Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 5139 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Movie Thread
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:04:02 am »

Discuss movies!

Here are a few rules:
  • Anything that could spoil a plot element of a movie should go in a appropriately marked Spoiler.
  • NSFW pictures from a movie should be marked as such, and it can only be Dwarf Fortress level NSFW, not the other kind. The previous rule also applies.
  • If someone posts a thread specifically for a movie, and the link is posted here, discussion for that movie(s) is to move there.
  • No non-movie related discussion.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:21:23 am by MoonyTheHuman »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 11:15:53 am »

waddap movie thread ptw
80s was the best decade for horror movies. Wondering though, what are some kino modern horror films? Babadook was a nice gem. Really spooked my bones

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 11:43:23 am »

Speaking of 80s horror movies reminds me that Alien: Covenant will be released soon.  Alien was 1979.  That's close enough to the 80s.

I'm not holding my breath on it being good after Prometheus happened.  Especially after some leaked plot elements I've read that hopefully won't be in the final movie, but we'll see if those end up being false.

Guess I'll see it in theaters anyway, with significant trepidation.  I barely bother to see movies in theaters anymore because most that I've seen ended up being disappointing.  Independence Day: Resurgence, for example.  Or Prometheus.  Or Master of Disguise.

Wait, no, I think I rented that one.  Still, I'm about 80% sure Master of Disguise killed my enthusiasm for movies in general.  It was like a special moment in my early teen years where I realized that a movie could actually be bad and that commercials could lie.  Before that I think I assumed nobody would spend that much money on something that was bad.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 11:51:16 am »

After Prometheus, there's no chance I'd see a new alien movie in theaters. There's only been four good Aliens products, Alien, Aliens, the light gun game, and Colonial Marines. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:54:31 am »

Really recent one is Get Out, which was really good, though not necessarily what I'd call your usual horror movie.
Just looked at the RT and the reviewers there gave it 99%. Now I don't pay attention to what the critics rate because they're usually full of shit, but I must say at the very least the unanimity of the critics has me intrigued. This in particular:
Get Out has its surface scares, but it's what's lingering beneath that's most frightening: the sense that no matter where you turn, no matter how many people claim they're on your side... they're out to get you.
Got me hooked. Sounds like a dank horror premise, also reminds me of an ancient Greek dude talking shit about one of his colleagues Mennon; Mennon always stole from his friends and not his enemies, because his enemies were always on their guard around him.

Oh! Forgot to mention, Don't Breathe. This is the only other horror kino I know of that's recent.

Babadook - without spoilers, I'd describe it as a psychological or supernatural horror that will be especially entertaining to anyone familiar with the stresses of single motherhood. The consequences can be that things fatally fall apart, and one remains haunted by memories of the past. 'Why can't you be normal?' The less is said the better. Ba ba dook dook dook, damn that character design was so good - I couldn't sleep with my wardrobe doors open, for the shadow of my coat gave the impression of Babadook!
Don't Breathe - In a horror movie an antagonist is usually something the protagonists can't fight. An immortal monster, an incorporeal force or perhaps their own mind, but in Don't Breathe the antagonist is a blind old man who can't even see the protagonists. There's no good guys or bad guys in Don't Breathe, it's just all the characters stuck in a decaying town left behind by the times, trying to claw their way out with any cash they can find. Things take a turn for the worse when it turns out the blind old man was a war veteran. As you might guess from the title, any sound is a dangerous thing - the moments of silence will have you holding your breath.
It's very worthwhile remaining ignorant of the plot, as the penultimate reveals are definitely surprising in the best ways.

Speaking of 80s horror movies reminds me that Alien: Covenant will be released soon.  Alien was 1979.  That's close enough to the 80s.
I'm not holding my breath on it being good after Prometheus happened.  Especially after some leaked plot elements I've read that hopefully won't be in the final movie, but we'll see if those end up being false.
Guess I'll see it in theaters anyway, with significant trepidation.  I barely bother to see movies in theaters anymore because most that I've seen ended up being disappointing.  Independence Day: Resurgence, for example.  Or Prometheus.  Or Master of Disguise.
Wait, no, I think I rented that one.  Still, I'm about 80% sure Master of Disguise killed my enthusiasm for movies in general.  It was like a special moment in my early teen years where I realized that a movie could actually be bad and that commercials could lie.  Before that I think I assumed nobody would spend that much money on something that was bad.
I think the last time I went to a cinema to see a film was the Grand Budapest Hotel - which was not a film I expected to see, and was one that pleasantly surprised me in all the best ways. Still, I get that, in that I rarely watch a film I can't get on box office or sky or something, hell, in the vast majority of blockbusters even if you paid me to watch them I'd decline because they're so uninteresting. Seeing films with no hype, I leave with no disappointment, only the feeling that I wasted my time. And FFS enough with the capeshit origin stories D:

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:49 pm »

I was pleasantly surprised with Get Out, at first the movie gave me the "unsubtle edgy social critique" vibes, then it stole my attention with a psych (literally) horror plot that only became more and more fucked up as moved towards the ending. My only real critique of the thing is that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 12:33:06 pm »

I'm not really a horror aficionado.  They're either OTT shocking (and I'm not a fan of extreme roller-coasters) or OTT possibly-unintentionally-laughable, those that I've seen. (For the latter, I shall mention Wishmaster.) Which means I haven't tended to deliberately see many of them, so probably just missed the good ones that maybe I would like.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 09:52:42 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 10:51:27 pm »

That's an Alien movie? Those jackasses were granted five minutes of my time to convince me it was worth watching, and succeeded in convincing me it was what I refer to as "scifi for old people": Nothing-happens-but-we-whine-about-relationships-and-philosophy movies like Interstellar, Tomorrowland, or Solaris. I totally missed that the Alien part of the title was that Alien; I thought they were just going to bitch about Christ IIIIIIIIIIIIN SPAAAAAAAAAAACE.

They fucked up, is what I'm getting at here. Actual filming is not marketing, but they done fucked up hard.

After Prometheus, there's no chance I'd see a new alien movie in theaters. There's only been four good Aliens products, Alien, Aliens, the light gun game, and Colonial Marines. 
In their defense: Prometheus was a step up from Resurrection and 3. Which is... not difficult, some might even say inevitable, but it's something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 10:52:42 pm »

That's an Alien movie? Those jackasses were granted five minutes of my time to convince me it was worth watching, and succeeded in convincing me it was what I refer to as "scifi for old people": Nothing-happens-but-we-whine-about-relationships-and-philosophy movies like Interstellar, Tomorrowland, or Solaris. I totally missed that the Alien part of the title was that Alien; I thought they were just going to bitch about Christ IIIIIIIIIIIIN SPAAAAAAAAAAACE.

They fucked up, is what I'm getting at here. Actual filming is not marketing, but they done fucked up hard.

In their defense: Prometheus was a step up from Resurrection and 3. Which is... not difficult, some might even say inevitable, but it's something.

Resurrection and 3 never happened.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:57:27 pm »

Resurrection and 3 never happened.
This is also true.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 12:13:54 am »

The 80s was also a great time for sci-fi, woooo!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 12:25:05 am »

Prometheus was just short of greatness in the most frustrating way. It seemed more like a game where there were a bunch of mostly unrelated quests that led back to the main area.

BUT...

Fassbender fucking killed it as the android. Holy shit, he was amazing.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 12:50:16 am »

Lately I've watched a few films. Ashby and Girlfriend's Day I watched with my mother.
Worked well because both had enough sappiness to appeal to her, but also enough action and suspense to not make me fall asleep halfway. Also both had some great performances, especially from Mickey Rourke and Bob Odenkirk (who doesn't love that guy?).

Um, I can't remember all of the others I've seen. Oh yeah, I watched Green Room which was pretty fun. And The Good Neighbour may not have been the most amazing film, but it did an excellent job of keeping me guessing. I guess I should recommend it to anyone looking for a horror/thriller.

Oh, and a while ago I watched A Scanner Darkly. That was actually amazing, I had no idea what to expect.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 05:05:40 am »

Prometheus could've been good if it wasn't populated by half-brained morons, every single fucking one of them. Almost every scene someone did something so utterly stupid that you had to question their capability of caring for themselves, let alone being the best in their field. Fucking idiots.

Anyways, in more positive news, John Wick 2 was superb, if you enjoyed the first one you'll enjoy this one is pretty much all I can say about it, it's good quality action movie stuff with a colorful cast doing well shot and directed action bits.

In other, also positive news, Logan is fucking amazing, unlike any big superhero movie to date and all the better for it. Easily the best Xmen movie to come out and instantly among my top superhero movies ever. It's the closest a movie of this kind has brought me to tears (and I think I heard someone else in the theater crying, either way, don't think anybody was left ok after it) and it never felt forced. In fact, I think this is the most human this genre has gotten, it's not big action scenes with bigger than life people spouting idealistic nonsense at each other. It's a handful of broken people trying to get by in a world that's increasingly shitty for them, they just happen to be superheroes.

Seriously, I can't rave enough about it, just go see it yourself, it's my movie of the year already and if anything, I can't wait to see what Marvel does after seeing this, or if DC finally gets its head out of its ass and realises that this is how you do gritty grimdark movies and not whatever the fuck BvS was.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: [1] 2 3