Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3468 3469 [3470] 3471 3472 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4157035 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52035 on: November 17, 2023, 01:53:59 am »

It's not. That's an illiberal right talking point to conflate all regulation as the same, aimed at vulnerable members of society.

Does NY have deposits for plastic bottles, or just aluminum cans? Maybe increase it instead, so picking cans and bottles is more worthwhile? Around here most of the litter seems to be discarded packaging instead of the returnable containers.

There was some sort of attempt to switch to a more biodegradeable or recyclable plastic or something for bottle containers in the past few years, is that involved? If a slow rollout has complicated recycing efforts that could impact littering by making recycling more a pain in the ass since it inherently already requires more effort already than tossing it.

There's also been some odd noises coming from New York in relation to the beverage industry lately, such as trying to ban energy drinks. I'd suspect there may be consolidatory beverage industry lobbying involved in the energy drink controversy. That seems to be what happened with the vaporizor scare to some degree, and that effort also seemed to be led from NY.

https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/products-ingredients-components/regulation-and-enforcement-non-tobacco-nicotine-ntn-products

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
------------

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52036 on: November 17, 2023, 02:02:48 am »

Well, if I were on a mission to erradicate guns from the country, I would find this way of suing a pepsi for people littering with pepsi products very similar to sueing into oblivion the gun companies that make firearms used in crimes.  It's no different really, so from a legal perspective, you'd have set the precedent.
One problem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Lawful_Commerce_in_Arms_Act literally exists to prevent that.

Like, not incidentally used for it, no, this was lobbied by the NRA twats and signed by dubya to prevent us from suing gun manufacturers, coincidentally just after the assault weapon ban was allowed to lapse.
This is not a signature.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52037 on: November 17, 2023, 02:34:27 am »

Pretty sure the ATF isn’t even allowed to use computers to track gun owners. It’s all paper.

Any records they do have on computers aren’t allowed to be formed into a database, and they can’t be searchable. It’s pictures of forms. Basically like they’ve boxed up the forms in a different way.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #52038 on: November 17, 2023, 02:51:52 am »

Any records they do have on computers aren’t allowed to be formed into a database, and they can’t be searchable. It’s pictures of forms. Basically like they’ve boxed up the forms in a different way.

This is the kind of thing I'd introduce if I was actively trying to increase the number of office shootings, because that sounds like one of the circles of Hell.

So much for imagining Sisyphus happy...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52039 on: November 18, 2023, 12:24:04 am »

This Colorado judge fears the retribution...
CNN's article
"A Colorado judge has ruled that former President Donald Trump “engaged in an insurrection” on January 6, 2021, but rejected an attempt to remove him from the state’s 2024 primary ballot, finding that the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban” doesn’t apply to presidents."

“After considering the arguments on both sides, the Court is persuaded that ‘officers of the United States,’ did not include the President of the United States,” she wrote. “It appears to the Court that for whatever reason the drafters of Section Three did not intend to include a person who had only taken the Presidential Oath.”
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52040 on: November 18, 2023, 05:06:52 am »

Now the next mf gets to rest on this sissy's juris prudence. Ladies and gentlemen: the most useless branch of society.
let

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52041 on: November 18, 2023, 05:55:40 am »

CNN's article

Did... did they forget to add a link to the decision text or is that not out yet? All the links seem to go back to other CNN articles from the ones I checked.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52042 on: November 18, 2023, 05:57:10 am »

It's a state court. It holds no precedential value outside Colorado. It's at best persuasive until a federal court chimes in.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52043 on: November 18, 2023, 01:28:23 pm »

A decision involving state primary eligibility and state ballot eligibility is by definition under the jurisdiction of a state court.

Without a federal law violation or an interstate commerce issue or another reason to remove to federal court then the issue remains with the state courts.
This is not a signature.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52044 on: November 18, 2023, 03:25:07 pm »

A state court decision matters within a given state. As far as the other 49 are concerned this might as well be spoken by Ralph Wiggum for all the legal meaning it has.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52045 on: November 18, 2023, 03:46:35 pm »

Plus, it was about whether he could be on THAT ballot in that state, and specifically it was about the primary ballot.

Judges have already pointed out that a primary is just some shit the party in that state sets up and does before they go through the relevant steps to put the winner of said primary on their actual ballot.

These cases have no relevance for the actual election, and a decision preventing him from being on the primary ballot is guaranteed to be appealed and likely overturned.

Like, a primary could involve people throwing darts at a bunch of names written on a wall and agreeing whoever has the most darts by their name gets nominated for the general election, and interference in that process is RIFE with openings for whiny snowflake crybabies to scream and shit theirselves until they get it overturned on appeal.

This is actually a better outcome than if the courts had tried to step in and screw with the primary process, especially given how THAT isn't remotely covered by any reasonable interpretation of the 14th.

Granted, the colorado court used a really dumb reason to punt on it, and I would not be surprised if that ends up getting appealed based on their obviously incorrect argument that a president isn't an officer or office holder under the 14th.

THAT sort of argument might offer a reason for a federal court to pick up an appeal, though I doubt it would go anywhere until the state cases play out.

Edit: apparently some are saying it looks like they did the fact finding and made the decision they did specifically so it could be appealed at a higher court for a more solid outcome by reversing the dumb part I mentioned?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 06:55:49 pm by Maximum™ »
This is not a signature.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52046 on: November 18, 2023, 10:49:10 pm »

So...
Here is the link to the case's pdfs.

From the court's 102 page final order:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When the judge wrote "whereas the Presidential oath is to “preserve, protect and defend” the Constitution", I wonder if she enjoyed the irony of knowing that Trump posted "A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution, ...” back in Dec 2022.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52047 on: November 21, 2023, 07:34:58 am »

So Argentina just elected an ancap President. He wants to abolish the central bank, addopt the US dollar, slash the government to its bare minimum skeleton, legalise trade of weapons and organs and cut trade deals with Brazil & China. On top of inheriting an economy in crisis, politics divided and corrupt, he's going to have a rough time. Not least because he's likely to fail, and if he succeeds, Lord help whoever has to survive in an ancap state.

On the bright side, his image consultant and (now a senator) was a professional cosplayer who still cosplays. She's a real human bean and it's been heart-warming seeing how she's tried to balance her hobby with her politics (she does her best to keep them separate). Argentinian media already accused her of being a prostitute/murderer which is just mean spirited tabloid shite. It should be enough to disagree with someone's politics without descending to playground insults

All in all Argentina is in such a dire situation that they must do something to pick themselves out of this pit. Idk if that's the time to do an ancap experiment on a national scale. Probably would've been better off trying to halt inflation or sort out the lack of economic opportunities for women

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52048 on: November 21, 2023, 08:34:17 am »

Ah yes, let's never mint currency ourselves again and adopt a foreign currency instead, I see he thought this through.
let

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52049 on: November 21, 2023, 09:19:11 am »

Adopting a foreign currency when your economy is in shambles.

What to do they plan on trading for that currency?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3468 3469 [3470] 3471 3472 ... 3563