Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insta-trading!  (Read 429 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Insta-trading!
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:37:48 pm »

so apparently if you forbid items from one trading session (say, hypothetically, Elves) while the traders are still there, and then claim them when the next caravan shows up (say, Humans), not only will the items not be taken out of the Depot, they will retain their [TRADING] tag.

Just discovered this because I didn't want items hauled out of the depot, only to be hauled to stockpiles far away, only to be brought AAAAALL the way back.

.......my stockpiles are a mess atm. Gonna be disabling all labors (except for 1 per person per month so they don't get bad thoughts) once all dwarves are properly mood primed. Then either selling all my shit to the caravans and then buying them all back with my few thousand prepared food pots to get them out of their bins.....

or abolishing ALL stockpiles (except my emergency wood stockpile that took forever to haul) and starting over from scratch.

Also, I'm excited because I tend to get fed up with/die by the third year of the fort. I'm in....year six of the fort (so year 8). I'm a couple years past the "MAKE MASTERWORKS FOR DORF BUCKS" and now I'm in the "Sell all the non-Masterworks, and prepare to destroy all the rooms so everyone can have Masterwork everything." stage.

EDIT: MY Mountainhome for a [Quality] tag for work orders, and/or for searching for trading. both for hauling goods AND for finding items to trade.

I just want to keep my Masterworks in the Fort, and make sure that I use Masterwork Pots for booze production!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:42:04 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Insta-trading!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:13:21 pm »

My method is to have stockpiles with bins for all the things I usually trade away fast (finished goods of particular types, low-end weaponry, low-end prepared meals, high-end goblets with decorations, etc) right next to the trade depot. If I don't trade them to the first set of traders who go past, they get dumped pretty fast in the nearby stockpiles, not downstairs where the binless stockpiles are (such as binless cup storage, binless weapon storage, etc) and I can move them pretty fast when the next traders turn up. I think it's because I've had "forbid" backfire on me a few times, so I tend to avoid forbidding things where I can.

(If you're wondering why I'm not just trading one glass mechanism for everything, I happen to enjoy roleplaying, that's all. The challenge is in making things that traders would concievably pay sensible rates for in the fantasy setting.)
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Insta-trading!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:09:31 pm »

My method is to have stockpiles with bins for all the things I usually trade away fast (finished goods of particular types, low-end weaponry, low-end prepared meals, high-end goblets with decorations, etc) right next to the trade depot. If I don't trade them to the first set of traders who go past, they get dumped pretty fast in the nearby stockpiles, not downstairs where the binless stockpiles are (such as binless cup storage, binless weapon storage, etc) and I can move them pretty fast when the next traders turn up. I think it's because I've had "forbid" backfire on me a few times, so I tend to avoid forbidding things where I can.

(If you're wondering why I'm not just trading one glass mechanism for everything, I happen to enjoy roleplaying, that's all. The challenge is in making things that traders would concievably pay sensible rates for in the fantasy setting.)

I'm working on that. But my stockpiles have gotten......fucked up ver the last 6 years.

I'm working on building up a stockpile of bows and arrows to have a bowdorf, and I have all other kinds of exotic weapons I don't want to melt down (I want Lasherdorfs, dammit!) mixed in with the Masterworks meant for wear or trade, mixed in with low-quality metal items that need to be melted.

Rough gems and cut gems mixed together (thankfully just fixed that literally minutes ago by carefully selling off portions Gem Bins, and having fixed the Gem stockpile a year or so back), and stockpiles being in weird places.

Now I just need to kill the deadly dust FB so I can channel the stairs down through the first cavern, and prevent the deep-down Forgedorfs from getting sick every time they come up to help with the trade hauling.

That, or do what I did with the first, web-spitting FB. Ignore it until the cavernlife kills it for me. or it wandered off? DFHack purges deceased, so I'm not sure. I do know the third cavern is littered with bodies.

Regardless, the minute the human caravan leaves, I'm going to be working the staircase up through caverns 2 and 3 in preparation for sun-filled 3x3 staircase.

I'd go for the staircase that serves the deep dwarves, but I'm not confident in my aquifer-breaching capabilities.

Or rather, I'm very confident in my ability to flood everything below the first couple soil layers.

EDIT: to be clear, I'm d-b-f to forbid and d-b-c to claim. I should have enough crap elsewhere that I can easily ride out any Mood.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:17:42 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!