Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387282 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2325 on: May 12, 2017, 10:21:32 pm »

psst roboson. duplivote for magegems
psst chiefy. i try to avoid duplivotes. i only resort to them when it is required to get my voice/vote heard. which means i only do them on turns when basically everyone else is doing them, and i don't like the result. i personally think the multivote system has not only caused a lot of friction within our team, but also wrecked our ability to have a fair voting system. for now imma stick with giant birds.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 12, 2017, 10:25:57 pm »

The problem with single votes is that, in my opinion, it just doesn't work.
You have situations like this one where I really want Magegems to win but doing so without duplicate votes means Giant Eagles loses, which I still greatly prefer over upgraded frost towers.

Oh well.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: May 12, 2017, 11:44:28 pm »

See, to me, that's part of the fun of the game. There is a certain level of political and strategic finesse to the single vote system. It forces you weigh the options as well as the other votes, and act accordingly. The multivote system takes that away and means that everything under the sun gets a vote, and that each vote has little strategic value. In otherwords, its boring, nonstrategic, and unfun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 13, 2017, 12:43:55 am »

I somewhat dislike the political game, but I can see that it would have entertainment value. I just find it sort of tragic to see a proposal get completely ignored due to politics... It also puts way too much emphasis on getting out fast. It tends to be very difficult for a late-comer to get support when the first couple of people will be basically compromising something that might win in order to support something that might lose, even if it is very good, simply by virtue of the vote ending before the new proposal has a chance to gain attention. So I feel that the political game is undercut by the early-bird game, but that is just my opinion. And some people would like the thrill of racing to get their proposal out quickly.

So I would prefer to have a preferential system, where no vote is lost. But an unequal-vote system is a compromise. You get to play politics with your primary vote, but you get to spread your attention with your minor votes. That way everyone gets a bit of what they want.

But one vote per person is in the first post, so it has rules backing it up if anyone cares to enforce them.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: May 13, 2017, 03:26:00 am »

I understand the wanting of a voting system that takes into account things like vote splitting, but if we really have an issue with that we can always ask the host to hold off for a day while we discuss it.

Anyway, if we are going Giant Falcons we might also consider opening a fifth arena, underground monsters that can sneak up on and attack their ballistas directly from underground.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 13, 2017, 03:28:56 am »

Well I mean.
Now's the time to discuss it then because the game is on a hiatus. (Go read the Core thread if you haven't already.)
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 13, 2017, 04:42:16 am »

Yes, now is the time to realise your miistakes and come vote for my clearly superior vulures! Which may fail horribly but it really ought to give us a basic fix for our conjuring, even if it is a bit involved...

And no, I am totally not basing this off oc alchemy! I swear that it is just convergent evolution.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 13, 2017, 04:45:59 am »

Naw. Vultures just aren't worth it. Again, they're extremely overambitious when they don't need to be. Learning by failing is one thing, but we can learn by succeeding and getting something useful, too - the Giant Falcon. If getting better at conjuration was pretty much the only goal, I'd say going for simple slightly-enlarged vultures "automatically trained" (I forget a proper word for that) to do our bidding.
But with just the goal of a good flying unit, life magic (+ a bit of conjuration) serves as a better base for it right now. Plus it is on the road to magical gene editing, which I know is something RAM wants.

Also, just wondering: Do we know if our conjured animals can get dispelled?

And please vote for Magegems. Please.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 13, 2017, 06:59:51 am »

And please vote for Magegems. Please.
I'm willing to vote for Magegems, but only if you promise to vote on the Revision phase to make the frost towers cheaper.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 13, 2017, 04:06:44 pm »

Mage gems is a useful thing right now as well as having options for expansion later. Giant Falcons is just a counter with no future options.

So my vote is Mage Gems

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 13, 2017, 04:08:09 pm »

Giant Falcons is just a counter with no future options.
Heresy.

Falcon eyes for our archers, even larger ones to ride, giving our men wings, better feathers for our arrows, specialized messenger birds, suicide bomber birds...

Imagination, son!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 13, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »

I think we're desperate enough for human animal hybrids. I'm sold.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 13, 2017, 04:15:35 pm »

yeah that does sound awesome, but I bet we could just ignore air combat by having magically empowered(mage gems wink wink, nudge nudge) long bows shoot everything out of the air.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 13, 2017, 04:29:21 pm »

Well, my number one want this turn is the Flare revision.
Next turn I'd be fine with revising Frost Towers though.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: May 13, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »

I do like the idea of hybrids, but it is a long-term thing and we would be starting from sratch. Conjuration permanency would get us all our crystal gear back with a single revision, and set us up for crystal-clads... And the vultures are not that ambitios, aside from being permanent, it is all stuff that we have done before, although we have not taken element combining to that degree... If you conjure something,you can pretty much just will it to be functional, and pull it out on command. Alteration needs to be done on a breeding population or mass treatments and you need to bend the existing material to your whims. The vultures definitely would not lead to eagle-eyes on our archers, which is sad, but that is as good as we could hope for. With vultures, we could be breeding crystal dragons in a couple of years' time...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 301