Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing a Chess "Variant" Or Two(0/2)  (Read 798 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Playing a Chess "Variant" Or Two(0/2)
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:06:23 pm »

Because design games are all the rage, I threw up one myself. Here's how it goes:

1. At the start of the chess game, all pieces are positioned and named as chess standard. However, how they move and do stuff isn't...
2. Each player of this design game may choose one chess piece to define the moves and abilities of.

The end result: craziness?

Design Round 1:
Sir Lootington(King): Moves like a queen. In addition to this, Sir Lootington may create a rook of his owner's own color adjacent to him, though this has a 5-turn cooldown.
Wrecker(Queen): Moves like a queen. In addition to this, whenever Wrecker captures an enemy piece, Wrecker's owner may choose two enemy pieces adjacent to that enemy piece and capture them as well. Wrecker also has an ability with a 3 turn cooldown: making any square impassible(no piece can move through or onto that square) for 2 turns.
Shover(Bishop): Moves up to 3 squares horizontally or vertically. Cannot capture pieces of any kind, but can push them: when a bishop would move into a square occupied by a piece, the piece is displaced according to which direction the bishop was moving, that is, in the same direction.
Portal Jumper(Knight): Can move anywhere a normal knight could move in exactly two moves.
Vinci Tank(Rook): Can only move 4 squares horizontally or vertically instead of a normal rook's seven, but has an ability with a 3 turn cooldown that lets it capture any enemy piece within a standard rook's movement range, without even moving.
Scout(Pawn): Captures one square diagonally forward as normal, but can move 1 or 2 squares forward at any time. If a Scout moves 2 squares forward, and there is a piece in the way, the piece gets jumped over.

Play Round 1:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:13:31 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: Designing a Chess "Variant" Or Two
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:10:01 am »

I'll be player 1.

Sir Lootington(king): Has the ability to create 1 rook every 5 turns, and can also move like a queen can.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:07:34 am »

What, does nobody here play chess? Fine, I'll do one.

Shover(Bishop): Moves up to 3 squares horizontally or vertically. Cannot capture pieces of any kind, but can push them: when a bishop would move into a square occupied by a piece, the piece is displaced according to which direction the bishop was moving, that is, in the same direction.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:41:56 am »

Portal Jumper(Knight): Can go anywhere its' natural movement could take it in 2 maneuvers.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:27:48 am »

Scout(Pawn):act the same as normal pawns attack wise, but can move 2 spaces forward at any time, skipping over a piece in front.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 03:40:34 pm »

Wrecker(Queen): Can capture one piece and any two adjacent pieces at once. May render one square impassable for two turns every 3 turns.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 04:01:27 pm »

Vinci Tank(Rook): Half the movement of a normal Rook, but every two or three turns may perform a ranged cannon strike destroying-capturing-an enemy piece within a standard Rook's movement range.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:03:08 pm by Slick »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:13:57 am »

Wrecker(Queen): Can capture one piece and any two adjacent pieces at once. May render one square impassable for two turns every 3 turns.
Does it move the same way a normal queen does?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »

Does it move the same way a normal queen does?
Yeh

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 03:13:13 pm »

Okay, who wants to play a round of this chess "variant" and tremble at the sheer unbalancedness it displays?