Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help in making cover or over helmet  (Read 532 times)

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help in making cover or over helmet
« on: March 07, 2017, 09:09:09 am »

i try to create some kind of visored helmet over/covering the original dwarf fortress helmet.
but the helmet always replacing each other never in the layer even when i change it to LAYER:OVER and LAYER:COVER even the LAYER:ARMOR and i already include METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS before with armorlevel:2 and armorlevel:3 and still nothing change.
 so can you guys tell me what mistake in it? also what purpose is [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]? wiki say it increase one level of armor so does it mean like it make ARMORLEVEL:2 being considered ARMORLEVEL:3 ?what happen if it already ARMORLEVEL:3? will it turn back zero ?

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_PLATE_HELMET]
[NAME:Close Visored Helmet:Close Visored Helmet]
[ARMORLEVEL:3]
[SHAPED]
[LAYER:OVER]
[COVERAGE:300]
[LAYER_SIZE:30]
[LAYER_PERMIT:30]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[HARD]
[METAL]
[BARRED]
[SCALED]
[SHAPED]

[ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM]
[NAME:helm:helms]
[ARMORLEVEL:1]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[SHAPED]
[LAYER:ARMOR]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:30]
[LAYER_PERMIT:20]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[HARD]
[METAL]
[BARRED]
[SCALED]
[LEATHER]
[SHAPED]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:19:04 am by Hiul »

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: help in making cover or over helmet
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:20:30 am »

Only 1 [SHAPED] piece of armor is allowed per body part.  Remove [SHAPED] from the new helmet.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:38:42 am »

remove both or only one ? but when i try it on turban it can be wear over helmet.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:29:54 pm »

remove both or only one ? but when i try it on turban it can be wear over helmet.
this is somewhat normal (and actually helpful if you read about armor).  if you want to "fix" that, tweek the permit and layer size (i suggest reversing the values on the two helms).

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 01:07:00 pm »

it work now,im not sure is my visor considered as on the outside layer of the helm or the inside one. is mine reverse?
still want to know more about [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS] though
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:17:48 pm by Hiul »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 05:07:52 pm »

METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS adds one armor level if the item is made from metal, with a maximum total of 3. Armor levels are only used for deciding which armor is put on which entity-generator characters, with each level up being a wealthier kind of soldier. This is so that leather boots will have armor level 0, and metal boots armor level 1.

For the over-helmet, you need to make it have a higher LAYER_PERMIT than the default helmet, and anything that can be worn under that. That means that if the default helmet is worn on top of a cloth cap or whatever, you will need a layer_permit higher than 30. LAYER:BLAH decides which items are worn on top of other items, the order this seems to be in UNDER, OVER, ARMOR, COVER. Entities seem to have trouble picking sensible armor combinations when there is no armor on the ARMOR layer.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:49:41 pm »

oh... i get it now thanks  :)

for the LAYER_PERMIT you mean it also count the accumulation right? something like this ? [LAYER_PERMIT:50] to my visor, so whatever under the helm can be worn too right?