Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: "Simple" Dwarven Fort, It's cold here (succession fort) Grab the save!  (Read 31670 times)

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

if snow dwarf won't take the save, I will.
I'll give him/her 3 days before I start

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

if snow dwarf won't take the save, I will.
I'll give him/her 3 days before I start
Wow! Wow! Don't worry here it is. http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12908

Just don't start yet until I do a writeup (probably tomorrow), because we might have a werebear breach problem and a few holes in the fort. I played only till autumn, but there was a lot happening.

Note to self: Don't try to weaponize werebears while there is a zombie breach outside.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

Short update to get you started:
One of the werebears is dead, but there is another guy who might be infected. I named him "maybe werebear". The other werebear is lurking somewhere around the fort. Zombies came and a forgotten beast came. We've got holes going from the werebeast room a few z-levels down because the roof collapsed while I was trying to make a booze dropper for the werebears.
Full update coming later.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

One of the werebears is dead, but there is another guy who might be infected. I named him "maybe werebear". The other werebear is lurking somewhere around the fort. Zombies came and a forgotten beast came. We've got holes going from the werebeast room a few z-levels down because the roof collapsed while I was trying to make a booze dropper for the werebears.
> tried to build a booze dropper
> warebears can't die of thirst

>booze dropper fails and warebears escape
> -, -

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

> -, -
Though the dwarfs need booze otherwise they are distracted and won't train properly.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

> -, -
Though the dwarfs need booze otherwise they are distracted and won't train properly.
Doesn't matter now anyway.
Am I OK to start tonight or do you need another day to write the report?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

No, that's all the important stuff.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

Ok, lets try to save this sinking ship:

3rd of Limestone: ok, I've identified the warebear. Now to try and lock it up. Since it has that feature of "REGENERATION AND MURDER EVERYONE IF IT EVER GETS FREE" I can't use the hospital trick that I like to use (and used before) on it so if I can't get a bedroom for it made in time i'll have to kill it.
4th of Limestone: Our last leader told a miner to mine out a chuck of rock floating in mid air for... some reason. It caused a cave in and killed a dwarf. RIP
11th of Limestone: Someone made all the doors forbidden. I undid that
14th of Limestone: none of the "maybe warebears are warebears, the one that was though is dead without harming anyone, told you my militia was awesome. Now time to go kill the FB
16th of Limestone: because someone blocked off both our water sources, another dwarf has died of infection due to the cave in.
17th of Limestone: Because someone also put ALL THE LEVERS ON FORBIDDEN, I can't open the door to the underground to do anything. I'm assuming another 5 dwarfs will die to the infection now as well.
17th of Limestone: production on making a NEW lever has been delayed due to someone making the brilliant decision to create 300 rock doors and assigning everyone on masonry and hauling.
25th of Limestone: The forgotten beast is dead. Harmed and killed no one, total dwarf count is at 41.

I'll have to stop there for today before I tear my hair out in frustration. I don't know what the hell happened between Zazq and snow dwarf but the warebears and the siege are the least of everyone's problems. The fortress is a goddamn maze, useless orders everywhere, lack of any resources due to forbidden bridges and levers, Deliberate cave ins.

I'll come back and finish the year in a couple of days because jesus, it's a nightmare.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

When three dwarf fortress players try to have a "normal", "simple" fort:
I'll have to stop there for today before I tear my hair out in frustration. I don't know what the hell happened between Zazq and snow dwarf but the warebears and the siege are the least of everyone's problems. The fortress is a goddamn maze, useless orders everywhere, lack of any resources due to forbidden bridges and levers, Deliberate cave ins.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:21:40 am by snow dwarf »

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

Alright guys, I'll get back to playing tomorrow, but one thing first.
How do you guys think I should get rid of that undead seige we have. My own idea is use a ton of cage traps and a long hallway but what do you lot think?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can't the military just slaughter the siege?  goblin and human corpses are chumps. 

So why are you complaining about the forbidden levers?   Each of the 3(?) entrances to the caverns are sealed via drawbridge and each has a lever to open it placed very close by on the same z level, and i'm pretty sure they have (N)otes left of them to indicate.  just mass claim the lever and it should be in good shape to open the bridge and let forgotten beasts into the fortress. 

I could have sworn we had a well somewhere.

do you like the library?

and can we PLEASE weaponize the wearbears?  i really want that.  Flamehorses has weaponized necromancers and this one needs werebears. 

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

The warebears got free in the last year, I had to kill them this year. Sorry not sorry, I'd rather have zero warebears then 2 massacring the fort every month. If it's any consolation, they couldn't even touch my military, so I guess we don't really need them anyway.
The forgotten beast is dead too, it went the same way.
I'll try Leroy Jenkins the seige since you suggested it. I was planning to use a long underground walkway with at least 50 cage traps but if you're right, or militia might be op enough to win. We'll see.
Also Zazq I think your dwarf actually wrote something. I was distracted by large parts of the fortress caving in but we have several codex and books now so maybe he got to work.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:17:55 am by Alpha Loves You »

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

28th of Limestone: I can't believe it, our militia destroyed the entire undead siege without a single injury. I'm not kidding. Zazq, i'm giving you full points for that idea.
3rd of Sandstone: MIGRANTS!!!
1 x Weaver
1 x Trader
1 x Fish Dissector
1 x Shearer
1 x Cook
1 x Gem Cutter
only 6 but it's something. total dwarfs now stand at 47.
13th of Sandstone: We have plenty of Steel and Electrum so i'm using them to kit us out with some steel weapons and some electrum crafts.
11th of Timber: I've elected that half of our kittens and puppies are to be slaughtered. Nothing personal, we just have a lot of them.
13th of Timber: A mook has been possessed, can't wait to see how this will get us killed.
19th of Timber:

ok, autumn over, most of our issues are fixed. I'll finish winter tomorrow, then we can decide who's turn it will be.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

16th of Moonstone: I've started training a small second militia just in case things go south. They're already kitted out in pure steel and can kill trolls without any injury.
4th of Opal: Just an update to say nothing's really happening.
19th of Opal: I forgot to close the door and I accidently let a Troll inside  :-[
Good news is the new squad proved once again that they can murder trolls without and injury.
6th of Obsidian: I may have let about 50 turkey eggs hatch.... I'm petitioning we rename the fortress "Turkfortress" because there's more turkeys then dwarfs now.
12th of Obsidian: We will now commence the annual tradition of killing a metric ton of Troglodytes. The new squad are doing pretty good at murdering them too.

And that concludes the year
Sorry nothing much happened this season. We do have plenty of food, metal and turkeys so we have plenty o prepare us for whatever comes next year. Here's a picture of our stats:

And here's the download:http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12924

Thanks for letting me play guys, it was fun eventually  :D

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

who's turn is it?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19