Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3343 3344 [3345] 3346 3347 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231052 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50160 on: December 22, 2022, 01:54:59 am »

CW: extreme transphobic hatred

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50161 on: December 22, 2022, 08:00:53 am »

I disagree in the case of JROTC. Some young people plan to join the military after graduation and should have vocational training open to that life choice. They use air soft and pellet guns for training. However I would suggest that having an off campus location would be better, if that is not the current implementation and that it should absolutely be politically neutral. One common refrain of nonsense I heard many times from Trumpists was their delusion that "the army supports us". I'd rather this not be truth in 10-20 years.

How does this square with enrolling students in those classes without their consent? That's some straight up dystopian shit. If I were a parent, I'd be fucking outraged. I tried to open the NYT article read more but it won't load.

I agree that it shouldn't have placing unless it's elected into. I linked that article as well for that reason., sorry for not including that originally. Trade schools in highschool often come at a cost of not taking electives that assist in college acceptance and scholarships outside of the field studied as they utilize hours during school hours. The local JROTC was run at a local trade school with a class consolidated from area high schools, just as the other trade school classes were. The students took a bus from their high school to the trade campus in morning and afternoon shifts, forgoing electives to do so during those years (11 and 12 grade) which is when most of the advanced electives are available.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50162 on: December 22, 2022, 10:48:09 am »

I don't really know what to say. I just want to say that I read it and it's very worrying.

We've had an increase in people mimicking (directly drawing on) the worst parts of American anti-trans rethoric here in Sweden too this year, including an SD (the "ex"-neonazi party) guy making up an outrage over dragqueen library readings here in my little corner of the country.
Love, scriver~

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #50163 on: December 22, 2022, 04:41:20 pm »

Gonna be real, it's kinda surreal seeing people be worried about it now, after trans people saying exactly the same thing for over half a decade. Like, is it really that implausible until some non-trans person says it? Are we, who pays closer attention to this than any others, so devalued that a think tank saying it is worth more?

I've been making bug-out plans for about half a decade now, with red lines on when to trigger those major realignments of my life. Passports up to date, keeping my deadname and old gender marker on official government paperwork to avoid being on any list made by the government, working my way into the good graces of a company in another country so I could get a job offer and economic immigration elsewhere if needed, etc. Locally, it's been a year and a half since I was told, by someone at a trans meetup who works with trans kids, that nearly all the good families of trans kids that could afford it fled the state or were in the process of working out the logistics of doing so. A year since the state declared acknowledging a trans kid's gender or providing lifesaving treatment in accordance with all major medical association guidelines would be considered child abuse, and investigated accordingly. 6 months since learning that every trans person I know in Texas independently decided to flee the state in the next year or so; with my own plans to do so well underway.

Here's what's going on in Texas in the next year: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/11/texas-transgender-ban-drag-shows-criminalize-parents.html
Or revealed this week, seeking to make a list in precisely the way I was paranoid about over the past 5 years: https://www.kut.org/texasstandard/2022-12-20/texas-attorney-general-gender-drivers-license
There's bomb threats against healthcare facilities; aiming for similar terrorism campaigns as were enacted against abortion clinics: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-man-charged-threatening-boston-doctor-provides-transgender-care-rcna59946
And fascist attacks on power infrastructure: https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/08/us/power-outage-moore-county-investigation-thursday/index.html

It isn't preparation for genocide, it's well underway with things like bans on trans healthcare. And now, everybody that didn't bother to pay attention when we spoke are playing catch-up, realizing they have very little power to change things this late in the game without doing things they find uncomfortable.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50164 on: December 22, 2022, 05:38:33 pm »

One common refrain of nonsense I heard many times from Trumpists was their delusion that "the army supports us". I'd rather this not be truth in 10-20 years.
I mean, the reason the army didn't like him wasn't because they were too smart to see through his lies or their devotion to democracy was so rock hard that they would always oppose his coup attempts, it was because he was an asshole to them.

Literally all DT 2.0 has to do is say some nice things about the army and not insult war widows or call soldiers losers because they serve and he should have little trouble getting a high amount of support among the rank and file of the army for the simple reason that nationalism plays well with troops.

Him losing support because he's a jerk is especially ironic because DT has been the only president since Lincon who being popular with the army has actually mattered for because nobody else has been in a situation where military support actually matters.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50165 on: December 22, 2022, 06:38:47 pm »

Gonna be real, it's kinda surreal seeing people be worried about it now, after trans people saying exactly the same thing for over half a decade. Like, is it really that implausible until some non-trans person says it? Are we, who pays closer attention to this than any others, so devalued that a think tank saying it is worth more?

I mean, water is wet, but receipts get results. Hopefully.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50166 on: December 22, 2022, 06:47:50 pm »

It's maybe less of a "worth more" thing and more just extra kindling on the warning fire? Not so much more value as different audiences, which is just... helpful, generally. It hasn't just been trans people that's noticed that pattern for years now (more anyone with two eyes and even a basic exposure to the actual facts on the ground through any lens but the entrenched bigot), but it's easy to get insulated from that stuff, too, if you're not directly impacted or interacting with folks that are on the regular.

If reports like that help nudge awareness into bubbles it wouldn't normally interact with, then good? Hopefully, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50167 on: December 23, 2022, 09:19:33 am »

Gonna be real, its kinda surreal seeing the person who thought we should give the Taliban a second chance and accused the rest of us of being racists for not taking them on their word (how's that working out for you by the way? Funny how often you piping up here coincides with them going back another step further on that word of theirs) accuse other people of not taking them seriously. Personally, you've established yourself firmly in the group of people whose opinions are, quite frankly, hard to value.

What kind of ridiculously antagonistic person do you have to be to react to a person reacting to a summary report of terrible events with assuming it's some kind of eye opener or that they've never trusted a single person talking about these events before? You must be the type who reads book endings first because lord you're a master of jumping to conclusions. All I wanted to do was to make V feel like the link had been seen since it looked like it was at risk of being left behind in the ongoing JROTC discussion.
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50168 on: December 23, 2022, 03:56:36 pm »

Point of Order: Texas is BIG into Oil.
And now the US Government is hard into getting off the Fossil Fuel Crackpipe.
Texas is about to go to shit. Everyone should leave Texas.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50169 on: December 23, 2022, 03:58:31 pm »

Texas 'bout to secede from the Union AGAIN!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50170 on: December 23, 2022, 03:59:54 pm »

@scriver: I don't think anyone was directly talking to you, so knock it off.

Texas 'bout to secede from the Union AGAIN!
God Bless 'Em. This time, nobody's gonna stop them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50171 on: December 27, 2022, 01:56:16 pm »

Geesh. Sloppy. An embarrasment for the US military intelligence. And very dangerous for those affected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/27/technology/for-sale-on-ebay-a-military-database-of-fingerprints-and-iris-scans.html
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50172 on: December 27, 2022, 03:32:40 pm »

It is significantly less colorful and more banal than I was lead to believe Cyberpunk would be.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50173 on: December 27, 2022, 04:52:05 pm »

The general term that's been coined is "flaccid cyberpunk future". It's got basically all the fancy trimmings of cyberpunk, it's just... not erect. Y'know? At "best" we're the shitty backstory foundation just starting to get initial cyberware going, before it gets pervasive enough to be ubiquitous. Instead of fancy floating neon signs and ads piping through the matrix, there's an incessant stream of asshole push ad notifications to a device in your pocket.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50174 on: December 27, 2022, 05:18:57 pm »

If you decide to unionize your workplace, 1. good on you 2. do not for the love of god do it with the UAW.

Pages: 1 ... 3343 3344 [3345] 3346 3347 ... 3567