Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2911 2912 [2913] 2914 2915 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241338 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43680 on: January 30, 2021, 03:13:39 pm »

There's a second entrance, but it's guarded by a Sphinx and a couple of brothers that one always lies and the other always tells the truth.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43681 on: January 30, 2021, 04:10:50 pm »

... or... whatever those dome things are actually called. Just realized I don't know if they have another name.

Isn't that a jungle gym? I thought monkey bars were specifically the horizontal ladders

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43682 on: January 30, 2021, 05:43:46 pm »

if i knew what these things were called i wouldn't have caveated that post :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43683 on: January 30, 2021, 05:52:25 pm »

As a modern subset of the generic "Climbing Frame" (this being AmeriPol, I don't begrudge the term "Jungle Gym" - though I have never heard it used outwith the all-ervasive US media/reference... I don't think it has seeped into UK culture) I've never heard of a specific name for the dome types.

(Back in my day, climbing-frames tended to be almost always the exact same purely cubic framework, maybe of varying size/complexity but (IIRC) four or five 'cubes' high in general, five or size 'cubes' square in plan with a further inner fifth/sixth level in the middle of the top.  All set into the ground in a huge slab of rough concrete, sprinkled loosely with broken beer-bottle glass. Greater imagination didn't tend to happen than that. Except for what colour to paint the welded-solid scrap steamroller they might also have stationed near to the swings and slide.)

So, "dome-type {climbing frame|jungle gym}" would work with me.

"Monkey bars", for me, is the (sub-component?) frame that's the elevated 'horizontal ladder' that you're supposed to swing-walk, dangling from your arms, often as part of a more imaginative 'course' (connected; or disconnected but in line, with on/off-zones between that and the balance-log, climbing wall, pillar-tops, etc) or as an optional limb/mid-connector of a multi-activity climbing-frame assembly.

But I imagine that there's all kinds of names used, given kids' immediate need to identify such things among their peers (with greater or lesser adult cultural influence), away from any immediate contact with the all-knowledgeable adults, or the official play-frame sales catalogues.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43684 on: January 30, 2021, 07:12:17 pm »

Yeah, we always just called that "the structure" locally (meaning the collective climbing apparatus).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43685 on: January 30, 2021, 08:42:36 pm »

have you experienced your enjoyment for today from "the structure?"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43686 on: January 30, 2021, 09:32:27 pm »

There's a second entrance, but it's guarded by a Sphinx and a couple of brothers that one always lies and the other always tells the truth.

It's always "Which way would the other guy tell me to go?" then do the opposite.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43687 on: January 30, 2021, 09:43:19 pm »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43688 on: January 31, 2021, 12:29:40 am »

Politics in America are on break, please hold while we collectively inhale for the next shouting match.

Jungle Gym is a trademarked product, installed in so many schools that the name became common.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43689 on: January 31, 2021, 09:00:12 am »

Trump has reportedly parted ways with his lawyers ahead of Impeachment 2: Electric Boogaloo. ("Mutually agreed", it says, though this means as little as "after a lot of argument about it in private, the party that wasn't keen on quitting agreed it was better to not be publically seen as not keen on the now inevitable quitting". Whichever party that was.)

Although I think the odds currently look like it's an Aquittal result (depends on what hidden machinations[1] there are within the GOP side that might be festering the full 17 votes needed from there), I think it's probably a tactic - either way - for Trump to not be lawyer represented and thus his win/loss is despite/because of the 'overwhelming bias' set against him by the ranks of actual 'legal-advisors' put up there by his enemies.

[1] Maybe the reason for Mitch 'not looking unkindly' on the impeachment was to force the attempt (though he also did that by not supporting the succession of Pence, and the Dems couldn't not roll the impeachment on without looking weak) though he actually knew it'd still not go through the second phase. Hard to tell, what with the Republicans complaining that there was no (proper) evidencial hearings in the first step but now refusing to hear evidence in the second step, last I heard. It's like logic matters not.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43690 on: January 31, 2021, 10:38:04 am »

Yeah I heard the departing lawyers wanted to push the "can't impeach a non-sitting president" technicality, whereas the gingerbread-man was all gung-ho about running the "they stole the election" line.

Assuming an acquittal does happen on the former grounds doesn't that leave the 'interesting' situation where a president in the dying phase of their presidency is immune even from impeachment so long as pragmatically there is not time for "due" (haha) process to take place.  As if the bloody 'loose cannons" had to be given further license.  ::)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43691 on: January 31, 2021, 01:06:20 pm »

Hard to tell, what with the Republicans complaining that there was no (proper) evidencial hearings in the first step but now refusing to hear evidence in the second step, last I heard. It's like logic matters not.

I think it's more of a "You couldn't be bothered, why should we?"

Assuming an acquittal does happen on the former grounds doesn't that leave the 'interesting' situation where a president in the dying phase of their presidency is immune even from impeachment so long as pragmatically there is not time for "due" (haha) process to take place.  As if the bloody 'loose cannons" had to be given further license.  ::)

They can likely be prosecuted after leaving office. Gerald Ford pardoned Nixon, and Bill Clinton settled on a fine, so it hasn't been tested yet. We also haven't tested a president pardoning themselves.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43692 on: January 31, 2021, 02:29:38 pm »

So what you are saying is that Trump should be facing Treason charges rather than Impeachment?   If that is a common understanding why is that investigation/indictment not underway (or am I just unaware of it happening)?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43693 on: January 31, 2021, 03:25:52 pm »

Sedition or incitement or something along those lines, if you're going that route. Treason is stupidly specific in US law. It might be on the table anyway, too, I'unno. It's only been a few weeks since the coup attempt and fewer since the orange fuck became an ex-president, so whatever legal stuff is brewing is still grinding its way to the various starting lines.

Unlike the trump's lot, losing almost every court case filed isn't seen as a good idea for most folks, so it takes time to get things in order.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:27:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43694 on: January 31, 2021, 03:37:59 pm »

He took the football home with him after leaving the White House. Isn't that enough for a High Treason charge followed by death by firing squad?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 2911 2912 [2913] 2914 2915 ... 3567