Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DM VS GM: A GAME OF LIFE AND DEATH  (Read 3677 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio

DM & GM
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:25:24 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Bartender: "Any time. Please come back later. I'm not getting much business lately."

As the party travels along the path the map provides, things get somewhat worrisome. Though most of the journey was peaceful, the party eventually comes to a forest that seems to be filled with an air of dread. No harm comes to the party, but they all feel something's off. Within the forest, they come to a wooden door embedded in the side of a hill. The map indicates that this is a dungeon entrance.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio

Heroes, from here on the DM will be the one primarily instructing you. Thank you.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gregory flexes. Well,
let's get going then!

Open the door.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

Most actions will require a d8 to be rolled, and the result will be based on the roll. It's like a d6, except normal success, weak success and normal failures have double the chance of other outcomes, and overshot require 9+. 1 is critical fail, 2 and 3 are normal failures, 4 and 5 are weak success, 6 and 7 are normal success, 8 is great success, and 9+ are degrees of overshot, which don't have normal amounts of overshot penalty until 11+. [Stat] rolls get any bonuses/penalties from that stat, advantage (roll twice and pick higher result) if that stat is the doer's strength, and disadvantage (roll twice and pick the lower) if it is instead their weakness.

Anyway, there are 3 ways to open the door: using the right key, which is an auto-success in normal circumstances; breaking open the door, which requires a roll of strength and endurance (the latter for flavor unless either on a normal failure if the door is very hard or critical fail is rolled, in which case minor damage is taken[will work on health/damage when it is about to apply]); and picking open the door, which requires a lockpickl and a dexterity roll. Thankfully, Witch Doctors start with a Jagged Pin, which can be used as a lockpick, but counts weak successes as failures, and breaks on a Critical fail.. (breaking means it enters an unusable state, unless said otherwise)

Another note on breaking open the door; either 2 minor strength successes or 1 normal or above success is needed to break it successfully.

REMEMBER- The GM needs to confirm to these rules or adjust them first.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile

I would like to Request the Rules for Demon Summoning.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

REMEMBER- The GM needs to confirm to these rules or adjust them first.
Well hm. I'm not the GM, I'm the DM. I'm fairly sure that's what you mean, though.

There is a house rule I think would be fair.

Even if somebody successfully broke in a door, they could still be hurt by the effort or by jagged wood, right? I think that the endurance roll should count regardless of whether or not the door is very hard or a critical fail is rolled, however, if a natural 6, 7, or 8 is rolled, the endurance roll is waived.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio

• What abilities would the other two heroes like fleshed out before combat? Keep it to one each for now.

• Heroes, you can pray to your guardians if you are unhappy with the DMs modification. However be sure that you understand their personality. They may also grow a deaf ear if you challenge every new rule that doesn't obviously upset them. They too desire for a bit of challenge so if the GM rule is too easy they won't mind a little bit of more difficulty.

DM GM
    I will need each roll outlined for me. A literal list of what each roll is and what it means. If this sounds too tedious then that means you should probably simplify these rules.

DM GM
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:11:20 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DM VS GM: A GAME OF LIFE AND DEATH
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 06:54:24 am »

Gregory doesn't have a need for these silly "abilities." His bare fists and rippling pectorals fullfil all his offensive and defensive needs. However, this door does appear to pose a challenge, seeing as how the DM thinks Gregory should get hurt attacking it (cuz doors are much tougher than mobs), so a door busting ability would be great!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2017, 09:08:33 am »

GM
Spoiler: GM(and DM) only: (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2017, 02:19:51 pm »

Kicks thread.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:03 am »

Going to officially call this dead. I will shoot a friendly PM notification to the active participants when and if I make another one of this kind.

FallacyofUrist
Elvish Miner
crazyabe
OceanSoul

Thanks for playing!
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]