Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387302 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1185 on: April 28, 2017, 02:43:08 pm »

Orders
-1 - Civil service (Robson) - +Robson, -Ebbor, -Andrea

The only order I would like to give is to sprout thorns to break up formations, but I don't think we need to tell that to our mages?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 28, 2017, 02:44:28 pm »

Your mages can and will sprout thornbushes as part of their defensive tasks.

Edit: I take it the concensus is to hold onto the expense credit?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 28, 2017, 02:46:32 pm »

That does seem to be the case.

Credit
0 - (Chiefwaffles)Expense credit for Anti-magic bombs: Chiefwaffles
2 - (10ebbor10) Expense credit on longboats : Roboson, Andrea
0 - (RAM) Myark:
5 - (Andrea) Save for next turn ship: Andrea, RAM, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Stabby, Chiefwaffles

This was the latest post.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49:18 pm »

Remember people, orders are not free.

Orders roll at a disadvantage, and if they fail they will actively harm our war effort. Do we want to run the risk of disrupting our harvests/ magic units  for just a few tiny bits of extra food?

Our magic academy isn't really contributing to the war effort right now. It's not even listed in our equipment/units section. As far as orders go, this is one of the least risky ones as it doesn't involve our war effort mages and the magic academy is under our jurisdiction, not the army's. Unless we're getting some invisible bonus from the academy, I see no reason to not try and get something out of it. Especially if a few dozen or so apprentices in training can grow an entire field of corn or some other crop in a single day.

That does seem to be the case.

Credit
0 - (Chiefwaffles)Expense credit for Anti-magic bombs: Chiefwaffles
2 - (10ebbor10) Expense credit on longboats :, Andrea
0 - (RAM) Myark:
6 - (Andrea) Save for next turn ship: Andrea, RAM, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Stabby, Chiefwaffles, Roboson

This was the latest post.

Yeah, hold it is best.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 28, 2017, 02:51:30 pm »

Your Apprentices are more combat capable.  I was not aware the academy wasn't listed, I'll tweak that.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 28, 2017, 02:55:49 pm »

@Evictedsaint, can apprentices in training even cast the grow plants spell, or is that limited to graduates of the academy?

Because if undergrads can cast it, I think practical application of magic would be a wonderful addition to the curriculum  :P

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 28, 2017, 02:56:41 pm »

Write about the apprentices as well. This is at least the second time this question is asked ( and answered), if it appears in our equipment probably people will not need to be reminded.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 28, 2017, 02:58:52 pm »

Just as long we box their numbers in briars, trees and such with prep. That will screw up their formations.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 28, 2017, 03:01:51 pm »

Yeah. I'm not going to push for the combat engineers thing particularly If it doesn't go through then I'll just bring them up later as a design or revision at some point when plant growth is more effective.

Not that I think it's a bad idea now. I still support it and think others should. Being able to change the battlefield to our advantage would be a nice thing to have and worth the risk, even with the current state of the dogwood wand.

I'm assuming the default use for the dogwood wand is widespread deployment, use for general regrette of the forest and use as limited cover/hiding.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 28, 2017, 03:02:32 pm »

We can't. The spell is nowhere near good enough. It would be easier for our men to dig up trees and carry them with them.

We're going to get hammered badly, since we have created nothing of military value this turn, and unlike Moskurg, we have no failing computer program to ignore that for us.

Being able to change the battlefield to our advantage would be a nice thing to have and worth the risk, even with the current state of the dogwood wand.

If you want to change the battlefield, you can simply give our men a shovel. It'll be far more effective.

Remember, it takes 20 minutes per plant to cast, and then the plant takes 24 hours to grow. And all you get is a shrubbery just as tall as you are.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:05:17 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 28, 2017, 03:04:13 pm »

I am assuming the default use of the dogwood wand will be thorns, thorns and thorns. Since that is about the only useful thing it can spawn in useful quantities.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 28, 2017, 03:04:51 pm »

Also, we may want to push into the desert via the mountains this turn. Its likely they're going to try and push into the jungle this turn, but if we can hold it with enough defensive preparations (Brier growth, walls of flame, and other defensive measures), then we may be able to get a foothold in the desert while they focus all of their resources to the jungle.

Yeah. I'm not going to push for the combat engineers thing particularly If it doesn't go through then I'll just bring them up later as a design or revision at some point when plant growth is more effective.

Not that I think it's a bad idea now. I still support it and think others should. Being able to change the battlefield to our advantage would be a nice thing to have and worth the risk, even with the current state of the dogwood wand.

I'm assuming the default use for the dogwood wand is widespread deployment, use for general regrette of the forest and use as limited cover/hiding.

It was my understanding that it would mostly be used before fighting began to strengthen our positions. As we hold the entire jungle now, we only have to hold our positions, not try to advance. So we can line the area with briers and dense undergrowth during the year so that when the time for fighting arrives, we've already sculpted the battlefield to our advantage.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 28, 2017, 03:08:42 pm »

We can not push into the desert without the frost tower.

We're barely advancing in the Jungle, where we have all the advantages. In the desert, where the Moskurgians get open terrain, heat and naval support we are going to lose.

No point in throwing away forces. (And I sure as hell don't want to deplete garisson of the mountains. Losing abundant plate would be devastating).

It was my understanding that it would mostly be used before fighting began to strengthen our positions. As we hold the entire jungle now, we only have to hold our positions, not try to advance. So we can line the area with briers and dense undergrowth during the year so that when the time for fighting arrives, we've already sculpted the battlefield to our advantage.

Here our freezing sabotages us. Whatever plants we create will likely die before the fighting occurs.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 28, 2017, 03:11:15 pm »

I am thinking we may want to try pushing the fight out of the jungle, so we can stop killing it with frost and preserve its wood.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 28, 2017, 03:11:24 pm »

What if the seeds we plant came from our taiga which are used to the cold? With the tower of frost and plant magic we have two taiga now.

And.  No to attacking the desert. We need logistics over haul there and way better units and naval support.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:15:30 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 301