Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2607 2608 [2609] 2610 2611 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229645 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39120 on: September 04, 2020, 05:33:59 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:41:35 pm by dragdeler »
let

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39121 on: September 04, 2020, 05:41:46 pm »

"Don't join the military because it makes you a sinner" is not the right way of looking at this to begin with, both because capitalism does stain our entire species by that standard and because Protestant moral theory is no more reasonable now than it has ever been.

Of course, if you actually commit or order a war crime yourself that doesn't apply, which is the real lesson - the best way to not commit war crimes is to never join the military.

The true objective behind objecting to the military should always to be damage the cultural standing and acceptability of the military and of imperialism, because this is an actually effective path to limiting how much imperialism actually gets carried out and thus to reducing the amount of people murdered to keep the empire running.

This is the reason that America always plays the victim in its wars even when it's patently absurd that America could ever be the victimized party - to make sure people don't object and water down the authority to just slaughter whoever the fuck they feel like slaughtering.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39122 on: September 04, 2020, 05:44:56 pm »

Fair enough, you got me. It still bothers me that people play the "I didn't know" card, though.
US Education produces mixed results, some would say by design

I'm sorry if the job description goes: a command chain designed for the most efficient use of lethal force - you got yourself a red flag no matter how generously you flush out the supposed meaning of the employed term "effecient". I'll only accept reason number 4 in that it equates to being young and naive.
Yeah nah, an Army Imam/Chaplain, a canteen assistant who did nothing but peel potatoes or a logistics officer that spent their 8 years managing inventories, a fucking doctor who does the exact opposite of efficiently killing someone e.t.c.
Vast majority of US armed forces roles will never see combat. Plus the nature of war itself has changed, a USN sailor or pilot for example is probably not going to fire a single shot at any Chinese or Russian personnel any time soon, but they are going to maintain the capability. The primary objective of all the US armed forces is not to be lethal, it is to project power & not be fucked up by its own imposing bureaucratic size, opposing information control & electronic warfare. In cases like Iraq and Afghanistan the US army focuses on training the local military and police forces, not on killing Taliban or ISIS. So even in these examples the command structures are focused on doing different things, it doesn't help to be reductive

So would you say all legally criminal people are inherently bad people? It keeps making just as much (or little) sense if you switch it around. Consistently since a page.
The fact that it doesn't make sense is more reason for you to agree with me :P

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39123 on: September 04, 2020, 05:46:42 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:41:38 pm by dragdeler »
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39124 on: September 04, 2020, 05:46:55 pm »

"Don't join the military because it makes you a sinner" is not the right way of looking at this to begin with, both because capitalism does stain our entire species by that standard and because Protestant moral theory is no more reasonable now than it has ever been.

Of course, if you actually commit or order a war crime yourself that doesn't apply, which is the real lesson - the best way to not commit war crimes is to never join the military.

The true objective behind objecting to the military should always to be damage the cultural standing and acceptability of the military and of imperialism, because this is an actually effective path to limiting how much imperialism actually gets carried out and thus to reducing the amount of people murdered to keep the empire running.

This is the reason that America always plays the victim in its wars even when it's patently absurd that America could ever be the victimized party - to make sure people don't object and water down the authority to just slaughter whoever the fuck they feel like slaughtering.
Reminds me of all the criticism of the Military-Entertainment complex and their scary foreigners

*EDIT
Kinda interesting is how China's own agenda is also affecting the military-entertainment complex, like when they got the Taiwan and Japan flag taken off Tom Cruise's jacket in the new topgun, or that one marvel capeshit Dr. Strange where they removed all references to tibet
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 05:48:56 pm by Loud Whispers »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39125 on: September 04, 2020, 05:55:24 pm »

That's more the entertainment-China complex - China is touchy about a lot more than its military adventures. And the entertainment industry is quick to add, the China-everything complex. Or at least that's what I heard on the BBC today.

Poor Winnie the Pooh.
One wheel short of a wagon

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39126 on: September 04, 2020, 06:02:09 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:41:42 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39127 on: September 04, 2020, 06:06:02 pm »

I do recommend not openly ignoring the parts of an issue that don't support your views if you want to be considered reliable, though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39128 on: September 04, 2020, 06:12:55 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:41:45 pm by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39129 on: September 04, 2020, 06:14:04 pm »

I'm sure organised crime never employed perfectly normal people for perfectly normal tasks.

Considering the IRS caught them, they certainly didn't hire accountants...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39130 on: September 04, 2020, 06:35:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:41:50 pm by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39131 on: September 04, 2020, 07:02:51 pm »

That sack of shit Joe "Racial Jungle" Biden is claiming he helped civil rights and de-segregation?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #39132 on: September 04, 2020, 08:06:08 pm »

I'm sure organised crime never employed perfectly normal people for perfectly normal tasks.

Considering the IRS caught them, they certainly didn't hire accountants...

Well they did hire accountants, they just weren’t good enough at hiding the fact they didn’t pay taxes.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39133 on: September 04, 2020, 09:46:10 pm »

Trump is being a nice Putin-lapdog again by stating that he has not seen evidence that Navalny was poisoned with Novitsjok
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39134 on: September 04, 2020, 10:00:35 pm »

Trump is being a nice Putin-lapdog again by stating that he has not seen evidence that Navalny was poisoned with Novitsjok
Well, did he? I mean I haven't personally seen evidence of that either. I feel like this one is actually fair, because, if he says he has when he actually hasn't, it would be a diplomatic incident. I know he doesn't always avoid causing those but that doesn't mean he shouldn't when he does. :P
Pages: 1 ... 2607 2608 [2609] 2610 2611 ... 3567