Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3367 3368 [3369] 3370 3371 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242635 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50520 on: March 16, 2023, 01:43:27 pm »

I looked that up because of an anecdote I heard once, sort of a thought exercise on what chaos it could have caused had prehistoric humans stumbled on food sources that are rich in hormones, so I just wanted to check how common that might have been.
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50521 on: March 16, 2023, 01:47:18 pm »

Yeah, studies have shown that, at least for healthy people, those aren't even meaningfully absorbed. It's a non-thing.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50522 on: March 16, 2023, 02:10:28 pm »

I barely read it but the abstract does seem to mention that data on bioavailability is incomplete. In any case I doubt those animal hormones are exactly identical to human ones, I doubt they are all equally affected by stomach fluids, saliva etc, but maybe I'm stupid and it turns out they're all aminoacids or something like that, should it be that the stomach acid leaves nothing behind, then there is the question of precursors that might stimulate people with active relevant organs (as if I know where hormons come from) to produce more of the pertaining hormone.

With the complete shitshow that is knowledge about nutrition I really doubt that all of this has been settled.

I was just wondering how out of the norm it would be consume hormones. Aren't babypills just hormones?
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50523 on: March 16, 2023, 02:43:38 pm »

Testosterone as a supplement is common enough I get fucking snail mail spam about it, far as I'm aware estrogen or related stuff is bog standard use for a number of things, too. Hormone usage has been more or less completely uncontested as unusual or out of place except when it's used for gender affirming care, specifically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50524 on: March 16, 2023, 02:53:25 pm »

I mean, I don't think taking any kind of pills can ever be called "normal", in that it's not part of the normal biology of a human body.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50525 on: March 16, 2023, 03:14:08 pm »

Half the stuff you ate for lunch probably wasn't very normal for human biology either.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50526 on: March 16, 2023, 03:15:15 pm »

Eating stuff external to your body to make yourself feel better is so standard a behavior it's exhibited pervasively by non-humans, to the point a lot of our pharmacology got its start out of observing exactly that. It's part of normal biology for just about everything that has a biology.

Pills refine materials to (hopefully) maximize the benefits and minimize the detriments, but the basic behavior is incredibly standard among living things. If it ain't something you'd consider normal, your concept of normal is wildly out of whack.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 03:17:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50527 on: March 16, 2023, 03:28:09 pm »

Half the stuff you ate for lunch probably wasn't very normal for human biology either.
I mean, I don't really eat processed foods, but yeah, most things most people eat aren't. Not sure what your point is.

Eating stuff external to your body to make yourself feel better is so standard a behavior it's exhibited pervasively by non-humans, to the point a lot of our pharmacology got its start out of observing exactly that. It's part of normal biology for just about everything that has a biology.

Pills refine materials to (hopefully) maximize the benefits and minimize the detriments, but the basic behavior is incredibly standard among living things. If it ain't something you'd consider normal, your concept of normal is wildly out of whack.
You're just equivocating between "abnormal" and "there's something wrong with it". Pills that have to be manufactured in a factory halfway around the world and shipped to you at enormous energy expense are obviously abnormal, and qualitatively different from the prehistoric "eat some roots and grass and probably die anyway" correlate.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50528 on: March 16, 2023, 03:38:00 pm »

garble garble ninja slashes

I mean I have been thinking about diabetes recently that's why I even looked  stats about food at all, because I'm currently mildly more concerned about nutrition than usual.. If we're talking on a scale from pills to syringes to dialysis (again I think I understood insulin is actually a complex topic, and I know very little of it), pills are on the more "normal" end of the spectrum... ah whatever:

"has been more or less completely uncontested as unusual or out of place except when it's used for gender affirming care, specifically." seems to be a running theme

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 05:17:05 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50529 on: March 16, 2023, 03:48:01 pm »

and qualitatively different from the prehistoric "eat some roots and grass and probably die anyway" correlate.

Setting aside everything else, it's not like it's a binary step between medicine 10,000+ years ago and 50 years ago. Plenty of cultures used wholly natural ingredients for cures for a long time (and even still!) and while there are plenty of placebos or problematic ones there are also lots of quite legitimate and good natural medicines. (And yes, there are a fair few modern medicines that are basically just placebos and have their own problems, hah.) They're often not as good as the modern synthetic and/or refined pills, but still good and a fair few modern pills were derived from X plant harvested by Y group.

(And no I'm not talking about Chinese herbal medicines, I don't really know that field too well.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50530 on: March 16, 2023, 04:11:56 pm »

Setting aside everything else, it's not like it's a binary step between medicine 10,000+ years ago and 50 years ago. Plenty of cultures used wholly natural ingredients for cures for a long time (and even still!) and while there are plenty of placebos or problematic ones there are also lots of quite legitimate and good natural medicines. (And yes, there are a fair few modern medicines that are basically just placebos and have their own problems, hah.) They're often not as good as the modern synthetic and/or refined pills, but still good and a fair few modern pills were derived from X plant harvested by Y group.

(And no I'm not talking about Chinese herbal medicines, I don't really know that field too well.)
You're also not getting what I'm saying.

Zero of what you just said has anything to do with the point. The only point is that, from any biological or historical or cross-cultural perspective, chewing on roots or tree bark is the normal way to deal with problems, and popping pills, much less getting stabbed with a needle, is profoundly weird and unique.

Any statement about effect has nothing to do with anything, because "normal" is a totally separate axis from "good" and equivocating between the two is insane and fallacious.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50531 on: March 16, 2023, 04:34:19 pm »

Wait, you intended to say "eat some roots and grass and probably die anyway" in a good way? Edit: Actually I guess I see what you're saying, but in that case I'm not sure what point you're intending to make or maybe I wasn't following the conversation enough. Normal/abnormal is kind of an arbitrary distinction that doesn't mean much on its own.

Either way, they're all just chemistry. Plants have one sort, synthesis provides another sort. Some are naturally occurring, others aren't.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:37:16 pm by Dostoevsky »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50532 on: March 16, 2023, 05:51:43 pm »

There's fundamentally no difference between chewing bark/eating the right plants and taking pills.

Except the pills are a lot more likely to work and a lot less likely to kill you - the ingredients that are actually useful are concentrated to a known amount instead of the natural variation (it is literally impossible to know if many natural remedies will be to weak to work or powerful enough to cause a fatal overdose), and the many extra chemicals that cause bad side effects are absent. There are no virtues to natural medicine.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50533 on: March 16, 2023, 07:29:29 pm »

...but they keep saying that Natural Remedies are at least as good as commercial medicines but without any chemcals!

I demand my atomless remedies!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50534 on: March 16, 2023, 08:06:53 pm »

Eating bark or root to get one component of it in your body is a surefire way to die. Humans have been refining natural products for centuries, in ever increasing levels of effectiveness and purity. What you're selling is the naturalist fallacy. No one will disagree that modern refinement of anything introduces some bad with the good and has an environmental cost. But implying the good is negligible compared to doing something similar but radically unsafe is literally how people die following bad advice.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:16:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3367 3368 [3369] 3370 3371 ... 3568