Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225482 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37665 on: June 29, 2020, 03:27:08 pm »

It's probably everywhere except here

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37666 on: June 29, 2020, 03:52:12 pm »

But do you know who else was spreading hate on Reddit and got banned??
r/BigChungus.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37667 on: June 29, 2020, 07:14:06 pm »

Seeing as bringing up Reddit shenanigans is suddenly AmeriPol content...

Rule 1: Remember the human. Reddit is a place for creating community and belonging, not for attacking marginalized or vulnerable groups of people. Everyone has a right to use Reddit free of harassment, bullying, and threats of violence. Communities and people that incite violence or that promote hate based on identity or vulnerability will be banned.

Marginalized or vulnerable groups include, but are not limited to, groups based on their actual and perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, immigration status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or disability. These include victims of a major violent event and their families.

While the rule on hate protects such groups, it does not protect all groups or all forms of identity. For example, the rule does not protect groups of people who are in the majority or who promote such attacks of hate.

Emphasis mine.

1. Rules for me, not for thee, apparently. Yaaaaay...

2. Aaron Swartz is rolling in his grave.

3. Which majority? American? Global? Subreddit?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37668 on: June 29, 2020, 08:00:51 pm »

I once had a dude tell me that white men are "marginalized". Which groups are marginalized and which are not should be obvious, but apparently not! Such is the blinding nature of privilege I guess.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37669 on: June 29, 2020, 08:27:17 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 03:06:19 am by Max™ »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37670 on: June 29, 2020, 08:43:44 pm »

Plenty of people love him? Don't make the mistake of thinking Trump isn't popular. He represents the true nature of America more than any of us, that's for sure.

His big mistake was not installing loyal military officers and not coordinating his judicial picks (they are aligned, but disorganized imo), which will make actually disbarring the election results hard. Of course he could just win (or "win") the election outright, in which case the GOP will probably start organizing to arrange a third term, assuming the United States continues to exist as a distinct government in 2024.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37671 on: June 29, 2020, 09:51:58 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 03:06:32 am by Max™ »

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37672 on: June 29, 2020, 10:11:14 pm »

Plenty of people love him? Don't make the mistake of thinking Trump isn't popular. He represents the true nature of America more than any of us, that's for sure.

His big mistake was not installing loyal military officers and not coordinating his judicial picks (they are aligned, but disorganized imo), which will make actually disbarring the election results hard. Of course he could just win (or "win") the election outright, in which case the GOP will probably start organizing to arrange a third term, assuming the United States continues to exist as a distinct government in 2024.

I'd say his judicial picks are the best part of his presidency.  He filled out all of our vacancies with mostly quality judges.  How did he do this?  He effectively outsourced the picks to the Federalist Society in exchange for support from the right.  The Federalist Society nominated constitutionalist judges which we desperately need to replace the judicial activists that have filled the ranks.  That these judges, after sitting through absolutely uncalled for badgering at the hands of Democrats for NOT being 'their kind' of judicial activists and softball questions at the hands of Republicans who thought they were going to be 'their kind' of judicial activists, are adhering to the constitutionalist views they assured us they would have is a huge relief.  Its ironic that the best part of his presidency is likely making him angry.  I hope they're making lots of partisans on both sides angry.

Maybe this will prompt Congress to stop being utterly useless and start doing their job that they have been derelict in since...oh...the W Bush days?  Can't rely on the judges to legislate everything from the bench for you anymore, congress critters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37673 on: June 30, 2020, 06:22:53 am »

The Federalist Society has their own agenda, beyond just "muh constitution". Don't think they're impartial.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37674 on: June 30, 2020, 08:33:48 am »

Some of us think it's possible to support women's rights without having to promote/normalize abortion.  It's an interesting trick, intentional or otherwise, to make them synonymous.

Note I say promote/normalize intentionally: I think there are valid reasons to have it be legal, but I think it should be a decision of last resort rather than something commonplace.  The counters on Worldometer for abortion are... sobering. If they are accurate - 21 million so far this year? And we are worried about 500k from a virus in the same timeframe...yeah I'll call humanity out on that one.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37675 on: June 30, 2020, 08:44:31 am »

Please remember, McTraveler, most abortions are extremely early term. To many, there is not a full human being inside the womb until after a good bit of time. I understand that you have your own beliefs, but others have views that shape the discussion differently.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37676 on: June 30, 2020, 09:04:13 am »

Some of us think it's possible to support women's rights without having to promote/normalize abortion.  It's an interesting trick, intentional or otherwise, to make them synonymous.

Note I say promote/normalize intentionally: I think there are valid reasons to have it be legal, but I think it should be a decision of last resort rather than something commonplace.  The counters on Worldometer for abortion are... sobering. If they are accurate - 21 million so far this year? And we are worried about 500k from a virus in the same timeframe...yeah I'll call humanity out on that one.
I'd be ok with anti-abortion if the feds/state were actually willing to take/support the children in all cases.

If our culture didn't demean women/couples who does not want to/cannot take of their own children and actually help with it or take full custody where appropriate. 
But hey, reality, most cases, they are left to fend for themselves afterwards, with the chance the woman loses her job because the workplace does not care why they are taking so much time off and/or unwilling to continue to pay them during maternity leave.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37677 on: June 30, 2020, 09:13:26 am »

I'd be ok with anti-abortion if the feds/state were actually willing to take/support the children in all cases.

If our culture didn't demean women/couples who does not want to/cannot take of their own children and actually help with it or take full custody where appropriate. 
But hey, reality, most cases, they are left to fend for themselves afterwards, with the chance the woman loses her job because the workplace does not care why they are taking so much time off and/or unwilling to continue to pay them during maternity leave.

That's part of what I meant by the "promotion/normalization" of abortion - our society has said it's more palatable to have abortions than to support mothers, to make it more affordable to do adoption, etc.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37678 on: June 30, 2020, 09:20:22 am »

No, just no on so many levels. First of all human rights. Children have a right to know, and grow up with their biological parents.
Second, you really want children condemned to the horror that is youth care institutions?
State care for a child should be very much a last resort option for those cases were there is obvious danger to the development of the child in it's home situation.  And even then it often does more harm then good.
You seem to have no idea how terrible a setting to grow up in that is for child.
Good point, but not for anti-abortion, just for a reform of the employment system to allow parenting time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:25:08 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37679 on: June 30, 2020, 09:21:05 am »

Even aside from childcare, that 9 months of pregnancy can do untold damage to a woman's body, work environment, etc, along with the obvious cost of 9 months of their life.

There's no ethical anti-abortion stance until we can literally take out the embryo and grow it in a jar. And even then, there's the aforementioned problems with state childcare that are not remotely close to being solved.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 ... 3566