Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2906 2907 [2908] 2909 2910 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242036 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43605 on: January 25, 2021, 09:27:16 am »

I should probably read more detail on what the Biden administration is supposedly planning for anti-trust...

I wonder if we'd have more success at antitrust if, instead of fining companies, we fined executives and board members. Or something like "if you are convicted of this, you are no longer eligible to serve on a board" or something.

I mean if you fine a company out of existence, that doesn't benefit anyone and often hurts employees and the public (by making supply more expensive). If you fine the folks who are making the deals, that may actually have an impact.

This would also potentially avoid the issue of fining a company that is "bankrupt" so has no funds, because the funds were all paid to executives / board members.

The late-night thought process was "even if you break up a company, the people that made the company that abused market position are still able, without consequence, to try and make another abusive company."
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43606 on: January 25, 2021, 09:35:10 am »

providing infrastructure is producing something.
Yes, services. But through private enterprises.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43607 on: January 25, 2021, 10:11:29 am »

Yeah uh... government should absolutely provide essential services, not the private sector. Otherwise, why does the government even exist?

To give an example: here in Brasil, registries (unsure of translation, places where documents get verified as true) are private. This means that when my father died, I had to pay money, a lot in fact, to declare him legally dead.

So fuck private enterprise in essential services.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43608 on: January 25, 2021, 10:18:16 am »

But that is a administrative service, which by all logic should be only goverment issue. I meant infraestructure like roads, and such, while administrative and security services should be done by the goverment because thats like the only reason they should exist anyway.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43609 on: January 25, 2021, 11:03:21 am »

Private companies building roads means roads take for-fucking-ever to actually get built, they never bother to maintain old roads, and you end up with ugly, traffic clogged suburbs with useless cul-de-sacs everywhere because that's cheaper to build and maintain and easier to sell to idiot housewives.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43610 on: January 25, 2021, 11:34:51 am »

No with proper management. You hand out a licitation (dunno the word in english) with very clear definitons on how long can it take, how long it must last under normal use and of the company takes too much to build they get fined, if the road fails under proper use before it should they have to repair it, if they overshoot they budget they have to come up with the money.... you get the drift. The idea is you make a lousy work yoy lose money.

Public companies here on the other side gets paid daily the road advances or not, so, they belong to the goverment so they dont answer to anyone... there is a hole in the street by my building that has not been covered in like 8 years or more, despite several billboards stating the street have been repaired over the years.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:32:35 pm by LordBaal »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43611 on: January 25, 2021, 12:33:53 pm »

No with proper management. You hand out a licitation (dunno the word in english) with very clear definitons on how long can it take, how long it must last under normal use and of the company takes too much to build they get fined, if the road fails under proper use before it should they have to repair it, if they overshoot they budget they have to come up with the money.... you get the drift.

A) We end up with shitty road contractors because gov wants to save money, that's why this shit's privatized in the first place.  And yet again privatization was penny wise but pound foolish, just like healthcare is.

B) If you need to micro manage so much just to get a basic job done right, why not just hire them as gov workers and do it normally?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43612 on: January 25, 2021, 01:19:04 pm »

And you end up with yet another bloated gummit and a damn hole in your street for a decade or more. Bravo!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43613 on: January 25, 2021, 01:35:27 pm »

Outsourcing jobs to private contractors doesn't shrink gummit, it just moves it around.  Nobody has an incentive to do a good job on these things.  You pay for the road whether or not you use it and unless you live in a city center not driving isn't an option.

Remember when California contracted companies to move debris after the Big Fire (just pick one, doesn't matter) and they filled their trucks with soil and concrete from house foundations cause they were paying by the pound?
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43614 on: January 25, 2021, 01:42:52 pm »

You operate on the misapprehension that bloat inefficiency is both universal in the public sector and inexistent in the private one. Both are clearly untrue.

And before you give me a "no, but in the private sector inefficiency is weeded out" yadda yadda: no it isn't. That's largely what corporate bloat is about. In a small business, public or private, leeches will be outed soon. In a large one, public or private, burocracy is convulted enough  that many remora (and a few lampreys) can hitch a ride.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:45:33 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43615 on: January 25, 2021, 01:44:53 pm »

And before you give me a "no, but in the private sector inefficiency is weeded out" yadda yadda: no it isn't. That's largely what corporate bloat is about.

The horrors of middle management.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43616 on: January 25, 2021, 01:46:01 pm »

And before you give me a "no, but in the private sector inefficiency is weeded out" yadda yadda: no it isn't. That's largely what corporate bloat is about.

The horrors of middle management.
You dont know half of it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43617 on: January 25, 2021, 02:15:55 pm »

My favorite part of that sort of bloat is when they try to improve and modernize a thing or a process, so they hire someone new whose only knowledge of the thing is theoretical and completely out of touch with the reality of it. Which leads to the always fun exchange of listening to a lecture on how things 'should' work before going "Yeah, nah, that's impossible for us"
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43618 on: January 25, 2021, 02:17:02 pm »

12 people in a meeting, only two of them doing any actual work. That's my world.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43619 on: January 25, 2021, 02:41:43 pm »

What's the name of that city in India where they tried doing everything via private actors?

I seem to recall it ending up as something of a catastrophe, when all the various companies refused to cooperate with their competitors in a given utility. So you had like 3-4 different sewer systems, none of which were connected to each other, all of them just terminating at the first available "not-my-problem" location at the edge of their subscriber base. Same for the roads.
Pages: 1 ... 2906 2907 [2908] 2909 2910 ... 3568