Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2825 2826 [2827] 2828 2829 ... 3571

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4260383 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42390 on: November 29, 2020, 07:10:59 pm »

The problem is the president tried his best, and succeeded with about half of Americans, that the pandemic wasn't a big issue and that you shouldn't care about it.

In the face of a good chunk of refusing to do any preventive measures at all (on top of the normal selfish people that simply would never cooperate) you need extreme measures to contain it, and surprise surprise, president Covid refused to actually implement anything anywhere that would help.

It really didn't need to be this way, and I honestly think if we had any other republican president ever this whole thing would have so much better, they would have started preparing as soon as they heard about it and we would have had a massive government-led Covid response and they would have been overwhelmingly elected to a second term with the entire nation behind them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42391 on: November 29, 2020, 07:14:35 pm »

It really didn't need to be this way, and I honestly think if we had any other republican president ever this whole thing would have so much better, they would have started preparing as soon as they heard about it and we would have had a massive government-led Covid response and they would have been overwhelmingly elected to a second term with the entire nation behind them.

It literally could've been the easiest election to win in history.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42392 on: November 29, 2020, 07:27:34 pm »

Being in the position of being a Wartime President without having started the war...

"Dig For Victory" (or whatever y'all did over there... "Rivet With Rosie" or the like).  But it wouldn't have fit the established narrative, so he couldn't get to anything like "Use your mask, Keep your distance, Look out for each other" if he wanted.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42393 on: November 29, 2020, 07:30:57 pm »

I’m referring to internal border closures intended to prevent geographic spread of the virus so as to pursue a divide-and-conquer type strategy where poor-performing regions don’t jeopardise successful ones. Eliminating the virus in one region is hard. Doing so in every region simultaneously is madness.

No disagreement about the folly of rushing to reopen. Point was: no strategy.

A different administration probably could have prevented it, but they still would have needed a strategy to do it. But I wasn’t really considering the counter factual scenario where the Republicans have sane leadership.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:35:27 pm by thompson »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #42394 on: November 29, 2020, 08:18:49 pm »

The US policy to lockdowns was penny-wise and pound-foolish. On both the federal level and that of individual states (and often cities), goverments were often either pressured, decided of their own accord, or a combination of both, to delay lockdowns, to keep them as light as possible, and to end them as soon as possible. This constant "shaving" of a day here, a week there, a delay here, a restriction less; all have been paid many times over now.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #42395 on: November 30, 2020, 12:37:45 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_coup

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #42396 on: November 30, 2020, 01:20:08 am »

Hopefully we don't get a "see disambiguation page" box at the top of that article anytime soon.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #42397 on: November 30, 2020, 03:02:04 am »

Hopefully we don't get a "see disambiguation page" box at the top of that article anytime soon.

Quote from: that article
This article is about the card game. For the 2020 United States presidential election fraud conspiracy theory, see Stop the Steal.
Kind of disturbing seeing the disambiguation link to a conspiracy theory about Biden, and not Trump’s actual attempts at a coup. It belies the ”Trump coup” title.
But I suppose 1. Trump’s tries are more than a conspiracy theory and 2. that conspiracy theory is his main tool/method for a coup, and thus very relevant to the discussion.

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42398 on: November 30, 2020, 08:39:15 am »

About the lockdown conversation, I personally think that we should've been taking a closer eye to countries like Vietnam. They're a country somewhere between first-world and third-world (I'd say second world, but that's a descriptor for former communist countries, whereas Vietnam still is communist, only with some liberal influence nowadays), and only have had about ~1,300 cases and ~30 deaths. It's really impressive, and we should really be looking at what they're doing right.
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42399 on: November 30, 2020, 11:28:44 am »

About the lockdown conversation, I personally think that we should've been taking a closer eye to countries like Vietnam. They're a country somewhere between first-world and third-world (I'd say second world, but that's a descriptor for former communist countries, whereas Vietnam still is communist, only with some liberal influence nowadays), and only have had about ~1,300 cases and ~30 deaths. It's really impressive, and we should really be looking at what they're doing right.

Or, as the skeptic in me says, suspiciously under-reported.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42400 on: November 30, 2020, 11:59:19 am »

If I may ask, where's your evidence that these numbers are under-reported? Where is your evidence that Vietnam has a history of doing this in the past? A claim like that is - pardon my french - bullshit, without evidence.
i TOLD you DOG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42401 on: November 30, 2020, 12:23:26 pm »

If I may ask, where's your evidence that these numbers are under-reported? Where is your evidence that Vietnam has a history of doing this in the past? A claim like that is - pardon my french - bullshit, without evidence.

My, aren't WE defensive. I said the skeptic in me, and didn't provide any evidence for a reason. But gee, I dunno, maybe every other country in the world, including the US, doing it to save face might be an indication?

Here, let's try this. Where's your proof that Vietnam is a magical realm of no corruption and total honesty? WHY DIDN'T YOU PROVIDE THAT ALONG WITH YOUR POST HHHHHHHRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM?

Or maybe just chill the fuck out.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42402 on: November 30, 2020, 12:29:03 pm »

Dude, it was a joke. Chill the fuck out yaself.
And, I didn't say Vietnam was a 'magical realm of no corruption and total honesty'. The country isn't perfect, no country is. Hell, I'm an anarchist, I fuckin' hate states as a concept.
But there isn't any evidence of Vietnam lying about its numbers of COVID.

I think it's unintentional, but you're pulling a strawman. I simply said that Vietnam is doing good things, and that you need evidence to back up an idea that Vietnam is lying about its COVID count. You made me seem like I was saying it was a 'perfect country', which, no, I'm not. I'm saying it's doing a better job than a global superpower at stopping the current pandemic, and that we should see what it is doing to counter the pandemic.
i TOLD you DOG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42403 on: November 30, 2020, 12:32:26 pm »

"It's was a joke."

"But I'm also calling complete bullshit."

Uh-huh. Welcome to Ameripol, guy who has never posted here before.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:37:03 pm by nenjin »

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42404 on: November 30, 2020, 12:36:28 pm »

Thanks.

And, yeah. I made a joke. Pointing that out toooootally counters my entire point. Sure.

But lets try and tone it down. I don't want this to devolve into an argument.
i TOLD you DOG
Pages: 1 ... 2825 2826 [2827] 2828 2829 ... 3571