perhaps we could make all the necromancers into scholars and they'd make more books about life and death, and maybe more books could encourage more reading? 

The wiki seems to indicate that dwarves with a 0 in Reader can't read.  Its a skill you can train on embarking dwarves, but therapist doesn't list it, least i can't figure out how to make it.

Also it is probably the case that fortress dwarf necromancers make uncontrolled undead when they animate things, which is probably bad.  They'd get into combat, panic and animate things, and those things would attack them, making them panic and animate more things, and so on. 

Maybe it doesn't though.  I've never played with fortress dwarf necromancers so do some science and figure this stuff out.

So... the question is still, "can we make an all necro succession fort?" It will be challenging, as we will effectively have to quarantine vanillas so they do not get devoured by undead. And the children won't be necromancers because they won't learn how to read, am I right? Who else wants to turn this succession fort into a madhouse experiment on necromancers?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2017, 01:07:55 pm »

One thing that bothers me, is that, to my knowledge, undeads do not attack the necromancer who created them, but can attack any other living beings (including other necromancers as well!).

They should not attack other undeads though. If only we could find a vampire, to make everyone in the fortress vampire necromancers!

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2017, 03:19:07 pm »

I think being a necromancer removes the living tag from a unit.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17