Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3260 3261 [3262] 3263 3264 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4233463 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48915 on: June 28, 2022, 11:41:21 am »

Yeah, currently we don't have state-sponsored domestic terrorism on the side of preventing authoritarianism. It says...something, I'm not entirely sure what but certainly nothing good, that the only answer that comes up in response to "how do we prevent authoritarianism" is "well, the government officials nominally opposed to authoritarianism has their hands tied, BUT here's someone trying to take matters into their own hands"

Sad reality is, at this rate it probably will come down to citizens in insurrection to change the current stalemate, either fighting to prevent authoritarianism or in active support of it. Either way means shit's going to go downhill, one way or another, though actually arguing these two actions are equivalent would definitely be an argument made in bad faith.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48916 on: June 28, 2022, 02:08:13 pm »

Uh no.

Citizens in insurrection just gives government MORE reasons to be authoritarian.

I'm not sure where that bright line is, but groups need to have both popular support and be more threatening in violence than actually violent.

Otherwise "our precious safety" will green light massive citizen oppression by the government.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48917 on: June 28, 2022, 02:27:07 pm »

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48918 on: June 28, 2022, 02:51:49 pm »

Yeah, currently we don't have state-sponsored domestic terrorism on the side of preventing authoritarianism. It says...something, I'm not entirely sure what but certainly nothing good, that the only answer that comes up in response to "how do we prevent authoritarianism" is "well, the government officials nominally opposed to authoritarianism has their hands tied, BUT here's someone trying to take matters into their own hands"

Sad reality is, at this rate it probably will come down to citizens in insurrection to change the current stalemate, either fighting to prevent authoritarianism or in active support of it. Either way means shit's going to go downhill, one way or another, though actually arguing these two actions are equivalent would definitely be an argument made in bad faith.

Reminds me of that one nutritionist book Skinny Bitch Itchy Flight always used to rave about.

No, I mean.  Insurrectionist activity kind of models after people in the end anyway.  I had to hear this tiffy recently about some liberal,  unmentioned, who recently heard the flabbergast, "These aren't hate crimes."

Looking over all of it, you start to realize a lot of these incidents are entirely displaced.  While excluding old time gangsters, traditionalists, criminals, and most looters, I'd say a lot of it can be dispersed over a proper geoform.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48919 on: June 28, 2022, 03:20:40 pm »

Quote from: NYT headline
TRUMP SOUGHT TO JOIN JAN. 6 MOB
Enraged, He Lunged for Limo Wheel, Aide Says
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48920 on: June 28, 2022, 09:03:50 pm »

Should have let him. His fat ass getting stuck climbing through a window would have slowed the mob down some more.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48921 on: June 29, 2022, 12:30:36 am »

The secret service agents involved have reportedly denied Hutchinson's claim, and are willing to testify under oath.

Source: Peter Alexander (NBC news)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:39:00 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48922 on: June 29, 2022, 12:48:17 am »

Look, I'm quite happy to see this investigation continue, but no source is less reliable than Trump's former White House Aides.
Their career path was basically: 1) Work for President Trump for one month. 2) Get fired. 3) Sell a Tell-All Book. 4) PROFIT!
...I feel like half of them got fired the first time they met President Trump.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48923 on: June 29, 2022, 12:55:07 am »

The secret service agents involved have reportedly denied Hutchinson's claim, and are willing to testify under oath.

Source: Peter Alexander (NBC news)

When they testify, this will be news of significance. Otherwise, it's just rumor-milling and discounting real testimony (you know. Like discounting a real election. Which this whole thing is about.) Leave that to the lawyers, Bumber.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48924 on: June 29, 2022, 01:51:03 am »

When they testify, this will be news of significance. Otherwise, it's just rumor-milling and discounting real testimony (you know. Like discounting a real election. Which this whole thing is about.) Leave that to the lawyers, Bumber.

Hutchinson heard it second hand, so it's hearsay testimony. Don't have to be a lawyer to know that would be inadmissible in a court of law.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48925 on: June 29, 2022, 07:55:15 am »

Last Monday, California AG Bonta (intentionally or not) doxxed every single CCW license holder in the state, and other firearm data in a "Firearms Dashboard Portal", purportedly for transparency reasons. The portal appears inaccessible to me now, but people reportedly were able to pull all kinds of data out of it, including full names, dates of birth, and addresses of CCW license holders.

Much like a prior NYC doxxing, I fully expect criminals to use this steal weapons, as well as for this data to now also be abused in conjunction with red flag laws.

Add this to the pile of reasons why firearms registries of any kind are bad ideas.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48926 on: June 29, 2022, 07:58:08 am »

Hutchinson heard it second hand, so it's hearsay testimony. Don't have to be a lawyer to know that would be inadmissible in a court of law.

Which I think is the point of them bringing the aide in to speak, it's to force the hand of several of the people who have so far refused to appear and testify under oath as to the events of Jan 6th. Hearsay isn't admissible in law but it brings political weight to get them into a position to give evidence that would be admissible.

Add this to the pile of reasons why firearms registries of any kind are bad ideas.

Nearly every country that allows its citizens to own firearms has one, and a similar leak could easily happen for the DMV or any license-requiring service if proper data protection isn't in place.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 08:08:20 am by MorleyDev »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48927 on: June 29, 2022, 09:50:59 am »

Or Uber. Grubhub. Doordash. Any place that stores your personal information is a risk. But I guess because it's guns, "it's a bad idea."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48928 on: June 29, 2022, 10:28:28 am »

Will my uber data be a reason for people to break into my home an steal from me like guns are?
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48929 on: June 29, 2022, 10:45:49 am »

Car registration means you have a car to steal. Tax shit betrays how much you have to steal, medical shit betrays how easy it is to steal from you... It's allways a minor catastrophe when the institutions mishandle info.

I don't think it is comparable in gravity in the private sector, you can be profiled and your data can be sold, but at least they don't loose shit that was mandatory to fill in, you could allways have chosen to refuse their services instead.

Completly irrelevant wether it's about guns or not.... If anything it's a deterrent not to break into those homes. Pile of reasons... when the gravitational pull is so high and the density is so immense I can feel myself age. Show me the last time somebody made use of their second amendment against tyrants... There is definitly no shortage of them. Your myths are cute and shit but when push comes to shove the gun won't be used that time it would matter... Nah it'll wait patiently for a domestic accident instead.

In conclusion: abolish the census I guess... idk idc... things don't have yo make sense anymore.
let
Pages: 1 ... 3260 3261 [3262] 3263 3264 ... 3567