Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Idle Life of a Legendary Miner  (Read 1491 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Idle Life of a Legendary Miner
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

I have two legendary miners in my fortress and while they can cut through bauxite like butter when they put their minds to it, their routine seems to be: sleep, drink, eat, party, go on break, walk halfway across the fortress to dig out one block, and then go back to sleep.

In fact I don't think either of them has dug out more than 4-5 squares in the last year.

Finally, in recognition of their past contribution to the fortress, I have retired them from mining duties and given their picks to two aspiring peasants, who may not have the same level of skill, but do at least seem happy enough to get on with the job.

Lacota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Idle Life of a Legendary Miner
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Try making them bedrooms closer to the digging area. Dwarves hate commuting.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

A better idea would be to draft them into the military, if theyve been mining all their lives then theyll have some awesome attributes, and if you set them to unarmed they will attack with a pick in battle with legendary weapon skill.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Moron:
<STRONG>I have two legendary miners in my fortress and while they can cut through bauxite like butter when they put their minds to it, their routine seems to be: sleep, drink, eat, party, go on break, walk halfway across the fortress to dig out one block, and then go back to sleep.</STRONG>

How big is the distance? Dwarves are likely to take pauses quite often for drinking, eating, sleeping or having a break. How big is your fort, i mean, how many dwarves have you got? If you have a few peasants why not train them along with your miners? The more dwarves fullfill a certain job the faster it'll get done.

I recently trained a dozen new miners by digging out useless stone like orthoclase, microline and so one...

quote:
Originally posted by Hishan:
<STRONG>A better idea would be to draft them into the military, if theyve been mining all their lives then theyll have some awesome attributes, and if you set them to unarmed they will attack with a pick in battle with legendary weapon skill.</STRONG>

Problem is, if you let them sparr in the barracks, to give them some armor using skill, they will most likely kill all of your lesser experienced recruits quite fast and even your champions may be in danger of getting serious injuries.

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:11:06 am »

Problem is, if you let them sparr in the barracks, to give them some armor using skill, they will most likely kill all of your lesser experienced recruits quite fast and even your champions may be in danger of getting serious injuries.

This is where cage traps come in handy.  Catch some goblins, move them all to one cage, hook the cage up to a lever, and voila.  A real-life training opportunity for your ex-miners, with no chance of injuring your lesser military dwarves.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:57:09 pm »

Firstly, the problem getting them to mine is the parties. Remove all zoos, statue gardens, and meeting zones designated off wells (the ones from the i menu are fine, I think) and anything else they decide to have parties at. Parties right now are sort of broken, lasting forever and sucking up all your dwarves (idle or not). After removing party zones, the dwarves should mine just fine.

Second, as far as the military goes, go ahead and throw them in if you really want to - they won't hurt your champions (as long as the champions are legendary shield users) and the champions won't hurt them (legendary weapon use = little to no risk of causing sparring injuries). IMHO legendary miners are more useful then 2 more soldiers anyway so it's best not to recruit them.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:31:42 pm »

I have two legendary miners in my fortress and while they can cut through bauxite like butter when they put their minds to it, their routine seems to be: sleep, drink, eat, party, go on break, walk halfway across the fortress to dig out one block, and then go back to sleep.<P>In fact I don't think either of them has dug out more than 4-5 squares in the last year.<P>Finally, in recognition of their past contribution to the fortress, I have retired them from mining duties and given their picks to two aspiring peasants, who may not have the same level of skill, but do at least seem happy enough to get on with the job.

As your mining operations move throughout the fortress, so shall the homes of your miners. Cuts down on travel time immensely.

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 11:35:28 pm »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moron:
<STRONG>I have two legendary miners in my fortress and while they can cut through bauxite like butter when they put their minds to it, their routine seems to be: sleep, drink, eat, party, go on break, walk halfway across the fortress to dig out one block, and then go back to sleep.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How big is the distance? Dwarves are likely to take pauses quite often for drinking, eating, sleeping or having a break. How big is your fort, i mean, how many dwarves have you got? If you have a few peasants why not train them along with your miners? The more dwarves fullfill a certain job the faster it'll get done.<P>I recently trained a dozen new miners by digging out useless stone like orthoclase, microline and so one...
Attention defecit - Pyrorex cancels post: Shiny rocks!