Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ever been in a fight?

I've been in a fistfight, but nothing serious.
- 0 (0%)
I've been in a life-or-death fight.
- 0 (0%)
I've never been in a fight.
- 0 (0%)
I am MaximumZero, and I got in three fights this morning before breakfast.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2017, 08:55:24 am

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread  (Read 22953 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:17 am »

Also the various sprays and tazers count as ranged weapons.

Just thought of another, blow darts.

Also, do air powered guns count as non-gunpowder ranged weapons?

There's also nerf guns (which aren't actually weapons anyway), throwing knives, throwing axes/tomahawks....... thrown swords (that would be a desperation move anyway).... anything throwable.....

rockets? Anything thrown? I guess 'non-gunpowder ranged weapons' would have to be defined here.

Air-powered guns are non-gunpowder, to about 17j in most places, IIRC. After that, they're generally treated the same as a gun because they're just as lethal. Blowguns, slings, javelins, throwing weapons are all non-gunpowder ranged. Thrown swords are a silly thing.

Non-gunpowder ranged weapon is any device, implement, machinery, or combination thereof that does not use gunpowder, which can be used to kill or severely injure a human or similar large animal at greater than twice arm's length distance (like five feet) or more. Any device/implement/etc that is uses basically the same system as a gun except with a slightly different propellant (air guns at high powers, maybe a REALLY awesome water gun) can be counted as gunpowder ranged. Therefore, a crossbow would be non-gunpowder ranged, whereas a high powered air rifle or a revolver would be gunpowder ranged.

Pepper spray would technically be a non-gunpowder ranged weapon, as I'm positive you could kill someone with it. Same with a tazer.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2017, 10:37:59 am »

Thrown swords are a silly thing

After doing a tiny bit of research. Apparently not.

Not only is there historical context, but historical documents on how to throw a sword.

Then when someone actually tested it himself said he had an effective reach of about 10 feet throwing a longsword, as in lethal up to 10 feet. (Mind you, he, and the documents, throws it like you would a football or spear. When most people who try it in fiction, throw it like a Frisbee. If I am making any sense)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:40:04 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:35 am »

Thrown swords are a silly thing

After doing a tiny bit of research. Apparently not.

Not only is there historical context, but historical documents on how to throw a sword.

Then when someone actually tested it himself said he had an effective reach of about 10 feet throwing a longsword, as in lethal up to 10 feet. (Mind you, he, and the documents, throws it like you would a football or spear. When most people who try it in fiction, throw it like a Frisbee. If I am making any sense)

I suppose that even if it's an act of desperation or taking advantage of an opportunity (you still lose your weapon), you'd still want to know how to throw it right and do it well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2017, 11:37:39 am »

Typically someone never throws their sword if that would leave them unarmed.

Yet swords tend to be secondary or tertiary weapons... So usually they would have an alternative.

Though what I never thought I'd see... Is that quite a few people, in historical records, would actually throw their swords at the opponent and then run at them with a knife and shield. I mean I know that in a grapple a big sword isn't helpful... but... actually that is probably the explanation.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:39:53 am by Neonivek »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:12 am »

This makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. A big bastard sword is going to be useless in a cramped hand to hand battle, pressed shield to shield. A knife or dagger would be a lot more mobile and deadly in that context.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2017, 11:45:43 am »

Though what I never thought I'd see... Is that quite a few people, in historical records, would actually throw their swords at the opponent and then run at them with a knife and shield. I mean I know that in a grapple a big sword isn't helpful... but... actually that is probably the explanation.

Sounds like a good way to throw someone off balance from a defensive position, whether or not it hits them.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2017, 11:58:34 am »

A friend of mine recently attempted to demonstrate half-swording using a kitchen knife.
We were all unimpressed, and thankfully it had a bloodless crash-tackle conclusion.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2017, 01:02:04 pm »

Typically someone never throws their sword if that would leave them unarmed.

Yet swords tend to be secondary or tertiary weapons... So usually they would have an alternative.

Can you link to where you got that? Sounds interesting.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2017, 01:05:13 pm »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2017, 01:14:59 pm »

Also, shurikens. I know someone who managed to hit a flying bird with one.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2017, 01:23:49 pm »

Shurikens are like throwing knives that don't ever hit on the wrong side. Course, you gotta be careful so you don't slice your hands open...
He's fucking with us.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 21, 2017, 09:51:24 pm »

Don't forget atlatls and staff slings.
Trebuchets and catapults and ballistae if you wanna get into non-gunpowder artillery.

Flamethrowers? Doesn't use gunpowder.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2017, 03:11:32 pm »

Shit, flamethrowers count? My mom has a can of hair spray around somewhere, I guess I'll have to change my answer in the poll.

Anyway, I got a question for the gun-affine folks here: How hot do the chambers of various types of firearms get? Rifles, revolvers, assault rifles in their various modes...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2017, 03:28:53 pm »

Depends on a lot of things, chamber's specifically? Cook offs due to heat are a thing that definitely happens, but it's mostly restricted to certain sorts of designs.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2017, 03:35:53 pm »

I fired 100 rounds from my gun and the barrel and exterior of the chamber were just warm. Like 110f ish
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18