Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3119 3120 [3121] 3122 3123 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202497 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46800 on: November 11, 2021, 02:50:54 pm »

Also, wasn't one of the guys Rittenhouse shot an actual Emergency Medical Technician? (Rittenhouse lied to reporters telling them he was a certified EMT when he was at the site.)

So what was he: an EMT or a looter? That fucking judge should face disciplinary review for how he's strangled truth in this case. IMO his conduct and jury instructions themselves are grounds for a mistrial without prejudice.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46801 on: November 11, 2021, 03:23:30 pm »

Judge is a bloody trip, yeah. Was today I think he sided with the defense when they claimed they couldn't zoom in on an ipad video or somethin' like that because Apple's AI would manipulate the footage. Defense spouting literal conspiracy theories, judge just like "yup, checks out". Gave prosecution 20 minutes to find an expert to dispute the claim.

Folks have noted that regardless of the merits or lack of them of the case, this entire fucking farce is just one of the best illuminations on how goddamn broken the US judicial system is that we've ever seen. Prosecution clownshoes, defense actually fucking insane, judge at least as off their rocker, all coming together to try to get a white supremacist off the hook for killing people while otherwise breaking the law.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 03:26:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46802 on: November 11, 2021, 03:29:21 pm »

Does anybody know if this is one of those elected judges the US sometimes has?
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46803 on: November 11, 2021, 03:33:55 pm »

Yeah, he is. Apparently been getting reelected for the last fifty years or something like that. Kinda' hard to get details due to the trail stuff drowning everything related to his name, so that might be off a bit, but yeah, he's an elected circuit court judge.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46804 on: November 11, 2021, 03:42:27 pm »

Welp. I hope he gets voted out.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46805 on: November 11, 2021, 04:04:03 pm »

/\ this.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46806 on: November 11, 2021, 05:37:44 pm »

Kenosha trial update:

"ENHANCE!" argument continues, going so far as to make the judge get off his chair and walk up to the 4K display, squinting.

And the judge allows it.

Earlier police expert is called in to testify that the image has not been altered by the zooming, and is shown on cross to be uncertain if there has been any alteration. As a software engineer who has worked with signal processing, I don't buy the prosecution's assertion.

And then, when the pictures are finally shown on the live feed, not only can you see that the image has been altered by some form of "lossless" method of zooming in, but the frequency of details that the prosecution is looking for is too damn close to the Nyquist frequency for the pictures to be reliable proof of anything.

On the first image, where the shooter is supposedly pointing a gun at Ziminski/Rosenbaum, you can't even see the gun because of the darkness, and the left arm isn't even visible on the original. The prosecution hasn't even brought in the Ziminskis to testify. For all I know, the little white splotch on the left of the shooter is light being reflected from the dumpster. Even if it is his left arm, the fact that you can't even see the gun could mean that the shooter is merely holding out his left hand with his palm out. You can't even tell the angle that a gun would be pointing.

The second image, I can't even tell what I'm looking at. The live feed commentators claim it may be a frame-averaged image, where you essentially take the average of multiple frames to reduce noise. One, I don't see how that would work with moving objects. Two, I don't see how that can't possibly not alter the image.

How the judge could have possibly allowed those images into evidence, I have no idea. Definitely grounds for a mistrial, IMO.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 05:51:54 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46807 on: November 11, 2021, 05:45:04 pm »

Sounds like everyone thinks there should be a mistrial, for very different reasons. This whole thing has been a shitshow.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46808 on: November 11, 2021, 06:12:53 pm »

They have been seeing much CSI it seems. Need to call Grissom to do a proper enhance.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46809 on: November 11, 2021, 06:39:13 pm »

I just noticed the prosecutor's bullshit.

In the first image, the black stripe doesn't resemble the strap the shooter wore. He wore a strap that had two black stripes, of equal thickness, on his back, each going encircling a shoulder. We even see in news photos of when he's crouching with the gun almost parallel to the horizon, that the black stripes should be be visible if we're looking at the shooter's back if the shooter was aiming. But in the photo, we see only one big thick stripe! Hell, the "enhanced" image shows the stripe going from the shoulder to across the body to the hip.

So we can't be looking at the shooter's back. We must be looking at the front, otherwise we should be seeing two black stripes, but we see only one. This would mean, that if the shooter was pointing the gun at Ziminski, he would be shouldering the rifle with his left shoulder.

But in all the footage presented, he has shouldered it with his right shoulder. You certainly wouldn't be able to quickly switch shoulders with the gun attached to the strap.

If the image is reliable, then the black stripe cannot be the strap. That's the gun! And it's aimed at the fucking ground!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46810 on: November 11, 2021, 06:58:20 pm »

Was today I think he sided with the defense when they claimed they couldn't zoom in on an ipad video or somethin' like that because Apple's AI would manipulate the footage.
That's, uh, a real thing. It really does use AI-based interpolation to fake higher resolution than really exists in the information.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46811 on: November 11, 2021, 07:22:58 pm »

Was today I think he sided with the defense when they claimed they couldn't zoom in on an ipad video or somethin' like that because Apple's AI would manipulate the footage.
That's, uh, a real thing. It really does use AI-based interpolation to fake higher resolution than really exists in the information.
ENHANCE
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46812 on: November 11, 2021, 07:36:19 pm »

ENHANCE
E N H A N C E

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46813 on: November 11, 2021, 07:51:59 pm »

I think the issue is that the defense provided no evidence of the claim (which does seem preposterous) and even admitted that he didn't know how it worked. The judge took it for granted and put the burden on the prosecutor to prove otherwise.

[edit: also the defense paints it like the AI or "logarithms" are going to add objects to the screen, rather than doubling the pixels up - hardly "manipulation"]

I'd say this is the right move, but handled poorly - the defense should have the benefit of the doubt in most matters, but this is also a bit silly. Clearly trying to toss out this piece of evidence with something the prosecutor couldn't have prepared for in the time allotted. If da_nang is right, this probably doesn't help the defense much anyway - arguably the zoomed in video would have been better for them to completely dismiss this rather than cast it in doubt.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:55:41 pm by delphonso »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46814 on: November 11, 2021, 08:06:50 pm »

It's all Apple's fault for making shitty cameras! Lets burn down Apple so this never happens again!

Pfff... removing the audio jack. They called this upon themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 3119 3120 [3121] 3122 3123 ... 3566