Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387385 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1140 on: April 28, 2017, 05:06:07 am »

If you really want to have the last word, at least be so nice as to put it inside a spoiler.

With that all said and done.

revision
4 - (Chiefwaffles)Revise Large-scale Plant Growth: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, RAM, Tyrant
0 - (RAM)Refined Steam Engines:
0 - (RAM)Summon water:
1 -(10ebbor10) Anti Lucky strike charms

Credit
1 - (Chiefwaffles)Expense credit for Anti-magic bombs: Chiefwaffles
2 - (10ebbor10) Expense credit on longboats : 10ebbor10, Roboson
1 - (RAM) Myark: RAM

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 28, 2017, 05:09:19 am »

Actually, waffles, we have more than one anti magic unit. From the look of it, we already have enough arrows to cause them trouble casting. See the "medium range" part of melee, where it says they can't cast to protect themselves due to our anti magic arrows.
the suggestion to have more would be more useful when we can make them explode on impact or in flight, I feel. Right now, the benefit might be limited.
However, losing the sea now means we will have an harder time holding the jungle later. And having the jungle provides a great help to our navy, which will likely be quite expensive at first. SO, I think we need to use our expense there, or save it for next  turn to use on the new ships we design.

revision
4 - (Chiefwaffles)Revise Large-scale Plant Growth: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, RAM, Tyrant
1 - (RAM)Refined Steam Engines: Andrea
0 - (RAM)Summon water:

Credit
2 - (10ebbor10) Expense credit on longboats : 10ebbor10, Roboson, Andrea
1 - (RAM) Myark: RAM
1 - (Andrea) Save for next turn ship: Andrea

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 28, 2017, 05:14:25 am »

I feel that the discussion has run its course, there is still more to be said but I doubt anyone is paying much attention by now, as the thread is becoming difficult to follow.
For our next topic, lets discuss the specifics of enemy antimagic. I want crystals back, to that end I should like something tailored to defeating their antimagic.
Saint very kindly gifted us this for free. No rolls nor waiting or anything!
Since this conceivably happened regardless, I'll go ahead and say you interviewed them.
- The crystal weapons vanished into aether, the way they normally would without proper magely maintainance.
- The wizards described attempting to cast magic in range of their ivory staffs as a similar feeling to when a child jumps up and down, hoping to fly.  It just doesn't happen, no matter how badly they want it to.
It does look very much like our own effect. The magic is just gone. But they are shooting it at a distance. There are no reports of the magic coming back either, as one would expect if it were a sudden magical compression that took it all and crunched it into an inaccessible lump. We convert the magic into sound, but they just "poof" it away.

I am now theorising that they are not satisfied with metagaming modern weather and fantastic electrical theorems, but are shooting into sci-fi for the large-scale generation of antiparticles. But without the boom? Antiparticles would definitely boom, they are too metagaming to let opposing particles not boom...

Antiparticles: magic/antimagic reactions neutralises the magic: no boom
Wish-granting: I impose my will upon that place and say thine zone shall be that of no-fun: our charms/bombs should work against the spell.
Explosion: all the magic went to the outside of a sphere and I am inside of it: The charms/bombs should tend to suck it back more quickly and hopefully someone would have noticed the gradual return of magic to the area.
Implosion: The magic is all next to me, instead of within me: It should explode quite quickly when it wears off, with a distinctively odd distribution.
Teleportation(overlap): Well sure, they can teleport magic now...
Teleportation(replacement): Not only that, but they can drain the magic from a spot and then teleport that. Or they are teleporting from outside of the magic region, so... space? Note that it only teleports magic so there is no material vacuum relocation.
Disruption: Magic went weird, I dunno how to make it work like this: Our wizard didn't notice anything like that, it was just gone, that means disrupting even the tiniest bits of magical manipulation like making your finger feel tingly...

Ooooh, andrea shiny
revision
0 - (RAM)Summon water:

Credit
2 - (10ebbor10) Expense credit on longboats : 10ebbor10, Roboson, Andrea
0 - (RAM) Myark:
2 - (Andrea) Save for next turn ship: Andrea, RAM
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 28, 2017, 05:18:35 am »

SO, I think we need to use our expense there, or save it for next  turn to use on the new ships we design

That is an interesting conundrum.

I would do it instantly, if I wasn't worried that something new next turn would postpone our steam vessel again.

e. But they are shooting it at a distance

I thought it was anchored to a stick?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 28, 2017, 05:23:19 am »

From what I understand, they use the staff to dispel us, although it could very well be an area effect, I suppose.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 28, 2017, 05:40:13 am »

Revision
0 - (RAM)Summon water:
1 -(10ebbor10) Anti Lucky strike charms 10ebbor10

Credit
2 - (10ebbor10) Expense credit on longboats : Roboson, Andrea
0 - (RAM) Myark:
3 - (Andrea) Save for next turn ship: Andrea, RAM, 10ebbor10
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:42:41 am by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 28, 2017, 05:59:33 am »

Can you imagine the irony if he paid us with money that disappears in a month?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 28, 2017, 06:05:46 am »

It would be annoying.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 28, 2017, 06:18:52 am »

Verily!

And while the antimagic is anchored to a stick, it also disrupts our fireball casting from, well, somewhat close...

On the offensive they'll get close with their ivory staffs and prevent our mages from smiting attacking Moskurgs with fireballs.  A single Moskurg mage can stop several mages from casting at once, preventing us from wiping the floor with their troops.
the lead rider holding aloft an ivory staff that snuffs out magic all around it.
The mages wielding staffs do their best to get in range of our wizards, and when they do our mages see fireballs fizzle out on their fingertips.
It could be a radius around the staff, but it would have to be quite the huge radius to have their rather obvious ivory-staff wielding wizards charge into the fray. I mean, it could be, what, 12 metres they could get to before they die? I am picking the value at random but I cannot imagine our mages being that close to the front line if they can help it. Our mages are not primed for melee combat as far as I am aware. A 12 metre radius is huge, massively huge. It is a sustained effect that acts upon all magical potential in the area... I mean, sure, it could be a sphere, but... yikes... Or is it not sustained, and it just pops and then vanishes? It still seems unlikely that it is using the same principal as ours given that the crystals respond differently, but I suppose it could just be a matter of magnitude...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 28, 2017, 06:50:04 am »

Alright, I kinda skimmed over the last few pages of arguments, but can someone tell me why the antimagic arrows not exploding in an antimagic field is a bad thing? From what I understand, they're well, an anti-magic weapon we issue to our non-magical longbowmen to use to explode at enemy mages or force them to not cast. So if antimagic (either ours or the enemy's) is applied to the arrows when they're with the shooter, nothing happens, which is good. If antimagic (either side) is applied to the arrows when they're shot near an enemy mage to prevent explosion, then the mage can't cast, which fulfils the purpose of preventing magic even though it doesn't kill the enemy mage. Am I missing something?

Revision
5 - (Chiefwaffles)Revise Large-scale Plant Growth: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, RAM, Tyrant, Azzuro
0 - (RAM)Summon water:

Credit
0 - (RAM) Myark:
4 - (Andrea) Save for next turn ship: Andrea, RAM, 10ebbor10, Azzuro

Voting for plant growth revision, because I hate leaving stuff incomplete. And for saving the Expense Credit, because why spend it on longboats that are going to be obsolete next turn?

United Forenia Forever!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 28, 2017, 08:00:26 am »

It's an issue if we want to use them against normal soldiers.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 28, 2017, 08:14:32 am »

Revision
5 - (Chiefwaffles)Revise Large-scale Plant Growth: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, RAM, Tyrant, Azzuro, Stabby
0 - (RAM)Summon water:

Credit
0 - (RAM) Myark:
4 - (Andrea) Save for next turn ship: Andrea, RAM, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Stabby

It's an issue if we want to use them against normal soldiers.
Ebbor they are not a weapon for use againist regular soldiers. they are desgin to kill and stop MAGES who can wipe out entire Squads by themselves. If anything them not exploding in Anti-magic fields is a good thing since then their mages can't cast spells anyway and the bombs will still go off after the anti-magic field is lifted causing their mages to hide again.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 28, 2017, 08:46:23 am »

Greetings, Glorious Arstotzka!  Just writing to say I'm heading back from China next week and had a day off today, so I caught up with the thread.  Wow!  It's really nice to see how well this has been going, and I tip my hat to Saint for being such a grand GM.  In fact, just in case there was any doubt about it, I'll be leaving this with Saint (because in a real way it's their rather awesome game now) and starting up some other game when I get back.  Until then, however, hail Arstotzka!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 28, 2017, 09:23:18 am »

Thank you, Ebbor.
Savin this expense credit seems like it could definitely work, though. But one day, out anti-magic bombs will blot out the sun.

Revision
5 - (Chiefwaffles)Revise Large-scale Plant Growth: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, RAM, Tyrant, Azzuro, Stabby
0 - (RAM)Summon water:

Credit
0 - (Chiefwaffles)Expense credit for Anti-magic bombs: Chiefwaffles
0 - (RAM) Myark:
5 - (Andrea) Save for next turn ship: Andrea, RAM, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Stabby, Chiefwaffles
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 28, 2017, 09:34:31 am »

Ebbor they are not a weapon for use againist regular soldiers. they are desgin to kill and stop MAGES who can wipe out entire Squads by themselves.

The Moskurgian Mages actually aren't that deadly. They have their lightning spell, but it only works half the time (do we know why, actually?), but I don't recall any other direct combat spell.

But yeah, it was more of an argument against the first proposal (convert to timed bombs), than against the latter. It carried over when it shouldn't have.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 301