Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3040 3041 [3042] 3043 3044 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210306 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45615 on: July 14, 2021, 02:47:34 pm »

What about licensing certain firearms (and only those firearms) for hunting/animal protection use? I don't really have a horse in the gun debate race, but I'm interested in helping drive conversation. This is a reductionist example, but what if the Superbullet Mark X Bearmower line was the one that was allowed to be sold for hunting, etc?

Is the difference between (googles madly) Remington Model 870 and Winchester Model 12 so great that you must have a dozen options for hunting ducks? Googling "guns to hunt bear" brings up like, 20 models of gun. What about the (copypasting madly) Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan (.375 Ruger) and the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan (.375 H&H)? Will one get you killed and one kill the bear? Do we really need a massive gun industry in order to provide the tools that rural folks need?

TLDR: Maybe we can reduce the overall number of guns via reduction of the for-profit momentum behind the gun industry, while also ensuring that people who need firearms have access to them.

Quote from: HERES A MUCH MORE DETAILED EXPLANATION ON THE SHOOTING OF THE BEARS, AND THE BULLETS NEEDED TO DO IT WITHOUT GETTING EATEN YOURSELF = https://bit.ly/3r8R3GR
Depends on the bear. Could it injure the bear? Absolutely it could if you hit the bear since injury is a pretty broad term. With a American black bear yeah it could if you shot it enough times since they’re considerably smaller than most other bears. Could it kill a grizzly? Once again yes but it’s going to have to be an eye shot probably or you’re going to have to hit it with every shot in the pistol and possibly even have to reload (Good luck) if attempting a body shot. What about a polar bear? The 9mm will probably wind up in its stomach with what’s left of you since adult males range from 800–1500 pounds. The skull of a bear is notoriously hard and bears have taken many a round of ammo from firearms more powerful to the body and survived. I assume in this scenario the bear is charging you or someone in your vicinity (Since why would anyone randomly pop off rounds at a bear with a 9mm). If it’s charging you it’s going to be going fast and you’re really only going an opportunity at a shot at the head/face, shoulders, or front legs. That’s going to be a hard shot to pull off and you’re likely only going to get off 1–3 rounds tops before it’s on top of you. Now you’re probably thinking “Well I’ll just shoot it in the eye or somewhere while it’s on top of me. Pull a Leo in The Revenant!” With a several hundred pound creature on top of literally chewing or scraping off your flesh you might be a little distracted, so you know best of luck with that. Even if you did manage to shoot the bear at that point you would probably not do so without serious injury to yourself as well. Say it’s charging a buddy with you though and you get a good shot at the body. Empty the magazine reload and keep firing is my best advice. Just remember your buddy is also in the same vicinity as the bear. Don’t wanna shoot him. Once again this scenario is likely not going to end without injury or death for your friend. Most seasoned hunters and outdoorsmen who frequent bear territory say that .357magnum, 10mm, or .44 magnum are the minimum safe pistol calibers for black bear territory and most agree that .454 casull is the minimum pistol caliber for grizzly and polar bears. So a 9mm is better than nothing but if you plan on traveling bear territory with a handgun only I would go with something heavier. Your best bet for surviving defending yourself against a bear is going to be a large caliber rifle, 12 gauge shotgun with slugs, or bear mace.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45616 on: July 14, 2021, 02:49:52 pm »

It doesn't matter if any/everyone "needs" something - do you really want to live in a society where if you need something, you have to jump through hoops to get it?

What about having a house? Voting? Skateboards? Swimming?  Stairs? (stairs (well, "falls") kill twice as many people per year than guns).

In other words - who am I, or you, or some committee, to say that what is a need and what isn't?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45617 on: July 14, 2021, 02:51:02 pm »

Birth control? Abortions? Transition-related care?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45618 on: July 14, 2021, 02:53:08 pm »

It depends on if you want to use the gun for more than just hunting the bear.

Take for instance, you ALSO take it moose hunting every year.

The approach I often tender, is more like this:

The need for such tools is very regional.  As is the risk for large numbers of human casualties.  The bears do not live inside the city, nor do the moose.  A person living in inner city detroit does not really need that remington hunting rifle. They arent in danger from large carnivores there.

Likewise, if woodsman brown in rural alaska goes apeshit, his closest neighbor is statistically 20 miles away, without a road to get there.  The person he is most likely to injure is himself, and nobody else.

SO-- to me at least, the sensible suggestion is to stop trying to do things at the federal level, but instead, allow cities to impose gun control rules for their municipality.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45619 on: July 14, 2021, 02:54:57 pm »

It doesn't matter if any/everyone "needs" something - do you really want to live in a society where if you need something, you have to jump through hoops to get it?

What about having a house? Voting? Skateboards? Swimming?  Stairs? (stairs (well, "falls") kill twice as many people per year than guns).

In other words - who am I, or you, or some committee, to say that what is a need and what isn't?

I try to avoid gun debate conversations, but would note that there are licensing/testing requirements (i.e. hoops) for a number of deadly substances and/or activities such as driving cars or getting ahold of certain types of pesticides. It's not comprehensive, but the concept is already quite about.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45620 on: July 14, 2021, 03:10:21 pm »

SO-- to me at least, the sensible suggestion is to stop trying to do things at the federal level

Agreed.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45621 on: July 14, 2021, 03:23:18 pm »

SO-- to me at least, the sensible suggestion is to stop trying to do things at the federal level

Agreed.

However, have we not found that municipalities and even states seem unable to enforce those laws? The Godwin's Law of gun control is Chicago, who has gun control laws but also a hella lot of guns.

There doesn't seem anywhere for gun law at this point TO go except Federal.

..... You live in that society right now. We have lots and lots of regulation on those things (maybe less so on skateboards), specifically to keep people safe and avoid abuse. You can find laws on housing ownership, building codes, and yeah, even swimming or bathing, going back thousands of years.

What if, after taking action to reduce gun numbers/profiteering as I stated earlier, we THEN gave gun industries protections? Maybe something similar to freedom of press? The government shall not interfere with the manufacture and distribution of licensed firearms, nor produce firearms of it's own accord, or some such thing.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45622 on: July 14, 2021, 03:28:59 pm »

State level is not sufficient. Some states have heavy regulations on guns, but the next state over hasn't. So someone drives over to the next state, buys a gun, and drives back. It needs to be more inconvenient than an hour's drive.

It needs to be federal. Saying that federal regulations will somehow make us unable to determine who needs gun seems absurd.

EDIT: Seems I was beat to it by Dunamisdeos.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45623 on: July 14, 2021, 04:05:27 pm »

who the fuck uses a lego glock to fend off bears

It depends upon the bears?

(I didn't want the worse-than-are-there-Republicans-who-are-Nazis old gun-control argument, I just found the "Block" gun idea to be concerning despite any of the usual arguments supporting the right to ursine forelimbs...)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #45624 on: July 14, 2021, 04:53:14 pm »

State level is not sufficient. Some states have heavy regulations on guns, but the next state over hasn't. So someone drives over to the next state, buys a gun, and drives back. It needs to be more inconvenient than an hour's drive.

Pretty sure the person in your example just committed a crime.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45625 on: July 14, 2021, 04:58:48 pm »

A crime that no one is willing to prosecute even when it happens. Besides, punishing someone for crossing state lines to buy a gun doesn't mean much after someone has already been killed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #45626 on: July 14, 2021, 05:01:28 pm »

A crime that no one is willing to prosecute even when it happens.

Then why even bother enacting gun laws if there's no will to follow through?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45627 on: July 14, 2021, 05:23:28 pm »

A federal gun law would also remove that particular issue from the equation. State courts are required to enforce federal law. I believe this is the primary driving force behind the push for federal gun laws.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45628 on: July 14, 2021, 05:39:28 pm »

You say that like someone's unwillingness to enforce the laws we already have is some how an indication of the rightness of their position.

Let's call it what it actually is: sabotaging enforcement of established laws because of their own political beliefs.

Claiming otherwise is like saying an elected official's unwillingness to drive the posted speed limit is evidence that we don't need speed limits.

The public's elected officials voted this law into being. Ergo, not enforcing it is subverting the will of the electorate. You know, that thing that Conservative Republicans are always claiming happens. Like so many things, they only disapprove of laws when it's not in their benefit to have them. Voting restrictions? 100% Enforcing the meager gun laws we already have? TYRANNY.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45629 on: July 14, 2021, 05:59:25 pm »

Pretty sure the person in your example just committed a crime.

Yes, people willing to commit crimes are my primary concern here... If they don't have a problem shooting people, I doubt they give a shit about driving to the next state to get a gun.
Pages: 1 ... 3040 3041 [3042] 3043 3044 ... 3566