Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3030 3031 [3032] 3033 3034 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210779 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45465 on: June 21, 2021, 10:03:57 am »

It depends on your standards. Astronomically you can either start counting Summer at the Solstice (Autumn/Fall, Winter and Spring at the respective Equinoces/counterpart Solstice, the common practice) or indeed align that date (or datetime) with the centre or use the midway eighth-marks betwixt the quarter-points (a bit rarer, and differs according to how you calculate it due to annual orbital fluctuations and the rest).

Meteorologists tend to subscribe to something straight and simple like "June July August" (92 days) as Summer, and likewise ascribe three whole months in their entirety to each of the other seasons (91 days, 90/91 days, 92 days - making verdant spring and heady summer longer than dreary autumn or bleak winter - but the other way round in the southern hemisphere, of course).

Children are often tied to the (local) alignment of elements in the Academic Year, with the long, warm Halcyon Days Of Summer (whatever the weather actually serves) starting the instant you're set free from the last class of that final term/semester of the year (though itself maybe called the "summer term", somehow "winter term" is the one that doesn't exist in my own memory, the year roughly thirded amongst the others, with Easter Break somehow accomodated despite its fidgetting around the calendar) , Autumn possibly when they return , etc. And even several decades on, from the dozen or so years only of such dictated alignment, I can still feel some of that quite specific ebb-and-flow.

Practically, your locale might celebrate spring as the sudden cracking of the river ice so that it starts flowing again, or the ability to use the harbour again for early-season fishing in the (ant)arctic waters. That's probably even more prone to wether-blips and climatic changes than the places that track by the blossoming of a certain tree, and other natural events (first frost?) for other season changes. Or assumed lengths keyed by the cues/hindsight of when that cue (the last frost?) clearly occured.

"Mid-Summer's Solstice" is clearly more from a non-celestial Summer, to which the Solstice concerned is (a)mid(st), within, an occurance of note but not in itself a definition... A mash-up with the term for that special day within the period of Summer that has traditionally been marked with whatever rituals, festivals or feasts as have been set in stone (or hay) as Mid-Summer's Day. Ditto with Mid-Winter, yet I think the Equinoces are never considered Mid- of anything. The maypoles and corn-dollies and daffodills and pumpkins tend to just get smudged around to a more convenient point innthe calendar than necessarily guided by the solar passage across the ecliptic, etc.

Still, I do like pointing out that days only get shorter in (my prefered version of) Summer. Or I may out-pedant someone by saying that "no, they're all 24 hours long". Or I may further out-pedant someone who so tried to out-pedant me, that way, by pointing out that the Moon is lengthening days (in 50 millenia, or so, Leap Seconds would not just be required every few end-of-years, or even at the end of every month, but Every. Single. Day...), those of us not already more tied to Mars's clock-cycle (already notably longer) or some other dissassociated (or delinked) clock.

And let us not forget the equitorials, and those not far from, for whom the key marker and season is marked by the likes of something like monsoons or their absence.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #45466 on: June 22, 2021, 06:42:32 am »

In Swedish it a called the midsummer and midwinter sun erections
Please do not lewd the changing of the seasons

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45467 on: June 22, 2021, 08:03:30 am »

It's cuz you know the temperatures makes our dicks grow or shrink. So in the middle of summer the erections are the longest and in the winter they are the shortest
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45468 on: June 22, 2021, 08:07:44 pm »

naruhodo
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45469 on: June 22, 2021, 08:33:59 pm »

... as hard as possible?

There's something poignant in that sounding like some kind of multilayered naruto slashfic reference, tbh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45470 on: June 23, 2021, 01:45:19 am »

naruhodo

No, it means literally, "ah, of course." With the humor being that it's often employed to actually mean "that makes no sense." (like yeah... right...)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45471 on: June 23, 2021, 07:04:24 am »

naruhodo

No, it means literally, "ah, of course." With the humor being that it's often employed to actually mean "that makes no sense." (like yeah... right...)

Naruhodo...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45472 on: June 23, 2021, 07:17:16 am »

Someone needs to tell google, then, heh. The snippet that pops up right at the top when I search for it is
Naruhodo is an exclamation to express the feeling of being convinced by the opinions of others. Naruhodo originally means “as much as possible” or “as hard as possible.” Today, it is mostly used as a term of agreement, understanding, and conviction.

Which, I mean. Does make it fit the discussion that was happening better than just about any term of agreement I'm aware of, y'know? While also nicely slotting into that "oblique slashfic innuendo" communication niche! You wouldn't have any trouble convincing me the usage there was intentional :P
Ask not!
Ask!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45473 on: June 23, 2021, 08:43:47 am »

naruhodo
Yes I like Phoenix Wright too!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45474 on: June 23, 2021, 09:32:53 am »

Someone needs to tell google, then, heh. The snippet that pops up right at the top when I search for it is
Naruhodo is an exclamation to express the feeling of being convinced by the opinions of others. Naruhodo originally means “as much as possible” or “as hard as possible.” Today, it is mostly used as a term of agreement, understanding, and conviction.

I'm definitely choosing to believe my argument convinced Vector to believe my opinion
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45475 on: June 24, 2021, 01:20:45 am »

A convincing argument! [derogatory]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45476 on: June 24, 2021, 06:18:14 pm »

Geesh what a tragedy in Miami Beach. I hope they find more survivors, but looking at that pile of rubble I don't have high hopes for those inside the building.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45477 on: June 24, 2021, 06:23:37 pm »

Huh, first I've seen mention of that. Looks like a 30+ year old building collapsed, not entirely sure why, yet, but likely poor maintenance on top of shit building location.

Honestly, given how piss poor infrastructure work is in a lot of this state, it's somewhat surprising we don't see this kind of thing happen more. Maybe there just hasn't been enough time since the big buildings started to really get built...
Ask not!
Ask!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #45479 on: June 25, 2021, 06:22:37 am »

Affirmative action? In my Florida? It's more likely than you think!

In other news, the President whispered creepily into his mic several times yesterday.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 3030 3031 [3032] 3033 3034 ... 3566