Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Forsaken's Interactive Stellaris LP - 1 day until launch! [staging thread]  (Read 11294 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Hey guys. The race type poll is closing Thursday and right now Avian and Fungoid are tied.

In the meantime I'm opening a new poll for Government Authority!

In the 1.5 'banks' update they're changing the way you create your government. Now you choose an authority level and 2 accompanying Civics. Since I do not have a list of Civics yet I can't have you guys pick those. It's likely I will pick those on the day we launch based upon how we build the government. What you can pick is the level of authority the government has over the people!

Government authority in 1.5 is one of 5 levels, although I am disallowing the 'hive mind' level as it wouldn't fit with the style of this LP. I'll probably do another LP later on as a hive. The other authority levels are Democratic, Oligarchic, Dictatorial and Imperial. This authority level combined with the chosen Civics determine how the government will function. Mechanically the authority levels affect how rulers are chosen, which directly affects how often the empire's ethics may change and the stability of the government.

Democratic: A ruler is democratically elected every 10 years.
Oligarchic: A ruler is elected every 40 to 50 years.
Dictatorial: Rulers are elected but rule for life.
Imperial: Rulers rule for life and are succeeded by appointed heirs on death

So hit this poll and make your choice. Feel free to expand upon your choice here and describe how you'd like to see the government play out.

https://strawpoll.com/a712daz

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Voted for Imperial, just for Maximum CKII. Dictatorial seems weird, like its a terrible compromise between democracy and dictatorship that will undoubtedly lead to revolt once the people get a taste for elections but no chance for them. Also I voted for molluscs, but if it still ends up tied between avian and fungoids change my vote to fungoids.

Make me planetary governor of the first colony you establish, please. What's the difference between planets and sectors?

United Forenia Forever!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Voted for Imperial, just for Maximum CKII. Dictatorial seems weird, like its a terrible compromise between democracy and dictatorship that will undoubtedly lead to revolt once the people get a taste for elections but no chance for them. Also I voted for molluscs, but if it still ends up tied between avian and fungoids change my vote to fungoids.

Make me planetary governor of the first colony you establish, please. What's the difference between planets and sectors?
Sounds good, and I'll keep your vote in mind as a tiebreaker.

The difference between planets and sectors... in Stellaris you have a certain number of 'core systems' you may control directly. Its a bit like CK2 demesne limit. This number can be raised through civics and other technologies. If you have more systems than this number under your direct control, you suffer some significant penalties due to corruption, logistical issues, etc and its generally not worthwhile. To counteract this you form a sector, which is a semi-autonomous governing body, and you assign star systems to this sector. The planets within this sector are automated and the sector AI will build them up for you. Sectors have a separate resource pool which you can decide how heavily you tax, and they have several options that set a general focus. You can have them build up economic production, mineral production, remain balanced, or focus on research. The sector also has options controlling whether it can colonize new planets within its borders, build space constructions, etc.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Race type poll will be closing tomorrow and right now it looks like Azzuro's contingent vote will push Fungoid over Avian. So far Imperial is leading in the Authority poll, so we might end up with imperialistic fungus. Good stuff. I'm still working out the best way to do ethics, probably I'll just have people suggest a few combinations and put those up on a poll.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll vote for Oligarchic and Fungoid. I want fungoid merchant houses scheming for power, uniting only to screw over the rest of the galaxy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I'll vote for Oligarchic and Fungoid. I want fungoid merchant houses scheming for power, uniting only to screw over the rest of the galaxy.
I really enjoy this idea of yours. :) As it happens, the poll for race type closes today so I believe we'll be going with Fungoids but Imperial is topping the authority poll right now. That will be open until Monday so its possible for it to swing, we shall see. If we don't end up doing Oligarchy I'll keep that in mind for the next LP.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As someone who is #teamfungus I'm looking forward to our shroomy galactic conquest!
I voted for Democratic to have lots of leaders come and go and perhaps cause more tension as we have to deal with a variety of different philosophies when it comes to leadership.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

As someone who is #teamfungus I'm looking forward to our shroomy galactic conquest!
I voted for Democratic to have lots of leaders come and go and perhaps cause more tension as we have to deal with a variety of different philosophies when it comes to leadership.
also fun! Though it would take quite a swing for anything to beat imperial at this point. We shall see!

I do have a human LP planned later on that would fit that though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So Fungoids have beat out the other racial types in the poll and it's looking as though we're going to be running an Empire as well. Any thoughts as to Ethics and general outlook? Are we benevolent fungal overlords concerned with our citizen's happiness? Are we iron-fisted tyrants? Are we some kind of parasitic fungus that can only eat other living creatures?

We could even fold in Rubberduck's idea, playing the race as a loose collection of powerful merchant families and trading guilds led by a single powerful figure. Something like the houses of the Dune series who bow to the Emperor but enjoy some autonomy within their own domain.

In case you're not aware, ethics operates on several different axes:

Authoritarian/Egalitarian - This axis represents the general concern with the needs of the state vs the needs of the individual. An authoritarian regime can institute slavery or caste systems and believe in hierarchial rule while egalitarian ideals promote individual rights and equality.

Xenophile/Xenophobe - This axis represents how alien beings are treated and perceived. A xenophobe culture promoted distrust and hatred of aliens, to include possible enslavement, purging, or consumption. After all, if you don't consider them people then why not eat them? Xenophiles instead embrace the differently-origined and attempt to get along with their fellow alien.

Militarist/Pacifist - Represents the population's tendency towards peace or violence as a solution to life's problems.

Materialist/Spiritualist - This axis represents the overall belief or disbelief in the supernatural, unexplained, or mythological. Spiritualist empires tend to be happier and can access psionics while materialists take the world as it appears to be and usually enjoy some research bonuses. This axis affects the outcome of many random events and encounters.

In Stellaris you can choose 3 points worth of ethics, and each axis has 4 choices, from Fanatic (x) to (x) to (y) to Fanatic (y). So you might, for example, be a Fanatic Authoritarian, Militarist empire or a Materialist, Pacifist, Xenophile. The choice is yours. These ethics will affect what ethics your population express and which political factions will show up. They can also change over time, depending on the emperor and the actions of the  empire and neighboring governments. Constant attacks from alien species will make more of your population xenophobic, for example.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:52:53 pm by forsaken1111 »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Xenophile Authoritarian... Spiritualist? I'm not sure on the last, but I want to see us unify the galaxy under our glorious fungoid emperor. All shall love us and despair! I'm leaning towards Spiritualist for the idea of psionic fungi, but could go for another ethos as well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Xenophile Authoritarian... Spiritualist? I'm not sure on the last, but I want to see us unify the galaxy under our glorious fungoid emperor. All shall love us and despair! I'm leaning towards Spiritualist for the thought of psionic fungi, but could go for another ethos as well.
Something like the Void Lurker from Dominions 4?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We carry out its will and all shall bathe in its twisted light!

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can dig spiritualist authoritarian. Could also double down and be strongly spiritual.

Militaristic shrooms could also be fun.

One point authoritarian, two points militaristic could be hilarious.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Fanatic spiritual and Authoritarian would be interesting. We see beyond this world and know what is best for you. Trust us.

Authoritarian/Fanatic Militarist would be some crazy imperialist subjugation.

Both good options. I wish I had a list of the civics available in the next patch, would make it easier to narrow this down

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Xenophile Fanatic Spiritualist. Spooky mind-controlling fungi FTW.

United Forenia Forever!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Xenophile Fanatic Spiritualist. Spooky mind-controlling fungi FTW.
"We are one with the Void, the Void is with us. You will be one with the Void as well, in time." I enjoy the idea of spooky slightly-mad evangelical fungus. They show up with an odd light to their eyes and speak only in song, singing in harmony with themselves somehow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5