Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: Philosophy Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 26584 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Limited Suffrage: Should Voting be a Right?
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2017, 03:08:23 pm »

I'm not really certain what stance there is for providing voting rights to noncitizens. They are here purely on the permission of the people here already. Barring the exceptional case of stateless persons, most people are born into a state that can, presumably, take them back if they don't like it here. If they don't like it here they can leave. Merely being affected by the actions of the country is not enough, else the US would have to start extending the vote to people who don't live in the US, since the actions of the US affects everyone.

Legal immigrants are citizens. Therefore they should have the right to vote. To have this argument in the first place requires arguing first against all citizens being able to vote in the first place, which I've not seen argued.

[Max and Covenant fighting over whether either of them believe immigrants exist]

[Literal Fascism]

[Semantic fight over nature of "belief]

Wow, and just when I thought this thread couldn't get any worse.
Only one of those three are worth continuing. Let's move "Max vs. Covenant" to PM, "Max vs. the World (of Philosophy)" to it's own thread (perhaps philosothread?), and fascism to... iunno, dprk.
Still a belief.

I just realized that this whole argument is incredibly pedantic on my part, and I really need to stop this.
No! This is a legitimate philosophical argument to have. Pedantry this is not.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:10:00 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2017, 03:10:53 pm »

I'm talking about my behavior, not the fundamental underpinnings of the argument.   By holding on to the subject even after Max made it clear that he was no longer (or was never) interested in a debate on it, I was definitely being a jerk.

Also: Still not sorry about derailing the thread.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:15:25 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2017, 03:20:00 pm »

Majority (of any type) rules, including representative democracy, is just a questionable system in general. It has nothing in it to prevent systemic abuses, or systemic oppression of any group.

Also, simply giving suffrage doesn't really guarantee anything... even mandatory suffrage (I'll throw that in there to make things fun) doesn't even solve problems.

I would say a bigger issue is we should be more careful about letting small groups of people make decisions for (or set policy for) large groups of people.  This includes on a personal level - blaming every citizen in a country for the policy decisions of its leadership is a naive thing to do, but it happens all the time.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2017, 03:39:58 pm »

*yaaaaawwnn*

Good morning everybody, whats u-

[Max and Covenant fighting over whether either of them believe immigrants exist]

[Literal Fascism]

[Semantic fight over nature of "belief"]

Wow, and just when I thought this thread couldn't get any worse.

It related to the 2nd Law of thermodynamics.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2017, 03:47:44 pm »

If they don't like it here they can leave.
Man, I know you know that's not actually true in practice, unless by leave you mean kill themselves. Relocation, especially on a national scale, is not exactly something you can just do, and for any number of people it's effectively becoming permanently homeless or outright committing suicide. Which is only a choice in a real damn technical sense.

Any case, the argument such as it is for non-citizens appears to be input. Citizens would get the vote cause they're citizens and dicking around with that probably isn't worth the effort. Non-citizens would get the vote if they're meeting the same responsibilities citizens ostensibly have (paying taxes, contributing to the economy, meeting some base level of civic investment, etc.). Basically making the argument that if you're giving money to the state and/or making it a better place, you should be allowed some degree of influence in how said money or effort is used.

Ain't so sure I agree with it, but I can kinda' understand it. Some rando living in another country that happened to be born in the US, that gives pretty much nothing to the country, not even living in it and the knock on effects of that, getting to vote when someone that's technically a non-citizen but been living here for decades (even if they're legal and trying for citizenship, buncha places have thoroughly fucked immigration processes where they could easily be trying for that long and not made it yet), paying taxes, contributing to the economy and so on and so forth, doesn't, is pretty sketchy on the face of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2017, 04:05:58 pm »

Is someone from another country who never even set foot here capable of reasonably expressing the desire to vote on things in this country? Probably not.

How does one "reasonably express the desire to vote"?

If its just walking into a poll place and asking for a ballot, any old schmoe could do it.  And I'd think quite a few foreigners might want to chime in on a vote or two.  Its not like the US's influence is global these days or anything.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2017, 04:18:34 pm »

There has to be some kind of limit there, yea. If just anyone who expresses the desire to vote, regardless of citizenship status would be allowed to vote, we'd see that come next elections, the US suddenly would turn into a very popular destination for Russian 'tourists' on election day haha.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2017, 06:26:02 pm »

If they don't like it here they can leave.
Man, I know you know that's not actually true in practice, unless by leave you mean kill themselves. Relocation, especially on a national scale, is not exactly something you can just do, and for any number of people it's effectively becoming permanently homeless or outright committing suicide. Which is only a choice in a real damn technical sense.

Any case, the argument such as it is for non-citizens appears to be input. Citizens would get the vote cause they're citizens and dicking around with that probably isn't worth the effort. Non-citizens would get the vote if they're meeting the same responsibilities citizens ostensibly have (paying taxes, contributing to the economy, meeting some base level of civic investment, etc.). Basically making the argument that if you're giving money to the state and/or making it a better place, you should be allowed some degree of influence in how said money or effort is used.

Ain't so sure I agree with it, but I can kinda' understand it. Some rando living in another country that happened to be born in the US, that gives pretty much nothing to the country, not even living in it and the knock on effects of that, getting to vote when someone that's technically a non-citizen but been living here for decades (even if they're legal and trying for citizenship, buncha places have thoroughly fucked immigration processes where they could easily be trying for that long and not made it yet), paying taxes, contributing to the economy and so on and so forth, doesn't, is pretty sketchy on the face of it.

There has to be some kind of limit there, yea. If just anyone who expresses the desire to vote, regardless of citizenship status would be allowed to vote, we'd see that come next elections, the US suddenly would turn into a very popular destination for Russian 'tourists' on election day haha.

Most (all?) countries have a system in place for becoming a naturalized citizen. You might argue (and I would tend to agree) that the system in place isn't perfect and could use improvement. But given the example of the US system...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's nothing there that's all that difficult to overcome other than possibly the fairly ambiguous "be of good moral character" which could be used to weed out just about anyone.

In general I don't think 5 years living here and a very basic understanding of the common language and system of government is all that much to ask. Granted, actually getting past that first hurdle to actually live here legally is often the tough step, and I agree that needs to be reformed somehow... but just focusing on the naturalization process on it's own. I don't think that's too much to ask in order to have the right to be a citizen (and vote) in the US. Some other countries make it even easier than that.

As for the "love it or leave it" attitude, I get what you're saying, but at the same time, if your choice is living for a few years in a place where you don't really agree with the politics and can't vote to change it, but have the possibility somewhere down the line of gaining that vote to change it but can otherwise live a relatively safe and possibly happy life or death... yeah... I'll go get myself a pocket phrase book and study for the next 5 years.

Once again, there are MANY things wrong with the system. But citizenship as a requirement for voting isn't one of them. Also Frumple, I get that you're just considering the other side, but that was just the reply that happened to be the most recent in that chain.

EDIT: And while I understand why some people might feel that way as well, it's just a line that you really can't cross.

As a kid I always wondered "Why don't they initiate a test for voting so kids who were knowledgeable enough about the system could have a voice too. I'm a grumpy old man now and while I know why kid me thought that. I also know now that maturity is a thing you just don't understand until you have it. As a child your brain just hasn't fully formed yet, you haven't had experience with a lot of things. And while I risk insulting by calling immigrants childlike... that's not my intention, it's a new place, a new culture. There are experiences that it would be good for them to have, that they could probably get most of in that 5 years of residence. Knowledge that you can only pick up first hand. Experience that might round off some of those sharp edges that get caught on the "way things are." So stated with full acknowledgement of the irony involved, try walking a mile in the moccasins of a citizen before you start coming in and trying to change things.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:32:47 pm by sluissa »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2017, 06:36:28 pm »

To the above:

"Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years."

That's the difficult one.

That's true, but I'd say it's a failing with the standards of immigration, not the standards of citizenship or the standard of using citizenship as the basis for suffrage.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2017, 06:43:16 pm »

To the above:

"Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years."

That's the difficult one.

In general I don't think 5 years living here and a very basic understanding of the common language and system of government is all that much to ask. Granted, actually getting past that first hurdle to actually live here legally is often the tough step, and I agree that needs to be reformed somehow... but just focusing on the naturalization process on it's own. I don't think that's too much to ask in order to have the right to be a citizen (and vote) in the US. Some other countries make it even easier than that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2017, 06:44:35 pm »

Nah, we're just kinda' shit at processing their anything, cov. Standards of immigration, not immigrants.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2017, 07:03:59 pm »

Aside from the silly bullshit questions about Cold War era political affiliations and the unreasonable strictness involved in actually being issued a Green Card, there's nothing wrong with our standard for attaining citizenship. The problem is mostly sourced in the mind-numbing insanity that is the persistent refusal to fund USCIS, a refusal that Congress sometimes acts like they don't even know about. It should be no surprise that immigration is so fucked under such circumstances.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2017, 07:59:55 pm »

Is someone from another country who never even set foot here capable of reasonably expressing the desire to vote on things in this country? Probably not.

How does one "reasonably express the desire to vote"?

If its just walking into a poll place and asking for a ballot, any old schmoe could do it.  And I'd think quite a few foreigners might want to chime in on a vote or two.  Its not like the US's influence is global these days or anything.
That would be part of "reasonable expression" which would need to be worked out by something like a majority of people probably.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2017, 07:56:53 am »

A belief is something held to be true, whether or not it is known to be true. I do not do that. Belief may be normal to you, doubt is normal to me.

To believe is to choose to accept something as true without knowing (or being able to define it such that) it is true.

I know that words have meaning, they are defined as such.

You can choose to define how your mind operates, but keep your fingers out of my head, we are very different people, as illustrated by your insistence that beliefs are required and declaration that debate is not allowed.

I long ago made a point of purging anything that resembled a belief. My values or principles or whatnot are unrelated to that, I simply don't hold things to be true without knowledge that they are true. It strikes me as an absurd act at this point, possibly the same way it strikes you as absurd to think someone doesn't do that.

Wow, the is probably the most enlightened by their own intellect I've seen someone on  bay12 in a long time.
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »

Hey thanks, that means a lot to me, I guess? Someone feel like starting a thread for the derail?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19