Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall  (Read 39669 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 09:41:09 am »

That video pushed me to play it again with those mods.

I forgot how horribly hard those spiders could be on low levels characters, on the temple of dibella i joined in the far away region of Menevia (i decided to just ignore the Daggerfall main quest chain for this character run), after a couple of easy fetch quest "collect that painting from a friend in a tavern and bring it back" i got a quest to rescue someone lost in a dungeon.
So many save/reload due to those spiders when your character fail their paralyze resistance to their spells, but finally found that guy and took him back to the temple.

I hope some people will be able to complete their companion/mercenaries projects, it would be very interesting (and such a refreshing novelty in Daggerfall) to be able to bring more people with you on your adventures, especially with mods like Warm Ashes

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 09:55:01 am »

It actually looks quite decent.  :D

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 10:26:26 am »

That video pushed me to play it again with those mods.

I forgot how horribly hard those spiders could be on low levels characters, on the temple of dibella i joined in the far away region of Menevia (i decided to just ignore the Daggerfall main quest chain for this character run), after a couple of easy fetch quest "collect that painting from a friend in a tavern and bring it back" i got a quest to rescue someone lost in a dungeon.
So many save/reload due to those spiders when your character fail their paralyze resistance to their spells, but finally found that guy and took him back to the temple.

I hope some people will be able to complete their companion/mercenaries projects, it would be very interesting (and such a refreshing novelty in Daggerfall) to be able to bring more people with you on your adventures, especially with mods like Warm Ashes

I picked Immunity to Paralysis during character creation and it has made life so much easier. I'll just live with the slow skill ups.

The mod I'm hoping for is one that puts the 3D dragon back in the game. His textures were in the original but he was never implemented.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 10:52:50 am »

I wish i would have taken this paralysis immunity, they're such a (lethal) pain at low level.

Noticed some people talking about trying to make the unkillable immobiles NPC actually killable.
That would join what was one of the original Daggerfall plan, with politics, a system of wars and power struggle with regions and change of governments when the nobles leading were killed , incredibly ambitious but sad this original plan was just dropped and we ended with no such amazing features and unkillable immobile npc.
But if modding can revive this , it would sure make Daggerfall incredibly better.

The Warm Ashes mod actually implement some kind of allied and enemies castles sieges, i just ran in a quest that was leading into a dungeon set as a castle and when i approached apparently this castle had been taken by orcs.
They sallied out and threw a dozen of basic orcs to attack me, when i miraculously (i'm only level 2) managed to survive this onslaught with the moving backward - slashing old tactic , i came back to that castle and despite their surprise at me being still alive, they sallied out again with basic (and ranked orcs this time) and opened their beast cages.
Beast in that situation were 4 or 5 spiders !

The less i can say is that i reloaded :D

With this mod system, Daggerfall Unity has an insane potential.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:56:57 am by Robsoie »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2019, 11:14:33 am »

Now I'm definitely going to play that tonight! And that modding support seems really tasty, something new to dive into after beating and reviving id game engines for so long.

Spiders are still a minor annoyance compared to vampire ancients that appear only after a few level ups tho.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 12:03:11 pm »

with my old decades old daggerfall tactic of killing everyone dead :D (well just moving backward while swinging weapon until enemy is hit, wait until enemy catch up and resume until he's dead or i let him catch too much and he kills me, all with a hundred of save/reload :D , it's more tedious with the "advanced combat" AI enabled in the option as sometime the AI move back and wait before resuming attack) i managed to defeat the 2nd wave of orcs defenders.

Those hard battles gave me some nice armor (well much better than i had, as i didn't created a custom class and battlemages have serious amount of forbidden material/armor type sadly, that nice elven plastron :( ) and even got a magical mace, no idea what is its magical power tough (probably need to bring it for identify) out of looking cool with lightning .
Oh and money+loot to sell in town :)

After another save i went back to the castle but this time it looks like they were out of orcs troopers and those nasty spiders

Well, it wasn't really better as it's a high level orcs with some sergeant orcs as bodyguards, i'm in no way ready for that as after a hundred of strikes it became obvious my current weapon and my low level would never allow me to actually hurt their boss that can one shot me without problem (the sergeants probably i could deal with as i killed one in the 2nd defenders wave)
Good i kept a save before approaching the castle for the last time, will have to level up a bit more before coming back :D

EDIT
oh boy that was evil from the mod maker :D
As i ran to town in order to heal (the travel did it fortunately) and sell my loot , i purchased a better weapon (in term of damage as the magic mace while probably good had by default less damage than the long sword i bought, and my character skills are better with long blade anyways).
Then i was walking a bit around the small town i was in, identifying the buildings around when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:o

Noticed immediately that no guard was interested to help, and neither the orcs interested in a carnage on the civilians sadly (i hope there will be a mod for that at some point as it's rather immersion breaking)
But instead of running away (fortunately my character running skill allow me to run faster than the enemy so after a distance i could just fast travel somewhere else, i decided to test the old tactic as it was a town, so with the wilderness around there's no blocking like in a dungeon and i had a more damaging weapon (even if not magical).

And after the usual lots of save/reload, it actually worked every orcs were dead.
Unless i missed one somewhere stuck in the village (though i never found him) there was no message acknowledging the orc army destruction, unless that modded quest is bugged, no idea.

Lot of fun to rediscover Daggerfall with those mods
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:47:54 pm by Robsoie »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 01:43:20 pm »

I tried to do a proper playthrough of Daggerfall once when I was using a potato computer. I eventually stopped, since my PC was just that terrible. I've tried DF Unity with my current Computer, though, which is fun to mess around in.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 01:47:57 pm »

For those interested in the difference (gameplay and bugs fixed) between old Daggerfall and the Unity version of it :
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1662

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 04:16:39 pm »

I forgot how brutal those imps in Privateer's Hold can be. Just got one-shotted by one.

Gotta adjust the mods, they're making load times awfully slow, but that's also due to my weak HDD.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 04:19:39 pm »

Bats are the bane of my existence. Even at level 4, it seems like they can hit three times in a row and take a huge chunk of my health.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 04:37:38 pm »

New to daggerfall unity is monsters infighting in dungeons
bats&rats are of the same faction, but get them near a skeleton, and they're going to battle

by the way i noticed the grass mod increase loading time a lot, so i disabled it.

I found another castle that had been filled with nasty orcs.
But this time i decided to not run away before the 3rd wave as i had a weapon good enough (and much better long blade skill than before) to sometime actually hit the orc warlord.
Still using the backward + striking tactic though as my character is still only level 2 it would be suicide to do anything else considering the amount of enemy rushing at you.

And it worked to the end and the orc warlord was defeated, this time it displayed a quest ending message and i got a very lot of money out of it (9000 something ! ), and even better i found a dai katana (the best damaging 2 handed "long blade" type) made of elven material (so very usefull on nearly every kind of enemies as some are immune to normal metals) on the corpses when looting every orcs.

With that nice weapon i got some confidence and got into the dungeon nearby, had the pleasant surprise to see a big room with a skeleton and 3 bats ! pleasant because the bats and the skeletons decided to assault each other (if they didn't i would have run away, this situation was a death sentence for my level 2 guy), while i could strike them from behind while they were busy.

Later in the dungeon i ran into
Fortunately it hadn't noticed me (as it's very very fast)

The less i can say is that i ran extremely fast to the exit :D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:46:10 pm by Robsoie »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2019, 05:15:37 pm »

Only an ancient lich is worse than the vampire ancient, and only because of that instant nuke in your face. Actually, since they can nuke themselves, maybe the va is more formidabble? Super fast, paralysis and shock at the same time + high physical damage.

I'm going to try with disabled grass.

You already had such an awesome adventure while I'm about to restart a character because I forgot one thing - it was an undead hunter character and I forgot to give him a bonus against undead! Privateer's Hold, here I come again!

EDIT: Lucked out early on and looted an elven longsword and an elven daikatana, then had an epic 5 minute battle with a skeleton until an orc decided to join in and kill me. Fast forward, I'm now in Gothway Garden, I'll sell loot there and see what to do next.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:30:08 pm by Dark One »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2019, 06:57:35 pm »

Looks like the Daggerfall Unity dev really understand the pain of Privateer Hold with some character classes, as it has an option allowing to actually start a new character outside.

When i think in modern rpg the beginner areas are mostly easy... Privateer Hold was really hard for a level 1 character, (and hell on earth for some classes that are weaker in the beginning), and the game started you trapped inside :D

I remember back in the day how much time it took me to finally get outside, i was drawing plans as the ingame map was barely understandable (in D-U they added some indicator for your current position and the exit), i remember the last room i was simply sprinting, not even trying to fight (as the imp sometime one shotted you with his fireball), it is with the skeletons that i learned the backpedal and strike method of not dying fast.

Anyways, my battlemage has also joined the mage guild, as i really wanted that Recall and Levitate spell that are a must (recall with its previously dropped anchor allow you to teleport back into a dungeon exit, extremely good in some of the most convulated dungeons, and levitate mostly because i remember during the story going into some pre-made dungeons that had some area you needed to go only reachable when flying)

I also found funny that the quest i obtained from the quest giver in the mage guild i joined was located in ... Lysandus Tomb

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:59:53 pm by Robsoie »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2019, 07:02:23 pm »

Levitate is just extremely useful for dungeon navigation in general.

The real difference for me with the dungeon map was the increased resolution, and the option to turn upper floors invisible (hold mouse wheel while moving mouse). Now I can actually pick out landmarks instead of trying to see through a mess of grey/brown pixels.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2019, 07:12:37 pm »

I spotted an experimental option that could be interesting for some people, smaller dungeons :
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1689

the settings.ini can be found there :

Windows
C:\Users\Username\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity

Linux
/home/username/.config/unity3d/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Unity

Mac
/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Unity

note :
  Advantages
    Random dungeons for guild quests, etc. will be reduced to roughly the size of Privateer's Hold. This makes random questing faster and reduces chance of finding impossible block combinations.
    Some interior blocks are more complex than others so there's still lots of variability.
    New layouts are compatible with quest system as interior blocks should always have quest markers.
    The new dungeon is created from random border and interior blocks of the source dungeon so will be thematically the same style and use same texture tables as original.

Disadvantages
    If player is already inside a dungeon subject to this change, you'll probably be dropped into the void. Please ensure your character is outside before toggling this setting.
    If you have quests targeting a random location, they may no longer be functional. Best to clear your active quests before toggling this setting. Main story quests should be fine provided they aren't currently targeting a random dungeon.
    Unforeseen issues might result from this change. Please consider it experimental only. Feature may or may not become part of Daggerfall Unity 1.0. It might evolve into something else or be cut completely.

edit : and i like that quality of life improvement about the quests : you press L (or wherever you bound the Logbook function) , right click on a quest description and it automatically bring up the map and ask you if you want to travel there, no need to search for the location manually.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:17:53 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14